• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ryu vs The Way (WWE vs Street Fighter) Grace

I mean, I feel like you are actually the one overestimating the feat, you don't a special sixth sense or some crazy skill to dodge a dude going in a straight line to you while yelling very loudly, he could tell where the opponent was and the proximity by the loud yelling, the most impressive part was the punch that he connected after dodge but he also got hit back the moment the other dude attacked without yelling (or will you say that suddenly his sixth sense didn't activate against that simple kick?).
You could argue this, sure, except the commentary team makes sure to note it as a supernatural ability

You don't need a sixth sense or be even super skilled to dodge a tackle, he had his eyes on him all the time and had more than enough time to react to the opponent starting to run. You should really not take as an absolute truth everything the commentators say, the have very demonstrably be wrong in several times, exaggerate thing to hype fights (which is normal because that's the work of commentators in any sport) many times and more.
That’s a misunderstanding of the role of the commentators, and mistaking their kayfabe roles for their actual roles. They are essentially characters built for explaining the events of any given moment (there’s a word for this I can’t remember). We don’t automatically take their word as gospel, but they would need to directly and blatantly contradict the events of a match for us to ignore them, which they don’t here.

There’s a suspension of belief you need with these feats, yes, but that’s the same with the entire verse. Interpreting everything as literally as possible would make this an AP stomp lmao

If we interpreted everything commentary says as them "hyping everything up" then a majority of the things we have for the verse would need to be removed.

If we interpreted everything commentary says as them "hyping everything up" then a majority of the things we have for the verse would need to be removed.
Don't say that, you're going to end up ******* yourself over with statements like that

I think Ryu should take this. He's fought so many different kinds of opponents of a variety of different styles and won. Wrestlers, especially ones where they also have some other fighting styles to back them up shouldn't be an issue for Ryu.

Fighting in the dark shouldn't be much of an issue for Ryu either. He can likely sense where the attacks are coming from, like when C-Viper tried sneak attacking him. Ryu can also manipulate chi, so that gives him pretty good sensing abilities. Ryu obviously also has his hadokens, tatsumaki's, shoryuken's, etc. He can even stun them and electrify them with the Denji Hadoken. So, Ryu's got a lot of skills and ideas he could use to beat these two Wrestlers. I'm going with Ryu on this one.

I may be wrong but Analytical Prediction << fighting someone who can literally just see the future and admits that it's hard to see the future of fighters on his level.
Wait, aren't analytical prediction and precognition rather different. Yeah, they both let you see the opponent's attack before hand, but one is more based on mentality and reads and the other one is deadass seeing into the future.
I think Ryu should take this. He's fought so many different kinds of opponents of a variety of different styles and won. Wrestlers, especially ones where they also have some other fighting styles to back them up shouldn't be an issue for Ryu.

Fighting in the dark shouldn't be much of an issue for Ryu either. He can likely sense where the attacks are coming from, like when C-Viper tried sneak attacking him. Ryu can also manipulate chi, so that gives him pretty good sensing abilities. Ryu obviously also has his hadokens, tatsumaki's, shoryuken's, etc. He can even stun them and electrify them with the Denji Hadoken. So, Ryu's got a lot of skills and ideas he could use to beat these two Wrestlers. I'm going with Ryu on this one.
Denjin is sadly restricted since he only learned it after

Regardless, Maid makes some good points, and projectiles & the ability to set them on fire with Shakunetsu is really damn good. Tatsumaki Sepukyaku being used to make sure he isn't pincered is nice too. So my vote go to Ryu.

Wait, aren't analytical prediction and precognition rather different. Yeah, they both let you see the opponent's attack before hand, but one is more based on mentality and reads and the other one is deadass seeing into the future.
So, Analytical Prediction is when the user can predict an opponents movements through observations like reading a person's body movements, predicting how certain attacks will function, doing whole mathematical predictions, and so on. Precog is well, yeah you literally see into the future.

