• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing Fear Manipulation from the Narutoverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear Manipulation, otherwise known as Fear Inducement is the ability in which to inflict a level of "fear" on the target using supernatural means. Depending on the severity of the fear, the user can use this to manipulate the target, incapacitate them or simply drive them insane.

It should be noted simply terrorizing the opponent either by authority, strength or demeanour only would qualify as Social Influencing, as Fear Manipulation would allow the user to inflict fear regardless of these factors.

Characters with Fear Manipulation/Fear-inducing Aura:
The ones marked with * are those with Madness Manipulation as well.

Characters with Resistance to Fear Manipulation and Madness Manipulation
The problem with this is the fact that none of these characters have legitimate Fear Manipulation—as in, supernatural Fear Inducement—feats. At best, you could get Social Influencing, at worst, they are not even feats to begin, and the median would be a different ability entirely.

Let's take a look at these feats:
Orochimaru vs. Sasuke and Sakura
Sasuke, the functioning Genjutsu expert of the group, explicitly stated that Orochimaru was casting a Genjutsu on the two, inducing a realistic sensation of death into their bodies, which would be impossible with a simple feeling of fear. Orochimaru was affecting their senses, which is a hallmark characteristic of illusions. The Sha no Sho also gives Orochimaru the highest possible Genjutsu stat, adding credibility to Orochimaru being able to cast an illusion of this caliber. This being a Genjutsu is later further proven when Sasuke stabs himself in order to wake himself up, with Orochimaru literally stating that he broke out of the illusion. So, this is simply Illusion Creation.

Orochimaru and Kakashi
Same shit, different people; although, you could probably argue that this is actually Fear Manipulation since Orochimaru was not looking at him to initiate the Genjutsu, but then again: A.) you would have to prove that Orochimaru requires a visual lock to initiate his Genjutsu, and B.) Orochimaru was not inducing fear into Kakashi; Kakashi was just scared of Orochimaru. Social Influencing? Possibly, but Orochimaru was not causing Kakashi to feel fear.​

Zabuza vs. Team Kakashi
Sasuke alone being the only scared to death should already be enough evidence to disprove this being Fear Manipulation, but on top of that, Kakashi also pointed out that this was simply Sasuke's own reactions to the situation and not a feeling that Zabuza induced within him. He was scared because of the danger of death that Zabuza posed to them, especially after threatening their lives from within the impenetrable mist, and brought upon fear himself. Once Kakashi told him to calm down and assured him that he would protect the team, Sasuke was able to snap out of it and ease into the situation. This was not Fear Manipulation, nor Social Influencing. Sasuke was just naturally scared of death.

Tsunade and Orochimaru and Kabuto
Kabuto was not even scared in this situation, he was just making your typically "strong woman is dangerous" comment.

Tsunade and Shizune
Tsunade is Shizune's superior, both in terms of authority and in power. Shizune knows that she could not stop Tsunade no matter how hard she tried, and when Tsunade commanded that she buck down and scolded her for her bold approach, of course Shizune would be petrified. Shizune greatly respects Tsunade and cares for her deeply, but she is also aware that Tsunade could literally turn her into paste with a thought, so to see Tsunade in such a state would naturally put her into a state of alert and fear. Once again, this is not Fear Manipulation or Social Influencing, it is just a natural reaction from Shizune to her situation.

None of these are Fear Manipulation feats, so they should be removed from the pages mentioned.

Last edited:
The link showing evidence for the Orochimaru/Sasuke part doesn't work.

Anyway, I agree for now.

Ah yes, it is simply Sasuke being afraid of death. That is why he was going to kill himself.
"A master ninja, determined to make a kill... Knowing my life in his hands... I hate it! You start wanting to die, just to end the suspense."
The only reason Sasuke wanted to die was because Sasuke was anticipating his own death, knowing how capable Zabuza is of killing him and his team, and Zabuza was taking his sweet time, creeping up on them from within the mist and threatening them from a position that they could not reach. Zabuza could kill them all instantaneously, but he chose not to, and this feeling of unease is what droze Sasuke to thoughts of suicide, not Zabuza's menacing presence.

That is literally what suspense is. It is anxiety; Sasuke was anxious.

