• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I find that to be very contradictory to what's suggested in the series, so no. I think anything involving Base Sonic and Super Sonic both being relative in speed to the same guy is just not valid in my eyes

From where I’m standing they almost never suggest Sonic needs to use his super form specifically to get fast enough. It is always a matter of strength.

One very specific feat, which is accounted for in how the rating's listed. What you're suggesting basically means that Sonic doesn't get much faster, if at all, when he goes Super
For baseline Super Sonic, I honestly think that should be true. In Frontiers, Super Sonic is not at his baseline power at all though (made obvious by Starfall Super Sonic being somewhat comparable to regular Super Sonic), so I agree that Sonic's base speed shouldn't scale to his Super form's showings within that game (despite the consistant speed scaling to the Titans being displayed all throughout the game)

Starfall is like a completely separate form that has nothing to do with the other 3 Titans base Sonic actually keeps up with.
And yet, despite being canonically superior to the best Super Sonic can offer, both forms could at least SOMEWHAT contend with The End. Super Sonic was at his max power and speed in Frontiers. Base Sonic can't scale to his own peak Super form of the same game. Neither in speed or power. Unless you want to claim Super forms don't amp speed at all, which is false

I look at the showings in Frontiers and they kind of contradict the idea that Super Sonic is immeasurably faster than base idk what to say.
If it only happened once then sure, but it’s for every Titan, and is even required for the game to progress.

I look at the showings in Frontiers and they kind of contradict the idea that Super Sonic is immeasurably faster than base idk what to say.
If it only happened once then sure, but it’s for every Titan, and is even required for the game to progress.
I know man. I get what you're saying. It is very consistant throughout the story. It just contradicts the lore of the Chaos Emeralds established in every other game and results in impossible circular scaling as a result. Baseline Super Sonic may not be much faster than his base, but peak Super Sonic has to be. In Frontiers, Super Sonic is at his peak.

I just wish sonic has a little more consistency with it's powerscaling system, I do believe Ian does want to be lower significantly because it would be easier to manage, not mainly out of his own opinion as to what level sonic would be. (since multiple games contradict his views on it, even some of the more modern ones.)

I know man. I get what you're saying. It is very consistant throughout the story. It just contradicts the lore of the Chaos Emeralds established in every other game and results in impossible circular scaling as a result. Baseline Super Sonic may not be much faster than his base, but peak Super Sonic has to be. In Frontiers, Super Sonic is at his peak.
Why does it “have” to be that way though? Legit, where is it stated the chaos emeralds are providing immeasurable speed boosts? Them being massive ridiculous strength amps is substantiated multiple times by the story, but speed is almost never emphasized when talking about their boosts.

I just wish sonic has a little more consistency with it's powerscaling system, I do believe Ian does want to be lower significantly because it would be easier to manage, not mainly out of his own opinion as to what level sonic would be. (since multiple games contradict his views on it, even some of the more modern ones.)
If I were to reboot the Sonic series and make my own power scaling for it, I would keep the base form characters consistantly below planet level and below light speed (with only the likes of Sonic and Shadow being able to push themselves beyond light speed occasionally). Super forms would vary between large planet level/FTL+ and multiversal+/Immeasurable. But then the transformations beyond that (like Hyper Sonic) would go DEEP into tier 1 stuff with Irrelevant speed, because **** it.

Why does it “have” to be that way though? Legit, where is it stated the chaos emeralds are providing immeasurable speed boosts? Them being massive ridiculous strength amps is substantiated multiple times by the story, but speed is almost never emphasized when talking about their boosts.
It may not be consistant, but we do know they boost speed to an extent, even at a baseline level

I know they boost speed, I just think for speed there’s more of an arg for downscaling or being relative since being higher into immeasurable is a thing

I know they boost speed, I just think for speed there’s more of an arg for downscaling or being relative since being higher into immeasurable is a thing
1 Emerald alone boosted Metal Sonic to be so fast that he broke his limits during the 2021 calendar story, completely outclassing Sonic, even when before he couldn't do it even when removing any an all resources in himself to focus completely on speed, even then, the boost from a single emerald was beyond what both him and Sonic could expect

1 Emerald alone boosted Metal Sonic to be so fast that he broke his limits during the 2021 calendar story, completely outclassing Sonic, even when before he couldn't do it even when removing any an all resources in himself to focus completely on speed, even then, the boost from a single emerald was beyond what both him and Sonic could expect
Gonna be honest, that story is kinda weird when Metal has channeled the power of multiple emeralds with no negative side effects before and characters could keep up with him during Mania Adventures.

