• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should Saitama even be used in match ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in conclusion, using OP's logic we should just stop versus debating entirely. Because every character has a purpose and meaning, and using them in versus debates apparently invalidates that. Shut down the wiki, shut down all the debates. Maybe we will all get better hobbies afterwards.
Tbf I could probably do better things with my time than calculate the speed of a car that ran over John Cena lmao

I will say debating with people off site when it comes to OPM is tiring, my (off-site) friends think Saitama can just kill anything in one punch as some sort of hax ability which makes explaining how yes, in fact, Goku beats him, extremely tiresome

I will say debating with people off site when it comes to OPM is tiring, my (off-site) friends think Saitama can just kill anything in one punch as some sort of hax ability which makes explaining how yes, in fact, Goku beats him, extremely tiresome
Unless he explicitly has that sort of ability then that is an unproven assumption and your off-site friends fail in logic in the strict sense. I guess you could humor them if they want to argue using this interpretation of Saitama but they would need to properly define this supposed ability and just what it is capable of since it is otherwise not much better than just making stuff up because you felt like it.

Isn't arguing about Saitama being a gag character and having no limits an instant ban/thread deletion or something?
Yeah.

Do NOT post any threads or comments about Saitama being limitless, omnipotent, or that "he is a gag character who is never meant to lose". This is an illogical line of reasoning that does not fit in with our system, employs a very liberal use of no-limits fallacies, and defeats the base purpose of indexing character statistics. Please note that due to the highly repetitive nature of this particular discussion, failure to follow this rule may result in a block without any particular warning. - Discussion Rules

Looks like people still buy the Saitama NLF despite it being complete nonsense. Rip

Looks like people still buy the Saitama NLF despite it being complete nonsense. Rip
Not all people use logic or have any particular aptitude for it. This is assuming that they would even want to approach the matter logically if the idea crossed their minds.

Saitama being able to one-shot is probably more conducive for memes.

Anyway, as I'm sure people have already said we don't apply plot devices or a character's "narrative" in versus debates, we index and compare the feats and abilities they've showcased in their series. So, things like Superman always winning because he's the hero, Sonic the Hedgehog being "The Fastest Thing Alive", and Saitama "always winning with one punch" aren't valid arguments in hypothetical crossover battles.

Also Saitama being able to beat any opponent with one punch regardless of effort was literally disproven in the recent chapters

Saitama as a character is more than a joke, so I feel like as if reducing him to just that would be unfair to him. He is part of a story where people can have serious problems and develop and Saitama gets his own moments that aren't played for laughs.
This 👆
Honestly I adore Saitama as a character, and just characterizing him as purely a satire of shonen and superheroes is shallow asl. Like honestly his characterization (especially once the likes of Genos and King enter the picture to get him out of his shell) is incredible and does so much to make him feel real and fleshed-out.

Unless 167-168 gets retconned, Saitama claps Z Goku hard now hehe. DBS Goku smacks the shit out of him still tho

Hypothetical fights that pits characters from different universes (even those from the same universe) can be a tricky thing. People who love to discuss things like that often have to rely on assumptions, pseudo-scientific "calculations", or imprecise scaling. But every once in awhile, it can be easy.
Like the case of using Saitama in a hypothetical match-up. Easy, because he should win all of the time.

Is that presumptious? or "wanking" as users of these kind of forums like to say? Maybe. Personally I don't think so. The simple reason being that Saitama is not an ordinary character. Whether you want to consider him a parody, satire, or subversion meant to poke fun at standard cliches and tropes associated with action mangas and anime, what he is, is the embodiment of a concept. The concept of being "indomitable". That's how he was conceived by the author. The humor, tragedy, and drama relating to this character is that the only struggle he face is internal.

With Saitama, the question is never "how can Saitama beat this character?" instead it's "How much trouble can this character give Saitama before they get owned in a spectacular, ridiculous, or comical fashion?"

Maybe some of you will think this falls in the realm of "no limits fallacy", but perhaps you should also consider whether in your reluctance to accept that a fictional character indeed has no limits, you arbitrarily impose those limits yourself upon that character, just because. Assuming that a character "has to have limits" may be a fallacy in itself, especially considering what he is meant to be.

