• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
May I see the scans that support this? Because the one in the OP does not have any metafictional elements at all. Also, type 5 needs metafictional elements if you want to include plot manipulation, so you can get both abilities.
My argument wasn't about direct statements or implications?, the argument i made was saying that regardless of the series, speech bubbles are innately metafictional since they're directly used by the author to convey the plot in a textual form. Which means to interact with, change or manipulate the text of this innately metafictional structure, you would inherently need a level of Plot Manipulation. I'm not saying within Bleach we have this or that statement or implication.

So i don't have any scans for you regarding that, if you need scans of Ichibe directly manipulating speech bubbles then I can grab those for you.

This is a bit complicated due to our standards of handling those cases. The fact that there is no direct statement or implication leads to the conclusion that this won't fit for the ability that it is requested.

While it is possible to view speech bubbles as metafictional, it is also possible to argue that they serve primarily as visual elements. Consequently, we believe that including direct statements or implications is necessary in order to accurately categorize this ability.

I would preferably add this under text manipulation and CM 2.

Last edited:
This is a bit complicated due to our standards of handling those cases. The fact that there is no direct statement or implication leads to the conclusion that this won't fit for the ability that it is requested.

Also, you could argue that speech bubbles are metafictional, but others would also argue it is for visual effects, therefore it is significant that any direct statements or implication is required for this.

I would preferably add this under text manipulation and CM 2.
Actually i found something, i was searching through our list of abilities and came across this.

However, some fictions employ the literary technique of Breaking the Fourth Wall. This includes talking to the audience, affecting the "real world", rewriting speech bubbles, acknowledging that they are part of a fictional world, and even leaving the fictional work itself and entering the "real world" (represented, obviously, by a fictionalized version of the real world).

It directly brings up rewriting speech bubbles as an indication of the ability, which Ichibe did, i believe this would make more sense in this situation to use instead of Text Manipulation given this description tbh.

I mean, you can add it as breaking the fourth wall as well. This is a good suggestion.

Honestly, breaking the fourth wall seems more reasonable than plot manipulation, as it does not meet the necessary criteria for the requested ability due to the lack of direct statements or implications.

Also, thanks for pointing out about the second part. Seems text manipulation won't work in this matter.

What are the accepted conclusions so I can update the blog
Plot Manipulation gets changed to Breaking the Fourth Wall as it fits more within the criteria of Breaking the Fourth Wall comparative to Plot Manipulation.

Ichibe gets Type 1 Text Manipulation as explained here.

Ichibe should also get Memory Manipulation given the fact when he inks someone's name no one can remember said name.

Back