• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we feature a poll in our front page?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As you probably know, the right column of our front page looks rather empty, especially for the people who have an ad-blocker installed.

As such, I wonder if we should add a poll to the right column (above the partner wikis), like the Marvel wiki does?

Here is what it looks like with and without ads:

Screenshot 20190105-162927 Chrome
Screenshot 20190105-163830 Firefox

I have also investigated how to create and link a poll to the page, and it does not seem complicated:

https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Template:MainPage/Poll

https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Database?action=edit

We would regularly have to come up with new uncontroversial questions and answers though. For example, "Do you think our wiki is reliable?" would just attract a lot of trolling and negativity, whereas "What type of entertainment do you like most?" should hopefully be harmless enough.

It might be a good idea to see the opinion of those who are two shy to comment and express their opinion on a thread

Could be a thing. I'm not sure how we'd use it but it is certainly a unique opportunity considering how many daily users we get. I'd say go for it if you could think of polls to actually populate it with.

Poll for what tho? Other series focus on a specific fiction and feature a poll for things happening in that fiction. I'm not sure if we would need something like this.

I think I'd be an interesting idea. I don't know exactly what the poll would be about aside from the obvious, like favorite character and the such, but it is definitely an intriguing concept.

Why not? It could be things like "Who do you think is going to win the Death Battle that's coming out soon" or "Who would win between X and Y character"

Well, I think that if would be more interesting to see if people here are more interested in our anime/manga, comicbooks, movies, cartoons, games, tv series, etcetera profiles, and similar questions.

In any case, we do need to fill out that empty space with something fun or interesting for our casual visitors.

Yeah, I think it could work if we stick to things like "have you made a page?" And "what category of fiction do you like?"

On this site? I'm willing to bet Anime/Manga comes first, followed by Video Games, followed by Comic Books.

But yeah it could be neat since we have the chance to do so. I say shoot.

I still don't think a poll would fit this site as well as a wiki that focuses on a single franchise and use the poll to get opinions about a big event related to the franchise.

But not like I am going to be bitter about this being added or anything. Just seems unnecessary.

Andytrenom said:
Other series focus on a specific fiction and feature a poll for things happening in that fiction. I'm not sure if we would need something like this.
Well we focus on almost all types of fiction so we'll probably have more diversity in our questions making them all the more interesting. We can in fact make polls related to any trending franchise.

I agree with this. A poll could work well on our front page. We can probably ask questions like:

• Which genre do you like the most?
  • Which franchise do you like?
  • Which comic/anime/manga do you like?
  • Which character do you like?
  • Which ability do you like the most?
  • How much did you enjoy <insert recent trending movie>?
  • How much did you enjoy <insert recently finished anime>?
  • Who do you think is stronger between <insert uncontroversial characters, maybe of same verse>?
  • Who do you think is faster between <insert uncontroversial characters, maybe of same verse>?
  • Who do you think will win between <insert uncontroversial characters, maybe of same verse>?
I also think polls will promote our page views even more since people might visit a page just to check something regarding the poll.

I think a poll is a good ideas as well. It could attract new visitors as well allowing them to express their opinion. Also a good opportunity to se what you can have in common with others.

@DontTalkDT

Well, Fandom gave me access to their Quantcast statistics, so I already have data for how old our visitors are.

I think that we should switch the poll when we come up with good new questions, once every two months or so perhaps?

Insider info, huh?

All seriousness, I have no problem with this. Quick, easy, and offers something for the more casual visitor

Poll seems like a good idea; and favorite Medium does seem like a good idea for the question yes.

Yeah, I'm up for a poll on the main page. It should be a fun way to attract new members.

I also think it's a good idea to put polls. Maybe one per month is a bit better than two, but that's just my opinion.

The medium question should probably be the first one, maybe with other questions like "which member of the HST do you like more?" depending on the answers we get.

I foresee a lot of anime questions and thus

I dip out

good day all

We can also ask questions like "Do you prefer DC or Marvel?" or "Which console do you like more (PC included)?". Like, the first one if Anime/manga wins the popularity poll, the second if comics do and the third for videogames.

Yeah, Anime/Manga seems to be the most popular thing here, followed by Visual Novels which counts as video games. Which type of Entertainment do you like most seems like a good poll to start.

It is not added to the mobile layout for the front page.

Anime and manga should be separate options since they are separate modes of entertainment and people who like one don't always like the other methinks.

@AKM

Maybe, but anime usually tends to adapt manga, so I thought that it would be better to keep them together.

In any case, the poll has already received quite a lot of replies, so it is probably inappropriate to change now.

It does keep in with the blue scheme which is a plus. However, at the moment, most everything on the front page has a general alignment to the right. Adding in headings that have a central alignment would clash against the other portions of the front page.

For some it would be ok, such as the Media heading, to have a central alignment, as that catagory is very central. However, every other section is right-aligned, and I don't think adding centralised titles would look very good.

I do think it is worth a test run, just to see if I'm a dirty liar though. What's the harm?

The front page currently looks fine to me. I can't compare it with how the other template would look without seeing it in full action though.

Well, I also think that the front page looks fine as it is now. Never mind about the new template.

Back