Sasuke alone being the only scared to death should already be enough evidence to disprove this being Fear Manipulation, but on top of that, Kakashi also pointed out that this was simply Sasuke's own reactions to the situation and not a feeling that Zabuza induced within him. He was scared because of the danger of death that Zabuza posed to them, especially after threatening their lives from within the impenetrable mist, and brought upon fear himself. Once Kakashi told him to calm down and assured him that he would protect the team, Sasuke was able to snap out of it and ease into the situation. This was not Fear Manipulation, nor Social Influencing. Sasuke was just naturally scared of death.
I agree 200% with this, in fact my reply to people arguing it is, is this;
I wouldn’t call this Fear Manipulation, or Madness Manipulation. It would be like a regular human being right next to a two full grown Grizzlies going blood thirsty on each other.
I understand Sasuke’s, “I can’t take it, I’d almost rather die now, and get it over with.” Statement also shouldn’t be taken as literal Fear Manipulation, he’s just as kid, in an elite level fight scared for his life.
Nobody is manipulating another’s fear, the extremely out of place Genin is just feeling appropriate fear for being right next to an Elite Jounin fight.

Kabuto was not even scared in this situation, he was just making your typically "strong woman is dangerous" comment.
Agree
Tsunade is Shizune's superior, both in terms of authority and in power. Shizune knows that she could not stop Tsunade no matter how hard she tried, and when Tsunade commanded that she buck down and scolded her for her bold approach, of course Shizune would be petrified. Shizune greatly respects Tsunade and cares for her deeply, but she is also aware that Tsunade could literally turn her into paste with a thought, so to see Tsunade in such a state would naturally put her into a state of alert and fear. Once again, this is not Fear Manipulation or Social Influencing, it is just a natural reaction from Shizune to her situation.
Agree

I mean, the official scan doesn’t even mention Sasuke wanting to kill himself sooo

Buuuut, on the opposite end I don’t see any sort of this resistance on Sasukes’ profile, sooooo.

Hard disagree with removing Fear Manipulation. For removing Madness Manipulation. You should've reviewed the CRT where the Fear Manipulation was accepted as there are plenty more evidence.

The fear inducement is supernatural. Let's go through it:

Sasuke was afraid because he felt bloodlust (in an other translation, dangerous Ki) to the point that it made him want to kill himself. That is supernatural. Yes, the others are more resistant to it, and Sasuke grew to be more resistant, but this doesn't disprove the feat.
0012-013.png

Later as an Edo-Tensei in the War Arc, everyone was stunned by Zabuza's bloodlust aura and could feel it (it is so famous that people who never met Zabuza know about it).
0521-016.png
0522-002.png
0522-003.png

Kakashi was huffing and puffing, moments after he activated his Chidori to slam it into Orochimaru. Clearly fear inducement.
0070-003.png

Sasuke was also able to stun both Suigetsu and Jugo, and this was attributed to Sasuke's killing intent.
0351-012.png
0351-013.png
0351-014.png

Tobirama, Hashirama, and Orochimaru also flexed their killing intent. (Like with Hashirama vs Hiruzen, the aura can also crack the walls)
0620-003.png
0620-004.png
0620-005.png

Hard disagree with removing Fear Manipulation. For removing Madness Manipulation. You should've reviewed the CRT where the Fear Manipulation was accepted as there are plenty more evidence.

The fear inducement is supernatural. Let's go through it:

Sasuke was afraid because he felt bloodlust (in an other translation, dangerous Ki) to the point that it made him want to kill himself. That is supernatural. Yes, the others are more resistant to it, and Sasuke grew to be more resistant, but this doesn't disprove the feat.
0012-013.png

Later as an Edo-Tensei in the War Arc, everyone was stunned by Zabuza's bloodlust aura and could feel it (it is so famous that people who never met Zabuza know about it).
0521-016.png
0522-002.png
0522-003.png

Kakashi was huffing and puffing, moments after he activated his Chidori to slam it into Orochimaru. Clearly fear inducement.
0070-003.png

Sasuke was also able to stun both Suigetsu and Jugo, and this was attributed to Sasuke's killing intent.
0351-012.png
0351-013.png
0351-014.png

Tobirama, Hashirama, and Orochimaru also flexed their killing intent. (Like with Hashirama vs Hiruzen, the aura can also crack the walls)
0620-003.png
0620-004.png
0620-005.png
i agree

Hard disagree with removing Fear Manipulation.
I am not removing Fear Manipulation from the entire verse, so your example of Sasuke fear haxing Suigetsu and Jugo means nothing to me.