Doesn't matter, 2 Emerald alone raises speed significantly
It’s an unquantifiable speed boost, it doesn’t debunk the idea of base Sonic downscaling (because he very clearly does in recent games)
How does that matter?
Because Sonic being unable to keep up with 2 Chaos Emerald users a year ago doesn’t mean it’s the same for all time, we have examples of Sonic increasing his stats by seemingly millions of times in 5 minutes.

It’s an unquantifiable speed boost, it doesn’t debunk the idea of base Sonic downscaling
it a boost higher than metal Sonic literally all he can to go faster, aka faster than the likes of his boost and spin dash, Sonic litterally lost Metal from sight for a moment when he used it, even when he was far ahead prior, there is no downscaling to be had here at all

(because he very clearly does in recent games)
he doesn't, Giganto blitzed him, and the other 2 are only 2 situations, 2 vs like, 10 where Base Chars where blitzed by a super form level oponent, you have a canonical story where blitzing, even if momentarily, happened with 1 emerald only, stop being stubborn

Because Sonic being unable to keep up with 2 Chaos Emerald users a year ago doesn’t mean it’s the same for all time
you do know that the boost stays the same as they get stronger and faster right?.......that is kind of the whole point

, we have examples of Sonic increasing his stats by seemingly millions of times in 5 minutes.
in which the boost he got from the emerald would still be as high as they were before as they were prior

it a boost higher than metal Sonic literally all he can to go faster, aka faster than the likes of his boost and spin dash, Sonic litterally lost Metal from sight for a moment when he used it, even when he was far ahead prior, there is no downscaling to be had here at all
Yeah, the argument is that super sonic is immeasurably faster, just being a couple times faster is not enough for me to say that downscaling isn’t applicable.
he doesn't, Giganto blitzed him, and the other 2 are only 2 situations, 2 vs like, 10 where Base Chars where blitzed by a super form level oponent, you have a canonical story where blitzing, even if momentarily, happened with 1 emerald only, stop being stubborn
Giganto doesn’t blitz him and you are definitely using the term “blitz” incorrectly. It is absolutely the outlier in the context of frontiers, and you are way exaggerating with “10” instances of base being blitzed. At most, it’s like 3, and even then it’s more like 2 and a half because they can barely keep up with Super Neo. And one of those instances was Giant Zavok, who is far slower and more lethargic than normal.
you do know that the boost stays the same as they get stronger and faster right?.......that is kind of the whole point

in which the boost he got from the emerald would still be as high as they were before as they were prior
They scale to the power granted by 7 Emeralds since Sonic Battle so I doubt they can just keep stacking these boosts infinitely by getting stronger in their base forms. Either they scale to the Emeralds or they don’t.

Yeah, the argument is that super sonic is immeasurably faster, just being a couple times faster is not enough for me to say that downscaling isn’t applicable.
prove your affirmation, the gap displayed in that race is not a downscalable on

Giganto doesn’t blitz him and you are definitely using the term “blitz” incorrectly.
do we have to have this talk again? Sonic has so much mobility in the air with several skills that if he could have dodged, he would have, giganto raises his hand to grab him and Sonic has no reaction to it at all, it is a blitz, no matter how hard you try to deny it

It is absolutely the outlier in the context of frontiers
good thing that Sonic as a franchise is far more than 1 singular game

, and you are way exaggerating with “10” instances of base being blitzed. At most, it’s like 3, and even then it’s more like 2 and a half because they can barely keep up with Super Neo.
they can't, as i said, he wasn't serious at all and blitzed both of them when he got tired of playing, with Sonic unable to follow him to stop Knuckles, with him being unable to be perceived and reacted at all even when he casually flew to them

And one of those instances was Giant Zavok, who is far slower and more lethargic than normal.
prove this, nothing ever suggests this at all

They scale to the power granted by 7 Emeralds since Sonic Battle so I doubt they can just keep stacking these boosts infinitely by getting stronger in their base forms.
except that they clearly do seem his performance against The End in comparison to Metal Overlord, or the clear cut showings that "Base Form stronger = Super Form stronger by the same amount"

