• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing Surge's statements and upgrading speed (Sonic IDW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, we can just pick and choose what elements of the games are completely canon and which are purely background information?
The background elements of the games being canon to IDW has been already explained before, although I need to say that the series seems to be going to a unification of all the recent medias other than the Live action movies, with all the works being stated to take place on the same universe, or at least close enough of being the same.

Ian said that is still something that they will make it clear in the future, but by going of Iizuka's interview all of the recent Sonics are the same Sonic and all those works take place in the same world.

If I were to try to make sense of this, it's clear that Ian works on "his notion of Sonic", of course, he needs to follow SEGA's ideas for the characters, but he can limit the scope of the adventures to fit the story he wants to tell (That are best city-level stories with maybe a planet level epic finale), if he needs to borrow something from the greater canon to explain something, he, of course, will, that is how he explained Sonic Man being fast enough to move in stopped time saying that Sonic could do the same and make time move again in Generations.

On Ian's podcast it's very clear that there are no real limits to what they can do, but they have their preferences, and Sonic will be as fast as it needs to a story to be good, with for Ian, is mostly just Mach 1 (The relativistic speed feat is exactly from a comic that Ian didn't write IIRC). I would say that it's similar to how Starline explained the Chaos Emeralds being "chaotic" and having no set power level, so similarly Sonic will be as fast as needed for the story, and Ian's stories that isn't really that fast.

Last edited:
Agreed to all overall changes and apologies for the confusion earlier

Agreed to all overall changes and apologies for the confusion earlier
No.
The background elements of the games being canon to IDW has been already explained before, although I need to say that the series seems to be going to a unification of all the recent medias other than the Live action movies, with all the works being stated to take place on the same universe, or at least close enough of being the same.

Ian said that is still something that they will make it clear in the future, but by going of Iizuka's interview all of the recent Sonics are the same Sonic and all those works take place in the same world.

If I were to try to make sense of this, it's clear that Ian works on "his notion of Sonic", of course, he needs to follow SEGA's ideas for the characters, but he can limit the scope of the adventures to fit the story he wants to tell (That are best city-level stories with maybe a planet level epic finale), if he needs to borrow something from the greater canon to explain something, he, of course, will, that is how he explained Sonic Man being fast enough to move in stopped time saying that Sonic could do the same and make time move again in Generations.

On Ian's podcast it's very clear that there are no real limits to what they can do, but they have their preferences, and Sonic will be as fast as it needs to a story to be good, with for Ian, is mostly just Mach 1 (The relativistic speed feat is exactly from a comic that Ian didn't write IIRC). I would say that it's similar to how Starline explained the Chaos Emeralds being "chaotic" and having no set power level, so similarly Sonic will be as fast as needed for the story, and Ian's stories that isn't really that fast.
That's sensible.
I've adjusted the OP, could you give an input.

ngl i feel like sonic shouldve already have been ftl even before this thread

like he was clearly still outpacing someone who we considered moving at exactly light speed, does that not warrant ftl???

ngl i feel like sonic shouldve already have been ftl even before this thread

like he was clearly still outpacing someone who we considered moving at exactly light speed, does that not warrant ftl???
The line wasn't the most reliable given it's by an arrogant character. No matter, FTL is valid now

The line wasn't the most reliable given it's by an arrogant character. No matter, FTL is valid now
i know, im talking about before we all thought that

like currently on the profile sonic is SoL for those reasons even though he basically outpaced someone who we considered was moving at 299,792,458 m/s

I get the Wisp scaling though this would only apply for Surge with the "Dynamo Cage" right? Wouldnt it contradict what Ian just said about her not being SoL, The only difference between her in the issue where she makes the SoL statement and her now that would explain the increase in speed is the Dynamo Cage

Last edited:
I understand the Wisp scaling though this would only apply for Surge with the "Dynamo Cage" right?
Sonic can keep up with her, and had several statements where he surpasses the SoL.
Wouldnt it contradict what Ian just said about her not being SoL, The only difference between her in the issue where she makes the SoL statement and her now that would explain the increase in speed is the Dynamo Cage
Ian thinks IDW and Game Sonic is Mach 1. He just discredited the line from a character he has some authority over.

What Ian thinks outside his field of authority is worthless.

It should be noted in the issue where Surge reacts to the Cyan wisp and Sonic barely keeps up with her, on top of her being massively amped with hyper-go-on (as we already know via the dynamo cage) Sonic is in a weaken state thanks to his injured leg.
Ian thinks IDW and Game Sonic is Mach 1.
Yet he made an ill Sonic do this. Funny enough Sonic has been temporary nerfed on four separate occasions in IDW (infected in the Metal Virus arc, amnesia in the Metal Virus epilogue, injured leg in the Imposter arc and a sprained ankle in the Scrapnik mini series). It's cute how the writers have to repeatedly cripple the MC in order to have any stakes in the story, even tho we already know the game characters have Sega approved platinum level plot armour lol!

Overall I agree with the proposals with the CRT.

Last edited:
It should be noted in the issue where Surge reacts to the Cyan wisp and Sonic barely keeps up with her, on top of her being massively amped with hyper-go-on (as we already know via the dynamo cage) Sonic is in a weaken state thanks to his injured leg.