Yes, the elderly man and early Sakura are most resistant to Fear Manipulation than Sasuke. I believe it.

Jokes aside, where did the idea that "Zabuza made Sasuke want to kill himself" come from? The only thing Sasuke said was that suffering through this kind of suspense would make one want to die already to get it over with. Nothing in that statement suggests that Sasuke was on the verge of suicide because of Zabuza's aura or some shit; he was a scared little kid, and so were the rest of his team see, your "the other were more resistant" argument is coming back.

I literally explained what this was.
Zabuza vs. Team Kakashi
Sasuke alone being [shown to be] the only scared to [this point] should already be enough evidence to disprove this being Fear Manipulation, but on top of that, Kakashi also pointed out that this was simply Sasuke's own reactions to the situation and not a feeling that Zabuza induced within him. He was scared because of the danger of death that Zabuza posed to them, especially after threatening their lives from within the impenetrable mist, and brought upon fear himself. Once Kakashi told him to calm down and assured him that he would protect the team, Sasuke was able to snap out of it and ease into the situation. This was not Fear Manipulation, nor Social Influencing. Sasuke was just naturally scared of death.
"A master ninja, determined to make a kill... Knowing my life in his hands... I hate it! You start wanting to die, just to end the suspense."
The only reason Sasuke wanted to die was because Sasuke was anticipating his own death, knowing how capable Zabuza is of killing him and his team, and Zabuza was taking his sweet time, creeping up on them from within the mist and threatening them from a position that they could not reach. Zabuza could kill them all instantaneously, but he chose not to, and this feeling of unease is what droze Sasuke to thoughts of suicide, not Zabuza's menacing presence.

That is literally what suspense is. It is anxiety; Sasuke was anxious.

i would argue this point, but it seems you did it for me.

The shinobi were stunned, yes, but not because Zabuza's aura induced fear into them; it was because they had just become aware of who he was. They recognized Zabuza through his demonic aura—something that was not present during his confrontation with Team Kakashi, so you cannot correlate the two scenarios to each other—and jumped back because they were knew of his reputation and what kind of an entity he was—a demon. They were not terrified by Zabuza's aura, nor did his aura induce fear into them; they are on edge because they had just realized what exactly they were up against, along with Haku. As a matter of fact, the only shinobi who actually reacted to his aura outside of a, "Huh", "Is that who I think it is", or a "Is that him", were the ones on the frontlines (Kakashi, Sakura, Might Guy, Rock Lee, etc.) who leapt out of harm's way, but not even they were fearful, just cautious.

That was also not bloodlust. If you actually read the chapter beyond the second page (literally), you would see that they are not bloodlusted. They are actually pretty calm and still in-control enough to hold a conversation with Kakashi, reminiscent over the past, and shred a few tears.

And, before you argue this; they were not supernaturally filled with fear by his aura, they are frightened by the sight of his aura. He was clearly bloodlusted from the get-go, but the only one who was terrified before he popped the big ol' creep aura was Gato. And this was a natural response to watching the man with no functioning arms slaughter half of your group and then decapitate with your boss with a knife between his teeth. These are not examples of Fear Manipulation at all; these are people being scared of things they know can kill them. What's next? Do we give real life animals Fear Manipulation because people are scared of them?

this was literally just kakashi being scared. nothing suggests that this was orochimaru's doing. kakashi literally acknowledged the fact that this was in his head ("Did I miscalculate?! What kind of fool am I?!"). in case you didn't know, fear manipulation is where a character literally manipulates fear, y'know to typically scare their opponents, through means of not just intimidation...

For example, this, these two, and a whole lot of these are all Fear Manipulation.

"Don't rile up your Chakra".
This is not one of them.

