• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we feature a poll in our front page?

Polls can be a way to show how popular/active a site is, an alternative for a quick inquiry to the effort of drudging through stats.

I changed the front page layout a bit with the other template.

Is this better, or should I change it back again?

Screenshot 20190109-141257 Firefox
Screenshot 20190109-141223 Firefox
Screenshot 20190109-141157 Firefox

I actually really like that new front page layout. I'd be fine with keeping this new template for the home page.

Okay. I am just concerned that "less is more", i.e. that it looks too garish and detracts from the actual content.

Nah. If anything, it makes the site look a bit more professional by coordinating the different elements of the front page with a single solid look.

Would we be changing the questions every 1st of the new month?

I don't think that we need to set specific dates, but every 1-2 months seems like a decent replacement rate.

By the way, Anime/Manga and Video Games have been consistently rated almost the same, so either there is some sort of competition going on, or some people are having a bit of fun with the survey.

Feel bad for the other options lol

I have inserted it into the front page on a trial basis, but will remove it if the community disagrees.

It probably looks good with adblock installed. Without adblock, the statistics section on the right side is pushed down and starts when the whole content of the left side is already finished. This is just for the visitors tab.

The members tab looks much better imo.

Just one thing, all the characters of "STATISTICS" heading are in upper case while all other headings only have the first letter of the word in upper case, like "Poll".

Well. I don't mind that the section is longer, but we could get rid of either the statistics or the poll if other staff prefer that we do so.

I will change the "statistics" text.

I'm wondering if separating manga from Anime or separating Visual Novels from other video game genres would make a difference and effect the poll. It probably won't considering VN's are sub category of video games and people do have a tendency to say Anime when they meant manga.

I have now updated the front page colours (except for the category icons) to match the logo colour.

Do you think that this is a better theme for the wiki, or should I change it back?

Personally speaking, it seems a bit moody for my taste.

I changed it back to the happier theme instead.

Here is what the change looked like for reference.

Screenshot 20190110-215105 Firefox
Screenshot 20190110-215116 Firefox

It seems quite likely that the trolls are currently using lots of accounts to skew the poll results to turn ridiculous.

Should we try again with another poll, or possibly remove it altogether?

I like the current theme better.

Are you sure the trolls are doing it? They could be regular visitors.

The two top results have consistently been neck and neck almost tied for several days in a row. That definitely does not seem natural.

I wouldn't be so sure. I expected this much votes for anime/manga tbh and I think video games are also popular here.

Even if you're correct, it's not like they are harming anything and changing the question won't stop them either.

I am most likely correct, as the alternative that the constant near equal results are a coincidence is very unlikely.

It also turns the polls meaningless, but we could give it a try with one or two more, and see what happens, before removing the feature.

Should we try "Which genre do you like the most?" next?

Yes, Anime/Manga and Video Games continue to have the exact same result. I am definitely correct.

I think that we should try another poll, and if that doesn't work out, remove the feature altogether.

How about this?

"Which genre do you like most?

Adventure

Comedy

Drama

Fantasy

Mystery

Science fiction"

I didn't include satire, horror, thriller, or romance, since those would act as troll bait.

Okay, let's wait and see then. I voted.

Still think you were correct? OvO

Probably, yes.

Also, almost all votes go to "fantasy" now. I don't know if that is suspicious or not.

Eh...I don't think so. I never expected there to be equal competition between all the options in every poll.

Anyway, can you also see in the Statistics section that it's written "-1 active editors"?

Yes, the statistics counter works sometimes and other times not. Fandom is a bit buggy at times.

Anyway, feel free to prepare upcoming poll questions and options.

One thing I want to point out is that even if trolls do skew the results, the results aren't what matter. Isn't part of the point of the polls to make new guests have something to do? well even if they results are wrong, I think the poll should still stay up for the benefit of new users.

Back