• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

resistance to sleep manipulation for goku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argue in sleep manip favour: Roshi has Sleep Inducement and was the one supposed to trigger Goku but the latter was triggered by Bulma. The point is Goku is capable of hear voices even sleeping but shouldn't woke up without Roshi's signal. So that's a very limited Sleep Manipulation Resistance.

Argue against it:

- It's not proper resistance since he falled asleep.

- Gag,

- Enhanced senses feat.

My opinion: I'm neutral. But it seems like resistance. Goku wasn't supposed to woke up but still did it. Bulma triggered Goku but was Goku who woke up in the end. I think Goku was unconscious that he was sleeping til Bulma yelled 'food' and he woke up.

If Goku was completely out of it, as in "He won't wake up no matter what" then what people are saying about "Oh I was asleep and I could still hear people" is a non-applicable comparison. It's explicitly stated how Roshi's sleep inducement works; that no matter how much you scream or shout, it won't matter. However, it's clear that Goku at least retained some form of consciousness and enough to hear Bulma. Point is, he was still "awake" and was able to DECIDE to wake himself up. That's Sleep Inducement resistance.

Oh and Enhanced Senses does not allow someone to somehow regain consciouness even if someone had enhanced senses due to the fact that the Inducer's very words stated that the person effected should NOT be able to wake up until he says the word. The very fact that Goku was conscious enough to even hear a trigger word and break out of sleep that should normally be impossible to break out of SCREAMS resistance.

Also Resistance implies you're able to fight back against said effect, not that you're totally immune and cannot be sleep induced no matter what. RESISTance. Not immunity. So what people are disagreeing with is immunity, not resistance. Get the actual term right guys.

Also, Arale is a Gag. Should we discount EVERYTHING Arale has?

AstralKing7 said:
I took psychology so and I don't think being unconscious and asleep are the same thing lol
Depends on the phase of sleep. If you're in deep REM then you're not hearing CRAP. If you're in the early/initial stages of sleep like what you'd feel when falling asleep in class (It takes roughly 90 Minutes before you enter into REM so to all those people who say they've experienced the same thing as Goku, no you haven't). If what Roshi says is true, Goku should be in the late stages of Sleep as normal people shouldn't be able to hear/wake up to anything, exactly like what Roshi describes.

This is being complicated for no reason. Just keep it simple like this.

Roshi put Goku under his sleep hax from which only Roshi could have woken him up.

Goku heard Bulma's voice. That can be attributed to his enhanced senses or the fact that he still retained some of his consciousness and did not go into deep sleep despite Roshi's effort.

The main point, however, is that Goku woke up without getting a signal from Roshi. This would never have happened without Goku resisting the hax.

The hax says Goku will only wake up if the user of the hax woke him up. Goku says lolnope and woke up without following the precedent set by the hax. This is textbook definition of resistance, albeit in this case, limited.

Resistance is the ability to lessen the effectiveness of certain techniques and abilities through whatever means. In many cases, it can occur through sheer willpower, especially in the case of mental attacks. For any ability, resistance to that ability can be demonstrated, to varying degrees of effectiveness, ranging from slight and mostly inconsequential to extremely high.

It's literally a gag and even then Goku didn't lolnope it Bulma did and someone said he isn't resistant in the manga so it doesn't even matter anymore

Give him resistance if you like but its non-combat applicable anyway as there'll be no one who'll come to wake him up, seeing as Goku resists sleep manip but not being put to sleep.

AstralKing7 said:
It's literally a gag and even then Goku didn't lolnope it Bulma did and someone said he isn't resistant in the manga so it doesn't even matter anymore
Is that the only thing you can say?

Even if it's non-combat applicable it was stated before that this is an index-wiki not vs-debating. Limited Sleep Manipulation Resistance must be in Goku's page.

It's not a must be tbh

We add abilties that make sense we don't add abilties just for the sake of it when we know this resistance of Goku isn't truly resistant when he needs someone else's help so it's not an ability

I'm neutral at this point, but it also applies to Z and Super Goku along with Goku Black.

at this point.....in cases like these i always thought characters are given "limited resistance"....i am not saying that goku showed very good resistance or complete resistance or immunity....but no matter how you slice and dice it....he did show some resistance or poor resistance......and when that happens i always thought that is why characters are given "limited" resistance

that should be the best option we have

Also Astral, saying "it's a gag" isn't an excuse not to apply the resistance. Or else Arale would have no abilities whatsoever

AstralKing7 said:
No that wasn't the point from the start lol I've been following this thread for a week or two
No it was the one who made the thread mentioned that it would be non combat applicable and rather limted early on.

AKM sama said:
What goes into a profile doesn't have to be applicable in a 1v1 fight. There are several abilities which are not combat applicable. This is first an indexing site, not a vs debating site.
And

AKM sama said:
On one hand you can say that he did fell asleep. On the other hand you can also say that Goku could hear Bulma's voice even in his sleep and woke up without any order from Roshi. I think it can be limited resistance.
I was wrong AKM said it not the one who made the OP.

This isn't resistance. It's someone waking him up.

Saying that this qualifies for resistance is the same as saying that slapping someone to their senses gives the victim a resistance to Mind Manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back