These characters do not have palpable bloodlusts so thick that they can affect the world around them.
You wanna know what that is? Do ya? Do ya?
it's chakra.

Allow me to take us back to a point mentioned in the OP.

It should be noted simply terrorizing the opponent either by authority, strength or demeanour only would qualify as Social Influencing, as Fear Manipulation would allow the user to inflict fear regardless of these factors.

Reactions: Rez
I am not removing Fear Manipulation from the entire verse, so your example of Sasuke fear haxing Suigetsu and Jugo means nothing to me.
It means consistency that people who use killing intent, such as Zabuza and Orochimaru, can induce fear.

Yes, the elderly man and early Sakura are most resistant to Fear Manipulation than Sasuke. I believe it.

Jokes aside, where did the idea that "Zabuza made Sasuke want to kill himself" come from? The only thing Sasuke said was that suffering through this kind of suspense would make one want to die already to get it over with. Nothing in that statement suggests that Sasuke was on the verge of suicide because of Zabuza's aura or some shit; he was a scared little kid, and so were the rest of his team see, your "the other were more resistant" argument is coming back.
Sasuke won the sweating competition; that is how you know Itachi is best brother.

Because Sasuke's (and Naruto's and Sakura's and Tazuna's) predicament has been attributed to Zabuza's killing intent.
tumblr_pmualkWHNP1u4v6k6o7_1280.jpg

Yes, it is currently assumed that most people would quickly switch to being scared little kids when exposed to Zabuza's aura.
0032-013.png
0032-014.png

The shinobi were stunned, yes, but not because Zabuza's aura induced fear into them; it was because they had just become aware of who he was. They recognized Zabuza through his demonic aura—something that was not present during his confrontation with Team Kakashi, so you cannot correlate the two scenarios to each other—and jumped back because they were knew of his reputation and what kind of an entity he was—a demon. They were not terrified by Zabuza's aura, nor did his aura induce fear into them; they are on edge because they had just realized what exactly they were up against, along with Haku. As a matter of fact, the only shinobi who actually reacted to his aura outside of a, "Huh", "Is that who I think it is", or a "Is that him", were the ones on the frontlines (Kakashi, Sakura, Might Guy, Rock Lee, etc.) who leapt out of harm's way, but not even they were fearful, just cautious.
So you acknowledge that Zabuza's does supernatural aura stuff, which others can feel. What does this aura do exactly, especially to civilians and low-level Shinobi? Until we have a Caution Inducement and Apprehension Inducement pages, I guess Fear Manipulation will do.

It is acknowledged in the previous thread that Jonin and such likely have resistance to Fear Manipulation due to this scene.

this was literally just kakashi being scared. nothing suggests that this was orochimaru's doing. kakashi literally acknowledged the fact that this was in his head ("Did I miscalculate?! What kind of fool am I?!"). in case you didn't know, fear manipulation is where a character literally manipulates fear, y'know to typically scare their opponents, through means of not just intimidation...
I guess Sasuke and Sakura suddenly getting visions of their death during combat has nothing to do with Orochimaru. Is this something common with Kakashi by the way while he is using Chidori/Raikiri? Does he suddenly freeze up and get illusions of his death?

Yes, Kakashi didn't die out of his head.

By the way, the unofficial translation differs from the official translation.
tumblr_pmualkWHNP1u4v6k6o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_pmualkWHNP1u4v6k6o2_1280.jpg
tumblr_pmualkWHNP1u4v6k6o3_1280.jpg

So yeah, it is ambiguous statements from early VIZ translation vs explicit statements from fan translation.

"Don't rile up your Chakra".
This is not one of them.

These characters do not have palpable bloodlusts so thick that they can affect the world around them.
You wanna know what that is? Do ya? Do ya?
it's chakra.
A-Are you saying that Chakra can be used to cause Fear Manipulation? Also you are the one making claims about whether bloodlust is connected or disconnected with Chakra.

We have characters with loads of Chakra, but they don't cause this semi-passive effect on others or create auras.

Actually, a couple of characters would get Social Influencing out of this.
Along with that, Orochimaru's Illusion Creation should get some justifications.
Of course, there are probably far more characters with Naruto with Social Influencing for being intimidating and whatnot, but these are the ones that have been brought up to my immediate attention, and the others will have to wait for the near future, because it took me an entire week to read Naruto.