Denjin is sadly restricted since he only learned it after
It is? I thought the only thing being restricted was their tier levels? Huh...However, yeah Ryu should still win.

I may be wrong but Analytical Prediction << fighting someone who can literally just see the future and admits that it's hard to see the future of fighters on his level. That being said, Ryu is also capable of reading his opponent's moves and learning ways to defeat even the most supernaturally gifted fighters with all different kinds of styles like Taekwondo, senjutsu, rindo-kan karate, kickboxing, psycho power, lucha libre... his rival even developed his own style of karate. Ryu can also sense people attacking before they do and is able to sense chi. So fighting in the dark should not be any issue for the guy.
Honestly, I'm kinda against using Menat's statement here. I haven't played SF5 in a while, but isn't it implied and outright shown her future reading powers aren't all that developed?

Ryu FRA
Pretty sure it's a stomp tho

I do think this is a stomp, honestly.

So far all things said are correct, but I want to add some:

Ryu has Class M LS, while the Way only peak human. This is a huge disadvantage for wrestlers, especially when put against someone as skilled as Ryu, meaning they won't move him an inch, nor will be able to withstand the push of his attacks, his throws or anything.

As talked previously in a WWE team vs Terry Bogard and Joe Higashi, the fighting styles of fighting game characters just outclass those of any real fighter. In SF too you have people who casually jump up to 10 meters, do aerial combos, fight perfectly while crouching and do any sort of impossible move from any position, let alone the usage of weapons, projectiles etc... Even Dan, the worst SF character, has a repertoire of techniques that would be phisically impossible for any real human. Ryu fights those people on a daily basis, and is regarded as one of the best in the verse. There's no way they can predict him doing such things, since they don't even think them being possible in the real place.

In terms of skill, The Way might be among the best wrestlers WWE has to offer, but Ryu tops basically everyone in his world, which crams together fighters from all disciplines, often mixed and created anew (each augmented by said superhuman traits), and he himself trained in a supernatural form of karate, while also having expanded it by adding techniques from every fighter he's met (it's all in his profile).
I also want to add how canonically The Way are still athletes, as WWE's kayfabe always treats their events as sports. Meanwhile, Ryu lives in a world where people fight each other to unconsciousness in every environment, without any rule, and with much higher stuff at stake, a few examples being simply being completely put on fire, fall from several meters or be slammed against concrete head-first, are a normal occurrence, while even in-canon such things do cause relevant harm to wrestlers (just see how big of a deal is treated falling from the top of the cage).
Ryu has also gone toe-to-toe with people who were actively trying to murder him, it takes just a quick google search to see how different are things when you put the perspective of someone used to fight for sport against one who does it to kill and survive, especially in real life.

Ryu is also far from new in fighting wrestlers who outperform any irl wrestler FRA. He is more than accostumed to deal with the likes of Zangief, Honda and Guile, who all mix supernatural wrestling (military wrestling, pro-wrestling and sumo, in these cases) with other martial arts, and he has also crossed path with Nash, Alex and likely Hugo.

And yes, The Way has no reply to projectiles, fire, stun, punches that create tornadoes, kicks that create vacuums, (limited) damage null, damage boost that increase his already higher AP etc...

Honestly, I'm kinda against using Menat's statement here. I haven't played SF5 in a while, but isn't it implied and outright shown her future reading powers aren't all that developed?
This is why the resistance is listed as limited.
Menat herself states multiple times that she can use her prediction in combat, she just says it's difficult to use it against top fighters, not that it is outright impossible.

Kinda, R. Mika still has all the superhuman combat style and fighting experience to throw in-there, she's already considered among the top wrestlers of her world, has a LS advantage, higher AP, regularly trains with Zangief and is able to summon her tag team partner.

Imho, Mika is a much better matchup for the WWE guys than someone like Ryu.

Yes, her fighting style is unorthodox, but she doesn't really seem to have too many ranged options. She just does normal wrestling moves in unorthodox ways, which is a lot easier to handle than someone like Ryu, who has quite a few range options.

Back