• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Scorpee vs Hippopotamus (Real World)

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Okay, so I've been making art for an MMO called Eliatopia; wrote nearly the entire bestiary for it too. It's online now and it's got a story and paid features, so of course it qualifies for a verse here. One of my favorite monsters is the Scorpee, a giant yellow scorpion. Scorpees are essentially apex predators in Eliatopia; at least that's how I've set 'em up in the game. Hippopotamuses on the other hand, are huge monsters from Africa. While hippos generally weigh less on average than rhinos, hippos fought off rhinoceroses and are essentially the deadliest animal in Africa. Believe me, hippos aren't timid unlike rhinoceroses. Lions, even as prides, generally have a tough time dealing with hippos due to the latter's thick hide, powerful jaws and aggressive tendencies. I think the Scorpee's spearlike stinger may deal with the hippopotamus' thick hide and thus envenomate it, but I dunno about the rest of that stuff.

That being said, speed is equalized. Here are their profiles:

Scorpee's Profile
Hippopotamus' Profile

Who takes this?

Giant Scorpion: 0
Piglike Thing from Africa: 0
Inconclusive: 0

don't see a way for the hippo to really work around that venom
Are you sure about that? Because scorpions are normally incapacitated if you grab them by the tail:

A hippopotamus' bite force is 12600 kilopascals, or 1827.5 pounds (828.9 kg) per square inch: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7416829/

Looking at the hippopotamus' mouth, that thing's packing a lot of square inches!:
_75614316_fig2hippos.jpg

And it only needs to get 7.4 square inches of its mouth clamped around the Scorpee's tail to match the Scorpee's lifting strength (60 kilonewtons).

Then again, the Scorpee's intelligence can be compared to horses, unlike real-life scorpions which are just flat-out stupid like every other arthropod.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Because scorpions are normally incapacitated if you grab them by the tail:

A hippopotamus' bite force is 12600 kilopascals, or 1827.5 pounds (828.9 kg) per square inch: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7416829/

Looking at the hippopotamus' mouth, that thing's packing a lot of square inches!:
_75614316_fig2hippos.jpg

And it only needs to get 7.4 square inches of its mouth clamped around the Scorpee's tail to match the Scorpee's lifting strength (60 kilonewtons).

Then again, the Scorpee's intelligence can be compared to horses, unlike real-life scorpions which are just flat-out stupid like every other arthropod.

What's the speed & KE of the trucks they stop? This fight is going to get close.

What's the speed & KE of the trucks they stop? This fight is going to get close.
At the time, I assumed that the road outside of Alion City (one of the main places in Eliatopia) is one of those with a speed limit of 55 to 70 miles an hour from this: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/References_for_Common_Feats?so=search#Stopping_Cars

At the same time, a hippopotamus can survive getting bowled over by an elephant of all things, and an elephant can seriously wound a rhinoceros (221 kJ).: https://qr.ae/pyahsq

At the time, I assumed that the road outside of Alion City (one of the main places in Eliatopia) is one of those with a speed limit of 55 to 70 miles an hour from this: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/References_for_Common_Feats?so=search#Stopping_Cars

At the same time, a hippopotamus can survive getting bowled over by an elephant of all things, and an elephant can seriously wound a rhinoceros (221 kJ).: https://qr.ae/pyahsq
IRL is treated more realistically, an Elephant's charge isn't the same as a rhino & the Elephant could've added slight casualness into it's aggression with the hippo dura. Adult Elephants know that they're way stronger than all land animals in it's habitat.

Plus, even if the Elephant did charge into the hippo at full speed, the dispersed energy of the hippo isn't going to be as impressive as the Elephant's AP.

So it's 125 kJ v 1288 kJ (You didn't say the truck was a semi)? There's no way a hippo charge could harm the Scorpee, but since hippos are more likely to try to bite, they can still harm the Scorpee.

Any details on how the poison of the Scorpee works? There could be a starting timelimit where the hippo could still bite before being paralyzed. Even IRL venoms still take time to take effect.

Any details on how the poison of the Scorpee works? There could be a starting timelimit where the hippo could still bite before being paralyzed. Even IRL venoms still take time to take effect.
In the Eliapedia entry, the venom is stated to be a paralytic, and the poison damage happens on-hit despite, in gameplay, no visible effects on any of the humans you play as occur (Robby never really figured out how to work in envenomation). A lot of the inspiration for the Scorpee is the deathstalker scorpion, and given the lore of the game and the Eliapedia entry of the Scorpee, I think it's safe for me to say the Scorpee is a mutated deathstalker scorpion.
More like 221 kJ since hippos more or less stalemate against rhinos.

In the Eliapedia entry, the venom is stated to be a paralytic, and the poison damage happens on-hit despite, in gameplay, no visible effects on any of the humans you play as occur (Robby never really figured out how to work in envenomation). A lot of the inspiration for the Scorpee is the deathstalker scorpion, and given the lore of the game and the Eliapedia entry of the Scorpee, I think it's safe for me to say the Scorpee is a mutated deathstalker scorpion.
You didn't say that the poison took a long or short time.
More like 221 kJ since hippos more or less stalemate against rhinos.
Can you remind me on how they stalemate? We can't give this joule value on the profile. However, if they've been shown to harm animals on that level easily, the hippo would have a better chance since the AP could be around at that level. But then again, hippo charges & bites don't have the adaptations of a rhino

Can you remind me on how they stalemate? We can't give this joule value on the profile. However, if they've been shown to harm animals on that level easily, the hippo would have a better chance since the AP could be around at that level. But then again, hippo charges & bites don't have the adaptations of a rhino
Sure. In this thread that never really got traction, I've put up videos of instances where the hippo and the rhino each won.: https://vsbattles.com/threads/horne...ater-white-rhinoceros-vs-hippopotamus.147262/

Hippos intimidate rhinos be opening their jaw. That takes care of the first 2 videos.

I did skim through the videos, but the third one had a Rhino without their horn. Rhinos are a lot less dangerous without their horns since it's an adaptation that allows them to withstand running & piercing into objects. Hippos can unintentionally withstand itself running into a wall since it's robust bones are very dense to where they can walk underwater. That's the explanation for the 3rd video.

I mean, your arguement of "stalemate against rhinos" needs context. Both animals typically don't want to fight each other unless if they threaten one another. If their piercing damage can crack their horns off, then I'd say your argument is valid. But they're not very fierce fighters against each other.

The Elephant concentrated it's AP into it's horns & cut through Elephant flesh. It wasn't through sheer raw power.

I would like to note that your reason is getting close to the "power scaling" mentality. Sure, when we scale animals, we use a more realistic form of it, but that doesn't always mean that "X animal" always has "Y animal's AP/Durability in J." The reason why Elephants don't have the J of a rhino is because of them having different adaptations, weights & speed.

From the looks of here, the hippo doesn't stand much of a chance, it would need to bite the scorpee to harm it but that also puts it at risk of it being poisoned for an unspecified time. This would invalidate it's potentially higher durability from it taking attacks from elephants. Whether or not it's been poisoned, The Scorpee is wayyyy stronger in AP & LS. The hippo isn't intelligent enough to hold the Scorpee by the tail to incap it either. The Hippo could take attacks from the Scorpee, but this would be like the Hippo fighting an Elephant.

If you want to keep this match, I think 2 hippos in-front of & against a Scorpee would be interesting. We've done animal matches with more than one of the same IRL animal species before. If you think this match is a bit lost, then you can do 2 White Rhinos facing a Scorpee.

Bro Scorpee's profile is actual ass. No proof of any feats, abilities, or scaling; it just links to the wiki lol.

Back