• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY - Sea Feilong Circular Reasoning

Err, doesn't use the gun to help pull the Nevermore up mean it isn't 'pure physical strength'?

She wasnt using the gun to pull the nevermore, all it was doing was adding momentum which should make the feat more impressive as it would increase the weight she was carrying up the cliffside as its adding more force pushing downwards

I... don't think that's how that works. She was using the recoil of her rifle to help pull the Nevermore up.

Why else would she be constantly shooting as she's dragging it up the cliff? It's the same priciniple as her using her gun to launch herself through the air.

WeeklyBattles said:
It was pure physical strength, she was using the gun to get extra momentum which should actually make the feat more impressive
Pulling something upwards with extra momentum... is more impressive than pulling something up without it having extra momentum?

WeeklyBattles said:
She wasnt using the gun to pull the nevermore, all it was doing was adding momentum which should make the feat more impressive as it would increase the weight she was carrying up the cliffside as its adding more force pushing downwards
No.

Proppelling something from downwards to upwards makes it less impressive. If she were to be shooting upwards, you would have a point, but that isn't the case.

It would also make zero sense

Yes it does actually, if youre increasing the force used to pull something upwards there is an equal amount of force pulling downwards due to gravity and Newton's Third Law

Wouldn't that make the recoil maneuvers Ruby does to launch herself through the air completely impossible?

Yes weekly.

And that force is transfered to the bullet, not the bird, or ruby.

Also, aren't the propelling bullets made of gravity dust? Physic ain't aplyin' there.

@Ricsi Heve you ever fired a high-powered rifle? There is substantial kickback that can propel you backwards if you arent careful. The same applies here.

And no, she wasnt using gravity dust, just her regular ammo. She uses regular ammo to propel herself.

Exactly.

The bullet is being fired downwards, and the kickback is propelling upwards. The kickback is helping ruby, not slowing her.

I remember you saying that, but I might be wrong

I have to side with Ricsi on this one; as you say, the recoil from her bullets is stupidly strong and that was helping her pull the Nevermore up.

Yes, the bullet is firing down, the recoil is pulling up, but it is meeting resistance in the Nevermore which in turn is being pulled up while gravity is trying to pull it down, thus increasing the overall load Ruby has to carry as she's increasing the force pulling upwards which in turn increases the force trying to pull the nevermore down, albeit slightly in comparison to the nevermore itself

Damage3245 said:
I have to side with Ricsi on this one; as you say, the recoil from her bullets is stupidly strong and that was helping her pull the Nevermore up.
At no point is it even impliued the bullets were helping her pull it up. Going by how physics works what she was doing would be less helpful

Look at it this way Weekly.

Forces pulling down: Weight of the Nevermore.

Forces pulling up: Ruby's lifting strength + the recoil of Crescent Rose.

The force pulling down is the weight of the nevermore which increases every time she fires her gun as she's increasing the force pulling up

What even are you talking about?

The mass or weight of something doesn't increase due to recoil.

Much like when you fire a gun, it pushes the oposite way of where you shoot.

In this case, it's pushing upwards, thus adding more mumentum upwards, thus lessening the need for ruby to push herself.

and a last time:

And again, "why would she do it if it didn't help?"

WeeklyBattles said:
The force pulling down is the weight of the nevermore which increases every time she fires her gun as she's increasing the force pulling up
That's not how it works.

If you pull something up it doesn't become heavier.

Not with shots, not with normal pushing

WeeklyBattles said:
>why would she do it if it didn't help?
Monty loved Rule of Cool, thats pretty much it
But your science is borken.

Let's aply this to ruby.

She uses her gun to properl herself upwards. By logic, this would simply make her heavier, thus making it impossible.

... How does lifting something make it equally heavier? Wouldn't that make it impossible to lift anything?

Well, I'm not advocating changing her lifting strength, just the justification. Since Ricsi is agreeing with me and since the rating isn't actually changing, I'll go ahead and change the justification to be more accurate.

Such a miniscule detail of her shooting while pulling up the nevermore doesn't change anything. She wasn't shooting the whole time which means that she was still able to pull the nevermore up. Actually was friction ever brought up in the calculation? Ruby was pulling the Nevermore while going against the friction against the cliff, if that wasn't then the calculation would be wrong and the result should be higher.

Back