• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

servant invulnerability being bypassed by being old?

I keep hearing about and decided to make this crt because i wanted to debunk it so here goes my first crt.
The way mystery works is that by ageing something gains mystery and people say that this can fall into verse equalization in that by also being old something can bypass the immunity.
Verse equalization: Similar supernatural aspects of verses get equalized in a reasonable fashion. So a supernatural energy that almost everyone in a Verse has, which is necessary to fight the characters of said Verse, will be assumed to be the equivalent energy that the opponents use in their techniques so that a proper fight can happen
I do not agree with this because mystery is a supernatural force and the way mystery works is that it builds up over time, however way people treat it is as if they were thrown into the nasuverse and have been there for x amount of time even though they should start with zero mystery.
What this means is that your basically giving the opponent prep time with something they don't even have.

Last edited:
Don't have a particular opinion about this, there exist arguments of why it would fall under verse equalization and reasons of why it wouldn't and since I think that both are valid opinions is that I remain neutral, that said the OP is maybe to simplificated so maybe it would be best if you expand the reason of why don't fall under verse equalization, you should also find input from others supporters about it, @Zencha9 for example is someone I remember against the idea of equalize it.

This is technically correct, you can say that people shouldn't be gaining Mystery via verse equal, since it's technically giving a trait from another verse, and not equating magic to magic. It's analyzing someone from another verse and then just saying they get a Nasu verse mechanic, which would be along the lines of giving people with high kill counts sword logic benefits or something.

It's a matter of convenience for the most part, if age didn't grant it with verse equalization, there's even less available matches. If we went all the way and actually judged by how much mystery something would have compared to a servant (not all magical stuff would have enough mystery to overpower one for instance, nor would simply having the bare minimum age to show signs of mystery), it would cut matches even further. The standards for granting mystery are just lax because no one really wants to get that deep into Nasu mechanics to decide whether a match can even happen or not.

If we went all the way and actually judged by how much mystery something would have compared to a servant (not all magical stuff would have enough mystery to overpower one for instance, nor would simply having the bare minimum age to show signs of mystery)
You mean there's a scaling chain for there invulnerability?

It's a matter of convenience for the most part, if age didn't grant it with verse equalization, there's even less available matches. If we went all the way and actually judged by how much mystery something would have compared to a servant (not all magical stuff would have enough mystery to overpower one for instance, nor would simply having the bare minimum age to show signs of mystery), it would cut matches even further.
Can't you just disable it for vs matches like with Reiatsu crush?

Like the only big fate supporter were missing at this point is Lapitus. This is resoundingly rejected.

This is technically correct, you can say that people shouldn't be gaining Mystery via verse equal, since it's technically giving a trait from another verse, and not equating magic to magic. It's analyzing someone from another verse and then just saying they get a Nasu verse mechanic, which would be along the lines of giving people with high kill counts sword logic benefits or something.
This one agreed with it and the others agreed with him.
Paul Frank pretty much sums up my thoughts, I agree with him
Yeah this also sums up my thoughts about the issue as well

And you missed the bottom part of that message that trashes agreement. This is technically correct, but the standards are lax because otherwise every Servant would have no matches that aren't stomps.

Also, you'd need experts on both verses for Every. Single. Match. People don't want to be called to practically every fight involving fate ever because they need to dissect whether mystery applies to the character or not. Normally I'd say "this is an indexing wiki" but personally fate having like 100 characters that kind of can't be used in fights isn't a fun thing to try and figure out.

And you missed the bottom part of that message that trashes agreement. This is technically correct, but the standards are lax because otherwise every Servant would have no matches that aren't stomps.
Then they can just disable it for versus matches like they do with bleach.

And? Do you think it's ok to do anos vs xeno goku but disable all of anos hax and make goku win then say it should be added?
Missing the point pal.

People want to make matches with fate Servants that can be added to the profiles. Not make unbalanced messes unless they ae actually spiting.

Think about it like this: the invulnerability is there as the best of both worlds. It's indexed because we know it's there, but the age thing is a workaround so servant actually, you know, have Matches to be added.

People want to make matches with fate Servants that can be added to the profiles. Not make unbalanced messes unless they ae actually spiting.

Think about it like this: the invulnerability is there as the best of both worlds. It's indexed because we know it's there, but the age thing is a workaround so servant actually, you know, have Matches to be added.
I have NEVER herd of a SINGLE other setting where people did this. Also Wouldn't that still be unbalanced because your giving servants a weakness that isn't real?

I have NEVER herd of a SINGLE other setting where people did this. Also Wouldn't that still be unbalanced because your giving servants a weakness that isn't real?
That's because the world is full of filthy sinners...

Kinda, but it also makes some, not all, some matches possible.

That's because the world is full of filthy sinners...

Kinda, but it also makes some, not all, some matches possible.
So your saying it's ok to intentionally LIE ABOUT HOW SOMETHING WORKS and MAKE UP FAKE WEAKNESSES just so they can put matches on profiles THAT THEY KNOW aren't deserved?

So your saying it's ok to intentionally LIE ABOUT HOW SOMETHING WORKS and MAKE UP FAKE WEAKNESSES just so they can put matches on profiles THAT THEY KNOW aren't deserved?
We aren't lying however, just applying age=mystery to things outside of Fate.

However, like Expectro said, there are arguments for both sides of the coin. Making both sides of the Mystery falling under Verse Equalization argument valid. It's up to personal interpretation.

For verse equalization, I tend to err on the side that, if an object is famous/has history accumulaetd, it should count as having mystery. Warhammer weapons/LotR weapons tend to come to mind.

But old for the sake of being old isnt a thing even in Nasuverse.

Back