Either they scale to the Emeralds or they don’t.
not the rules

prove your affirmation, the gap displayed in that race is not a downscalable on
The race was coming down to just a distance of a few hundred meters, and all that’s said is that Metal overtook Sonic at an “unbelievable speed”. There is nothing saying Sonic got blitzed or that he lost sight of Metal, aside from “Sonic doesn’t understand what is happening”, which can mean multiple things.
do we have to have this talk again? Sonic has so much mobility in the air with several skills that if he could have dodged, he would have, giganto raises his hand to grab him and Sonic has no reaction to it at all, it is a blitz, no matter how hard you try to deny it
Yeah cool, Giganto grabs Sonic once. Guess what, people can get hit by other people if they’re comparable speed. I guess if a boxer gets hit one time by another boxer they get blitzed!
good thing that Sonic as a franchise is far more than 1 singular game
And this just happens to be one of the most recent installments, in a franchise where the main character is constantly improving.
they can't, as i said, he wasn't serious at all and blitzed both of them when he got tired of playing, with Sonic unable to follow him to stop Knuckles, with him being unable to be perceived and reacted at all even when he casually flew to them
They literally have multiple spin dash clashes and Sonic visibly dodged Super Metal “in” the panel.
prove this, nothing ever suggests this at all
During the Zavok fight in LW he can barely keep up with Sonic when the former goes giant and his movements in general are much slower to climb up the shaft compared to his CQC with Sonic in small form. His fireballs are also portrayed as moving very slow in giant form.
except that they clearly do seem his performance against The End in comparison to Metal Overlord, or the clear cut showings that "Base Form stronger = Super Form stronger by the same amount"
The Emeralds are only treated as strength multipliers on the wiki rn anyway so idk what this has to do with speed (which is what I was arguing about?)
not the rules
The Emeralds scaling above power cores as a multiplier themselves is smthn that isn’t even said by the series and is just because they are Emeralds and are powerful.

I feel they have solid points, and someone should be allowed to express how they feel on scaling, regardless.
Even if I don't agree with what is expressed entirely, myself, I do appreciate you sharing this, JJ. Thank you.

The race was coming down to just a distance of a few hundred meters, and all that’s said is that Metal overtook Sonic at an “unbelievable speed”. There is nothing saying Sonic got blitzed or that he lost sight of Metal, aside from “Sonic doesn’t understand what is happening”, which can mean multiple things.
he literally lost sight of him for a moment, being above his Boost and Spin Dash is factual tho, which are blitz amps

Yeah cool, Giganto grabs Sonic once. Guess what, people can get hit by other people if they’re comparable speed. I guess if a boxer gets hit one time by another boxer they get blitzed!
if said boxer is unable to react to the other boxer at all even with 4x greater reaction speed, then yeah, he would have been blitzed

And this just happens to be one of the most recent installments, in a franchise where the main character is constantly improving.
you not believing the argument shouldn't mean for you to ignore it "The boost given stays the same as they grow" ignore this because you simply doesn't believe it and we can't have a conversation here

They literally have multiple spin dash clashes
what part of "Neo Metal was joking with them" did you not get? i already covered this, in that same panel he casually blitzs knuckles and Sonic is unable to react to it at all, all while he mocks them both at how easy it is, he can't keep up with Neo there, Neo is simply playing with them

and Sonic visibly dodged Super Metal “in” the panel.
show this?

During the Zavok fight in LW he can barely keep up with Sonic when the former goes giant and his movements in general are much slower to climb up the shaft compared to his CQC with Sonic in small form. His fireballs are also portrayed as moving very slow in giant form.
so all you have is gameplay mechanics? IDW Shows otherwise anyway

The Emeralds are only treated as strength multipliers on the wiki rn anyway so idk what this has to do with speed (which is what I was arguing about?)
they aren't, Hypermode(Emerald buff) literally amplifies speed, that was the entire point of the recent 5-A downgrade

The Emeralds scaling above power cores as a multiplier themselves is smthn that isn’t even said by the series and is just because they are Emeralds and are powerful.
it is directly said and compared with Fake Emeralds, which are said to be the same as normal emeralds but much inferior

Using Super Neo Metal as any form of an attempt at downscaling is just funny with how badly he blitzes Sonic and Knuckles. Like, you literally have to ignore a good chunk of the fight just to push for that