Reactions: Rez
Actually, a couple of characters would get Social Influencing out of this.
Along with that, Orochimaru's Illusion Creation should get some justifications.
Of course, there are probably far more characters with Naruto with Social Influencing for being intimidating and whatnot, but these are the ones that have been brought up to my immediate attention, and the others will have to wait for the near future, because it took me an entire week to read Naruto.
Amazing!

I thought social influencing was less about radiating supernatural aura that normally causes others to be terrified, and more about social interaction. This is an extremely loose interpretion of social influencing; on what basis shouldn't it be classified as Fear Manipulation?

Also the fact that the fan translation says that Orochimaru did not create illusions, and only radiated killing intent remains unaddressed.

Also the fact that the fan translation says that Orochimaru did not create illusions, and only radiated killing intent remains unaddressed.
It being a fan translation addresses that itself, official translation > fan translation unless you actually obtain the raws and get them translated by someone here.

I thought social influencing was less about radiating supernatural aura that normally causes others to be terrified, and more about social interaction. This is an extremely loose interpretion of social influencing; on what basis shouldn't it be classified as Fear Manipulation?
On the basis that it is not manipulating fear, just intimidating others.

It being a fan translation addresses that itself, official translation > fan translation unless you actually obtain the raws and get them translated by someone here.
Thank you for convincing me that official translations are automatically better.

Made a translation request, though Qliphoth's computer needs to get fixed so we might wait a while.
In the means time I used three machine translations APIs:

幻術

うおえつ
イヤ
これは
ただの殺気だ
何てことだ
奴の目を見ただけで
死をイメ「ジさせられた

何者だ
コイツ

ぐつ
恐怖を痛みて消し去るためにとっさに自分の体を傷つけるとはね
Magic

Uoe
Hate
This is
It's just a killing.
What a thing.
Just look him in the eye.
I was made to die
No.
Who the other one is?
Koitz

Googu
You hurt your body quickly to erase your fear in pain.
幻術
うおえつ
これは
ただの殺気だ
何てことだ
奴の目を見ただけで
死をイメ「ジさせられた

何者だ
コイツ

恐怖を痛みて消し去るためにとっさに自分の体を傷つけるとはね
Illusion
Uoetsu
this is
It's just murder
Oh my God
Just looking at his eyes
I was made to die
Na
Who are you
This guy

It ’s not like you hurt yourself to hurt your fear and get rid of it.
-Art

oh my god

hey, hey, hey, hey,

hey, no

no, no. This is
it's just killing.

oh, my god, i
just looked him in the eye
i was made to image death, what
is it?

oh, my god

i didn't know that you would hurt your own body in order to pain and erase fear.

This is more consistent with the fan translation where Sasuke tells us that it is not a Genjutsu but just killing intent. Furthermore the official translation inserts the word 'illusion' at the end when it doesn't seem to exist, suggesting that the official translation is willing to take liberties with the meaning.

On the basis that it is not manipulating fear, just intimidating others.
As defined by the wiki:
Fear Manipulation, otherwise known as Fear Inducement is the ability in which to inflict a level of "fear" on the target using supernatural means.

When murderous mercenaries are mocking Zabuza for being injured and weakened to the point where he can't use his arms, and then Zabuza releases his supernatural aura, causing them to immediately be afraid. This is called supernatural fear inducement.

Also, how you found that raw is beyond me, because I took some pics from the Coloured Edition and carefully extracted it with Google Translate, and this looks nothing like what you have gotten. I don't know what's up.
Sasuke: 幻術 … ?
イヤ……… これはただの殺気だ … 何てことだめ奴の目を見ただけでも … 死をイメージさせられた …… !!
な …… 何者だ … コイツ … !!

Orochimaru: 恐怖を痛ので 消し去るためにとつさに自分の体を傷つけるとはね …
フフ …… やっぱり ただの 獲物 じゃ ない わ ね …

That's a little sus

But he most likely used some image to translator type thing which incorrectly read the raws, I say this because even in the extracts he posted above, all three are different to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back