• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
"Shadow opens a rift in time and space, meant to banish a foe. If the target remains, he may become distracted." - Its description in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Which somehow means "Can BFR people outside of space-time" & "Shadow flings the rift at his target in an attempt to banish the opponent to outside time and space"

Why the heck "rift" means "outside of"? This is too vague, I can banish someone through a rift in a hotel without sending him outside of the hotel, just to other part of it.

The Chaos Rift likely works as your average portal.

In that same article you linked.

"Once formed, Shadow flungs the rift at his target in an attempt to banish the opponent to outside time and space."

A rift in time and space would implicitly mean that that the area is devoid of them anyways. It'd be pretty weird for time and space to be around in a tear in time and space.

A rift in any place doesn't necessarily have to lead outside of it. A rift in my house connects a room with another isn't devoid of the house itself.

A doorframe is not a rift in your house though, as it is still part of the house.

You can open a rift in time and space to banish someone to another place with time and space.

If it specifically says it banishs them outside of time and space then it's fine but if it just opens a rift in time and space, then it shouldn't be assumed that it's to a place outside of time and space.

Just my thoughts on this.

I have an actual rift tho. And I use it as part of the house.

The burden of proof would be on you to show that's the case. "Creating a rift in time and space to banish someone" implies that the person is being sent outside space-time, not to just another location.

Burden of proof is never on the negative statement. And I agree that rift alone isn't enough to imply that.

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
The burden of proof would be on you to show that's the case. "Creating a rift in time and space to banish someone" implies that the person is being sent outside space-time, not to just another location.
No it doesn't.

Countless characters open rifts in time and space and it leads to either different timelines or worlds.

No it doesn't.

Countless characters open rifts in time and space and it leads to either different timelines or worlds.

Different timelines have separate space-time continuums so it would traverse the distance between them where there is no space-time.

@ShadowWarrior

Sorry, still don't see why "Opening a rift in time and space to banish someone" instantly means outside of time and space.

Rifts in time and space can lead anywhere, past or future, another world ect. If it doesn't specifically state "outside of time and space", I disagree with it.

That's all I'm going to say on this, got some things to do.

@Lordgriffin1000 on the sonic wiki it specifically states that it opens a rift and sends the open outside time and space.

@Eficiente and also a lot of the information we use for the sonic verse is from the sonic wiki especially when it comes to describing what abilities a character has and how it works. So the wiki is reliable.

@Blueblur24

Then I don't have a problem with it, so long as it's legit.

I've just read the "description" of the Chaos Rift from the wiki but is there anything else besides the wiki saying it does that?. Anything from the game itself?.

No shade to the wiki, I just want to know does it state that anywhere in game.

Its probably just copied from the game, though idk if I can find the actual game's transcript or something considering what it was.

Blueblur we don't use wikis like that to source stuff, or at least we shouldn't be.

Mind sourcing this claim?

I went into the Sonic News Network Chaos Rift page editing history and the part about Chaos Rift banishing foes outside space-time was added by Ultrasonic9000 who's a bureaucrat and editing supervisor.

Blueblur24 said:
a lot of the information we use for the sonic verse is from the sonic wiki especially when it comes to describing what abilities a character has and how it works. So the wiki is reliable.
I'm not going to allow this levels of wank on my wiki. I inform everyone that we not only "shouldn't" allow this, we are against it. I will personally verify if the descriptions of all the attacks in the verse are accurate some day.
So let's finish this quickly, if that's not too much to ask.

I'm pretty sure that that's a verbatim quote from the game in this case, but yeah we shouldn't use the sonic wiki for justifications over the source material.

I'm not going to allow this levels of wank on my wiki. I inform everyone that we not only "shouldn't" allow this, we are against it. I will personally verify if the descriptions of all the attacks in the verse are accurate some day.
So let's finish this quickly, if that's not too much to ask.

"I'm not going to allow this levels of wank on my wiki."

You really should calm down there. You're blowing things out of proportion, and you don't own the wiki.

It's just stated to be a rift in space-time meant to banish opponents. It doesn't say that it banishes targets to an alternate universe or time period.

I agree with Shadow on this one.

Anybody can banish anyone anywhere, and the rift part was already explained. You're wrong, it can lead to other time periods because it's a rift in time, and saying that it leads to an alternate universe is only slightly more crazy than saying it leads outside of time and space.

Fixed it.

By definition a space-time rift is devoid of space-time, as it is an opening in the space-time continuum. Chaos Rift is described to banish opponents, not send them to other time periods or universes.

With that being said, this can be closed.

The description says rift. As pointed out above, a rift in something doesn't have to lrad outside of it.

Back