Using Super Neo Metal as any form of an attempt at downscaling is just funny with how badly he blitzes Sonic and Knuckles. Like, you literally have to ignore a good chunk of the fight just to push for that
He’s faster but Sonic still dodges or matches his spindash at a couple points.
he literally lost sight of him for a moment, being above his Boost and Spin Dash is factual tho, which are blitz amps
They straight up never say he lost sight of Metal, you’re just twisting the words.
if said boxer is unable to react to the other boxer at all even with 4x greater reaction speed, then yeah, he would have been blitzed
Explain how Giganto doesn’t blitz Sonic when Sonic is running up his back to get to the Chaos Emerald, then.
you not believing the argument shouldn't mean for you to ignore it "The boost given stays the same as they grow" ignore this because you simply doesn't believe it and we can't have a conversation here
The boost to strength stays the same, nothing confirmed about the speed boost.
what part of "Neo Metal was joking with them" did you not get? i already covered this, in that same panel he casually blitzs knuckles and Sonic is unable to react to it at all, all while he mocks them both at how easy it is, he can't keep up with Neo there, Neo is simply playing with them
They were caught off guard, in other panels they’re shown being able to react to some degree.
show this?
The panel right before the one where Knuckles is running up the altar steps.
so all you have is gameplay mechanics? IDW Shows otherwise anyway
It’s just logic that becoming bigger makes you a more lethargic being, due to needing to move more mass around to attack.
they aren't, Hypermode(Emerald buff) literally amplifies speed, that was the entire point of the recent 5-A downgrade
And the speed amp is unquantifiable and not even that massive considering you can keep up with Hypermode characters regardless, just not as easily.
it is directly said and compared with Fake Emeralds, which are said to be the same as normal emeralds but much inferior
Yeah okay, that was my bad.

Still, I’m focusing on speed and not strength, so I’m not really that interested in discussing.

I choose to consider this is a pre-Frontiers story and thus doesn’t contradict the idea that Sonic got fast enough to keep up with immeasurable characters because that’s what the game is showing me on multiple occasions.

That's not even relevant. Just within this fight alone, I don't see how you can arrive at the conclusion that Sonic should downscale from someone that blitzed him.

He’s faster but Sonic still dodges or matches his spindash at a couple points.
are you going to show this or...?
Also you ignored how casual Super Metal was, there nothing to say that Sonic downscales when he clearly wasn't even trying against Sonic to begin with, he was humoring, at best

They straight up never say he lost sight of Metal, you’re just twisting the words.
that happens, i won't engage in a back forth of "it did, no it didn't, it did....." any longer

Explain how Giganto doesn’t blitz Sonic when Sonic is running up his back to get to the Chaos Emerald, then.
How can he blitz someone he is not trying to catch? he isn't after nor paying attention to Sonic at all, he IGNORES Sonic if he doesn't do anything to climb him even

This isn't a situation where Giganto can't blitz Sonic, but one where he doesn't even try to catch him in the first place

The boost to strength stays the same, nothing confirmed about the speed boost.
Universal Energy System, unless you have anything that would imply that the boost given by the same energy works differently for some arbitrary reason, this is nothing you coming up with stuff to fit your narrative

They were caught off guard
Sonic was literally clashing against him in the same page, wdym "he was caught off guard"?

in other panels they’re shown being able to react to some degree.
saying and not showing doesn't help you, i checked, there isn't any place where they legitimate reacted to him, not one where he wasn't very clearly joking around with them and not trying at all

The panel right before the one where Knuckles is running up the altar steps.
idk why you keep ignoring the "HE WASN'T SERIOUS AND WAS PURELY JOKING ARROUND" point........

regardless, in that same page he blitzes both Sonic and Knuckles at the same time effortlessly, mocking them about how easy it was.............all you have 1 out of context panel, that's all you have

It’s just logic that becoming bigger makes you a more lethargic being, due to needing to move more mass around to attack.
you ignored the IDW showing that it doesn't happen that to Zavok point weird how you need to straight up ignore parts of the argument to counter argument regardless........do you have any evidence of this? specially when what matters, his reaction speed, has no reason to go down?

And the speed amp is unquantifiable and not even that massive considering you can keep up with Hypermode characters regardless, just not as easily.
in gameplay? yes, in lore? no idea, not provable by fighters alone, going from the canonical depiction of an Emerald amping someone tho? yeah it isn't reactable

Back