• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Slight Retcon Powers downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get into the meat of the downgrade, I want to briefly explain how these powers work: It allows the user to essentially go anywhere throughout the narrative, being able to create retcons (hence its name). I do agree with the RP being 1-A, just not how it is phrased and worded.

"By "retconning" too many events and creating inconsistencies, the user can create a "narrative paradox" so great that it would destroy everything, turning into utter ruin, to the point of worrying Ultimate Dirk and The Director."

This is true. However, this is done via creating a Narrative Paradox/The Blackout, which is caused basically by a chain reaction of using the powers too much

"It's also considered as one of the greatest power in existence."

This doesn't automatically equate to AP, this could easily relate to how useful and versatile the powers are.

My suggestion would to be changing it to "Unknown with the Retcon Powers, 1-A with the Blackout" for Tiering, and "Unknown (Isn't used offensively), Outerversal with the Blackout (After using the powers too much and retconning the narrative too much, the user can create a "narrative paradox" so great that it would destroy everything, turning into utter ruin, to the point of worrying Ultimate Dirk and The Director.)

So yeah, this affects John Egbert and MSPA Reader, nothing major, just rewording.

The "Retcon Powers/Blackout" part is just to show that the Blackout is a byproduct of them.

I don't mind merely removing Retcon stuff, tho the "greatest power" part here is for this Vriska explanation:

VRISKA): The power to shape reality. Even without intending to.

(VRISKA): Like, just falling 8ackwards into the most insanely overpowered 8ullshit, when the rest of us have to work our asses off for a fraction of that kind of power and relevance.

(VRISKA): He could rewrite everything that ever happened if he wanted.

(VRISKA): And he could pro8a8ly even 8end reality to his will in certain ways even if he didn’t have the slightest idea what he was doing, which he usually doesn’t.

Basically Retcon Powers can be used as 1-A, but John doesn't know how to do it, and MSPAR mainly does it without always knowing (like when he changed fate in sollux's route).

I think just "1-A with Blackout" is better. As said, the Retcon Powers aren't the most direct reality warping, being more like the butterfly effect on crack.

They shouldn't be listed as AP. The Blackout should tho.

Thank you for the evaluations. I suppose that you will all have to try to work out an agreement here then.

The only dispute here is Yuri saying the Retcon powers could be used as a 1-A thing without the blackout, but John doesn't know how to use it and the MSPAR uses it subconsciously

To address Yuri's points with Vriska's Quote

(VRISKA): The power to shape reality. Even without intending to.

(VRISKA): Like, just falling 8ackwards into the most insanely overpowered 8ullshit, when the rest of us have to work our asses off for a fraction of that kind of power and relevance.

(VRISKA): He could rewrite everything that ever happened if he wanted.

(VRISKA): And he could pro8a8ly even 8end reality to his will in certain ways even if he didn’t have the slightest idea what he was doing, which he usually doesn’t.

Judging on how the powers work, "Shaping reality even without intending to" is him traveling to different points in time and retconning different events, alternating the future as a result. "Bending reality to his will" and "He could rewrite everything that ever happened if he wanted" is likely him rewriting the story in his image via retconning this and that. Like CSF said, a "butterfly effect" changes the future this way, not the retcon powers itself directly (Which is why I am fine with "1-A with Chain Reaction/The Blackout"

I definitely think it refers to stuff like MSPAR passively rewriting fate without meaning it, but otherwise yeah we should just let Blackout.

So have you reached an agreement then?

Agreement reached I think.

It's just removing "Retcon Powers" from justification after all. If nothing's added, I'm fine with it.

Okay. If somebody writes a list of the EXACT page titles for all of the pages that you need unlocked, I can do so.

Thank you. Tell me here when you are done.

Thanks. Should I close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back