Being indomitable is Saitama's most prominent feature. That is what separates him conceptually from any other garden variety OP characters. Until such time as the author decide that he can be threatened with a loss (beyond those intended for comedy) or mortal danger, he will continue to remain that way.

You can put him in a hypothetical scenario where you impose arbitrary limits upon him. But by taking away the one characteristic that is truly inextricable from him, it won't really be "Saitama".

So that is essentially the reason why I ask. Because I personally don't see why.

On the other hand, since these match-ups basically amount to fan-fiction anyway, those who want to see him in a hypothetical match-up should be free to fan-fic away. But perhaps he belongs more in the jokes section.
All Saitama fights in the future he is either gonna get one shotted, haxxed to death or he is gonna one shot or win even fights instantly through his broken accelerated development. It won't really be fun to discuss it tbh.

Last edited:
In the fight against Garou

besides the fact that explicitly Garou became stronger than "the Saitama of seconds ago" during the fight
Show a quote or a panel where he got hurt. And also where that incident that you're referring to happened. I feel like him getting hurt would've been a huge deal, yet this is the first time I have seen someone seriously mentioning it.

Nice headcanon, Saitama didn't even get scratched
Funny that you say that when Saitama himself stated he indeed got scratched.

I don't care if it's true though, the graph already shows that Garou surpassed Saitama's power at the start of the fight.

Funny that you say that when Saitama himself stated he indeed got scratched.

I don't care if it's true though, the graph already shows that Garou surpassed Saitama's power at the start of the fight.
Where? The graph in 168? Iirc, Saitama was always above him?

Blood that's nowhere to be seen in the next chapter. Sure. I'm sure that was a visual effect.
My brother in Christ he got punched in the mouth and his mouth is barely ever drawn in detail much less drawn at all in the first third of the chapter.

Also the first illustration of the graph shows Saitama as objectively superior but not oppressively like in the second and third ones, so Garou had time to deal damage, especially since the punch he drew blood with was made right after he'd copied Saitama's power level mid-attack

And we have showings of him jumping from injured to unaffected after receiving RPL boosts like in his fight with Light Pull Cord

My brother in Christ he got punched in the mouth and his mouth is barely ever drawn in detail much less drawn at all in the first third of the chapter.

Also the first illustration of the graph shows Saitama as objectively superior but not oppressively like in the second and third ones, so Garou had time to deal damage, especially since the punch he drew blood with was made right after he'd copied Saitama's power level mid-attack
I'm Muslim. Anyways, you're proving the point. Because if such a thing did take place, then surely it would've been given enough importance to be shown and expounded upon. Instead, it was pretty much forgotten about. Furthermore, "Garou had time to deal damage," that's conjecture, and nothing conclusively supports that claim.

Can you elaborate?
Garou in Io Moon>>>>>>>>Saitama at the start of the fight.

@Antvasima Could you please close this embarrassment of a thread? Not only is the topic itself banned by our rules and sufficient reason to ban the OP, but the latest chapter confirms that Saitama is not infallible and all-mighty powerful (imagine an escenario where Peak Cosmic Garou traveled back in time and used that power against a weaker Saitama).

I'm Muslim. Anyways, you're proving the point. Because if such a thing did take place, then surely it would've been given enough importance to be shown and expounded upon. Instead, it was pretty much forgotten about. Furthermore, "Garou had time to deal damage," that's conjecture, and nothing conclusively supports that claim.
Mate, it wasn't made a "big deal" because Saitama didn't care about his desired fight anymore even though he is getting what he always wanted: being able to go all out against an opponent and improving because of it. That's literally what happened, we aren't shown explicit panels of Saitama spitting blood but Garou does indeed makes Saitama exert himself enough his RPL kicks in.

We even have a ******* graph that shows us that Garou was able to surpass Saitama at the start of the fight.

Again because people apparently still don't get it: Saitama doesn't have infinite power he has infinite growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back