• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saint Seiya Discussion Thread (IV)

90% written by him? is that true? if so then yeah it would undoubtedly be canon but is there like some source for that? OG authors making active suggestions and doing art isnt really unheard of but the former statement changes everything if true

The sources is the totality of context on the current blog. Some changes are needed though but nothing that will impact that part of it.

eh, they all seemed like separate points to me so thats how i chose to respond

I should work in that then. Maybe all one paragraph?

but isnt that bad though? because Kurumada is gonna do a heaven arc for sure and i'm like 90% sure that depiction of Zeus is gonna contradict GA like how the last ND chapters did
Depends on how the story pans out + the Zeus we saw was just hin possessing a body. That was it.

tbh you could say that for a lot of franchises but canonicity is the kind of thing thats really dependent on the authors at the end of the day (except for Pokemon)
There is plenty of verses that get special camoncity treatment lol

Anime vs manga vs light novel vs web Novel. The eastern media is littered with it

tbh you could say that for a lot of franchises but canonicity is the kind of thing thats really dependent on the authors at the end of the day (except for Pokemon)
Proving Classic is canon to everything is easier than proving the opposite, unless you think canon is a transitive property.

Proving Classic is canon to everything is easier than proving the opposite, unless you think canon is a transitive property.
oh yeah that's a given. idk who would the classic wouldn't be canon to others works. i'm more so talking about the opposite, as you mentioned

The sources is the totality of context on the current blog. Some changes are needed though but nothing that will impact that part of it.
i did read it yeah but it still kinda felt like the "why" component was missing. i dont know if others will get the same impression as i did because my perception of canon might be warped but idk
I should work in that then. Maybe all one paragraph?
well more like the fact that those points almost seemed disconnected from each other and from the actual conclusion. i don't mind the current format and it probably makes responding easier if anything
Depends on how the story pans out + the Zeus we saw was just hin possessing a body. That was it.
i guess that's true but still it really feels like we're setting ourselves up to shoot ourselves in the foot with this, cuz from what i understand ND chap 116 kinda hinted to me that Kuru doesnt really give much of a crap about being consistent with the "successor spinoffs"
There is plenty of verses that get special camoncity treatment lol

Anime vs manga vs light novel vs web Novel. The eastern media is littered with it
tbh I'd argue the western comics are worse in that case. there's a reason why you have the stereotype of a comic book debater winning a debate instantly the moment they pull a panel out of some obscure 1960s comic, which was only printed 40 times in total, where the character they're arguing for is a multiversal God or something.

that said, even japanese media that follow this, Tensura comes to mind, make it rather clear that those 4 continuations are separate for the most part, which is why they're indexed separately. for example Classroom of the Elite anime, manga and LN are all QUITE different from each other, and are indexed separately here.

Every spin off requires Classic in some way, all of them should be able to it for scaling, especially newer spin offs like Dark Wing that literally feature Classic characters
Plus Lost Canvas characters, Dark Wing is the key to all of this

i can already understand classic (and even ND) being canon to everything. that's pretty much a truism. I'm more so talking about the other way around as Hasty said, why do we inherently assume that the reverse also holds true?

i can already understand classic (and even ND) being canon to everything. that's pretty much a truism. I'm more so talking about the other way around as Hasty said, why do we inherently assume that the reverse also holds true?
Already explained, Kurumadas writing and involvement is >90%

As far I know, from some light looking around, that’s just kinda how the site treats it. If there’s some argument for canon, and there’s no reason for it to be noncanon, it’s seemingly generally accepted to be the same canon. To go back to the DBH example from a while back, there are definitely reasons for it to be non canon.

They'll continue to deny our Lord's power you'll see

Edit on a serious note will you try it before Daima or after it begins?
probably after, a key revision has to pass before it but once it does, DB would pretty much be a textbook example that qualifies

Last edited:
As far I know, from some light looking around, that’s just kinda how the site treats it.
but why? like from my research its just something everyone accepted cuz....Matt said it, and even though some of his problems were later rectified by Hasty, we still keep this but without an adequate explanation or reason?
If there’s some argument for canon, and there’s no reason for it to be noncanon,
to my knowledge, inconsistencies usually are grounds for rendering something non-canon, how significant they are is a different debate but that's what i've seen in most threads, especially DC threads.
it’s seemingly generally accepted to be the same canon. To go back to the DBH example from a while back, there are definitely reasons for it to be non canon.
if the argument is that the author never worked on it, then yeah sure you could say DBH would be non-canon (although Dragon Ball Online is pretty much all Toriyama, so isnt that canon?) by this standard (which is like the usual standard anyway) but then this would mean that other stuff that the author has had more than a non-trivial influence on or has done more than a non-significant amount of work for, would be considered canon for pretty much any verse barring major inconsistencies.

and that's the problem, i still don't understand "Why"

still waitin on a source for that
It does not have, literally every spin-off only has Kuramada's right, like any official work, Kuramada didn't work on any spin-offs, everything is the work of third parties, the only thing he has more involvement in is classic Saint Seiya and ND, other than that, it's all parallel worlds that don't coexist in the same main story.

i mean i'm definitely not opposed to it if there's actual strong evidence to consider everything canon and cross-scalable, or a good reason, i just haven't yet seen it and this is after I took a lot of time to read and understand the canon blog.

but as i thought unfortunately, the reason its treated that way here is mostly because....it just kinda is, as @StekFence said and i dont think that's a good thing personally.

i mean i'm definitely not opposed to it if there's actual strong evidence to consider everything canon and cross-scalable, or a good reason, i just haven't yet seen it and this is after I took a lot of time to read and understand the canon blog.

but as i thought unfortunately, the reason its treated that way here is mostly because....it just kinda is, as @StekFence said and i dont think that's a good thing personally.
The new official website (which I think went offline recently?) Listed Kurumada as the author and writer fir every work. Ot dod not say "original creator" it full in said "author and writer" and then Okada, shirori, Suna etc were quiet literally listed as artist, or "cartoonist"

The new official website (which I think went offline recently?) Listed Kurumada as the author and writer fir every work. Ot dod not say "original creator" it full in said "author and writer" and then Okada, shirori, Suna etc were quiet literally listed as artist, or "cartoonist"
Of course, that's right about him, that doesn't make it canon since his name is even in games, the same things happen with any franchise.

but we know that's not really true though. Okada and Shiori for sure wrote a majority of it themselves as far as i've known

Of course, that's right about him, that doesn't make it canon since his name is even in games, the same things happen with any franchise.
Except there is direct statements that says he wrote G, LC, etc.

Why are we changing the rules of what can and cannot be canon?

Except there is direct statements that says he wrote G, LC, etc.
There is absolutely nothing claiming that he wrote anything, just that he let writers do whatever they want with their spin-off
Why are we changing the rules of what can and cannot be canon?
Because that's not how canon, they have different stories, different cosmology, it is only official like any media and contains the name of the creator at the end, that is not enough to be canon.

how so?? isnt the reason Kuru chose to let Okada handle the prequel stuff because he couldnt really write it at the time?
Yes, but he wrote tge dialouge.

All character interactions, the plot, the dialouges, the monologs, the siloquies, etc all of was written by Kurumada. All Okada had to do was draw it.

Writing a script is simple

Just hand Okada a paper that goes

Aiolios: XYZABC

Saga:WTF YOU SAY?

Aiolia: idk what's going on. But I mist fight

Etc

It's that simple. Mean there might a couple details in there about how a fight should go but im not a story writer or confident in my writing skills so I won't attempt that

This is backed by multiple interviews, and WoG.

Back