Yet he made an ill Sonic do this. Funny enough Sonic has been temporary nerfed on four separate occasions in IDW (infected in the Metal Virus arc, amnesia in the Metal Virus epilogue, injured leg in the Imposter arc and a sprained ankle in the Scrapnik mini series). It's cute how the writers have to repeatedly cripple the MC in order to have any stakes in the story, even tho we already know the game characters have Sega approved platinum level plot armour lol!

Overall I agree with the proposals with the CRT.
That's what you have to do when your character is literally the fastest thing on your Universe

The Cyan Laser is directly stated to be SoL in the game canon, I'll find the statement in a sec

Edit:

Need an input.

Sonic has a single Relativistic+ feat, backed up by a gazillion of Hypersonic and High Hypersonic calculations. Hell, Super Sonic and Silver moving at barely above baseline FTL speeds around the planet is considered a feat of great effort.

Sonic has a single Relativistic+ feat, backed up by a gazillion of Hypersonic and High Hypersonic calculations.
Most his Hypersonic feats are extremely casual, or are in situations where Sonic is nearly exhausted, such as his High Hypersonic feat.
He has consistently been stated to hold back his true speed, and when he finally states to use his max speed, he performs a Rel+ feat, which is only a Rel+ feat if we assume the bare minimum, it's likely far faster than that.

Now we have the feat, Cyan Wisp Surge being "outran" by Sonic, Surge reacting to Cyan Wisp, on top of his game statements of being FTL.

FTL is beyond fair here, Null.
Hell, Super Sonic and Silver moving at barely above baseline FTL speeds around the planet is considered a feat of great effort.
We can't even see the full scope of the feat, first of all. Second, this doesn't outweigh the evidence at all.

he finally states to use his max speed
When is this statement exactly? Sonic declares that he was "experimenting" with the laws of the maze when he began running, and when he did go "faster", he broke into a burst sprint to push Amy's Piko-Piko Hammer into a wall. This is also ignoring the fact that the maze was actively rearranging itself as Sonic and co. made their mad dash for the exit, meaning they did not completely outspeed its expansion, but whatever.

Sonic has a single Relativistic+ feat, backed up by a gazillion of Hypersonic and High Hypersonic calculations. Hell, Super Sonic and Silver moving at barely above baseline FTL speeds around the planet is considered a feat of great effort.
There’s nothing here in this panel implying it was great effort, it was the Warp Topaz not being able to handle the stress it was being put under and they having to go even faster as a consequence?

There’s nothing here in this panel implying it was great effort, it was the Warp Topaz not being able to handle the stress it was being put under and they having to go even faster as a consequence?
Sonic and Silver were both very explicitly pushing their limits while expunging the Metal Virus. Besides, "we're kicking it into Super Sonic speed!" suggests that the two were going beyond their usual speeds; ergo, "great effort". Their urgency further substantiates this.

Sonic and Silver were both very explicitly pushing their limits while expunging the Metal Virus. Besides, "we're kicking it into Super Sonic speed!" suggests that the two were going beyond their usual speeds; ergo, "great effort". Their urgency further substantiates this.
They're pushing their limits because they're specifically pulling out the individual metal virus cells out of every living being in the planet, nothing about their speed. The fact they can go even faster after this while already pushing their limits shows that speed isn't what they're struggling with. Their urgency is due to them not knowing how long the Warp Topaz has before its overloaded.

They're pushing their limits because they're specifically pulling out the individual metal virus cells out of every living being in the planet, nothing about their speed. The fact they can go even faster after this while already pushing their limits shows that speed isn't what they're struggling with. Their urgency is due to them not knowing how long the Warp Topaz has before its overloaded.
In specific, Ian did say that even for Super Forms they might have taken a lot of time to do that and in regards to speed, they wouldn't be going fast exactly because he doesn't want even Super forms to be able to circle the globe in 60 seconds or anything at that level (I guess if sonic is mach 1 for him, maybe super forms are mach 5 or something like that). But I think that people are already not accepting his word for things like this.

In specific, Ian did say that even for Super Forms they might have taken a lot of time to do that and in regards to speed, they wouldn't be going fast exactly because he doesn't want even Super forms to be able to circle the globe in 60 seconds or anything at that level (I guess if sonic is mach 1 for him, maybe super forms are mach 5 or something like that). But I think that people are already not accepting his word for things like this.
That's honestly absurd, far too incongruent with how the Super Forms are portrayed. If you don't want them to be FTL, you don't make them go around the globe several times in one panel

That's honestly absurd, far too incongruent with how the Super Forms are portrayed. If you don't want them to be FTL, you don't make them go around the globe several times in one panel
I agree, he thought about that when someone asked if the Super Forms needed rings like the games and he said yes, but the way it was portrayed in the comics would imply that the Super forms did everything in less than 60 seconds, so "think that Super Silver grabbed rings with his abilities while they circled the globe". I guess that Ian just doesn't want Sonic to be faster than Mach 1 at all costs, even as Super Forms.

I agree, he thought about that when someone asked if the Super Forms needed rings like the games and he said yes, but the way it was portrayed in the comics would imply that the Super forms did everything in less than 60 seconds, so "think that Super Silver grabbed rings with his abilities while they circled the globe". I guess that Ian just doesn't want Sonic to be faster than Mach 1 at all costs, even as Super Forms.
Luckily, Ian isn't the sole writer of IDW. When the other writer gets their hands on an issue, we get high end feats like Sonic's Ad Infinitum Maze feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back