• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regenerationn vs Healing, Resurrection & Body Control

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The purpose of this thread is to propose adding the same types we have in our Regenerationn page to the abilities mentioned in the title, with something different on the last power but we get into that later. Here are the reasons.

For Healing

So this should be the most self-explanatory, I've even seen threads where this was proposed and accepted but then no one kept commenting on them. Basically this would give a more precise indication of the degree of the Healing, and it would also prevent users for giving Regen to characters with Self-Healing, which would obviously have to be used manually. One example of a profile that does this is MCU Thanos, a very popular character.

For Resurrection

This would give a more precise indication of the degree of the healing or Regen used in the Resurrection. Some users think that a character with Resurrection can just, well, resurrect out of getting one-shotted by a character with a higher tier or AP, with this proposal it will be more easy so see if this is really the case or not.

Additionally, there are cases were a character's Regen only triggers when dead, which would be reflected better if indicated. One example of a profile that handles this well is Kirby, and one of a profile that should need a rewrite is Axl Ro. Both of which having that elaborated by me.

For Body Control

This one's tricky. Sometimes Body Control can give a character regen, however, on some of those cases the characters don't get harmed by a foe and then get their bodies altered by that, but instead they themselves alter their bodies. We sometimes allow this as regen and some times don't, this is due to the fact that the characters could have known the capabilities of their bodies and they were specifically doing things not harmful for themselves. In those cases this would also mean that the characters can't heal from something it would require a lower level of Regen than the one they were supposedly having.

However, this has some problems. The latter thing about "can't heal from something it would require a lower level of Regen" is something that can happen with characters with legit regen (especially around Mid Regen). And specifically have their bodies altered in non-harmful ways is something that could happen in combat, with that being something that gives most characters Regen.

So, what I propose is that we use the same types we use for Regen on Body Control, but that we specify that this is not necessarily Regen and that that depends on the feats and context.

To give an example, imagine a character who can remove his own head and put it where it belongs only due to using its own powers on himself, and wouldn't survive getting beheaded in the middle of combat, if taken by surprise at least. This proposal would help clarify the context of its situation.

Well I don't really think it's really that necessary to divide the resurrection/healing in categories like the Regenerationn page. A really easy fix or a solution for this would be for example "Healing (Can heal severe organ damage and lost limbs)" just adding an explanation of how powerful the heal or how specifically the resurrection works.

And about the body control do you mean something like Buggy the Clow?

Nothing would stop anyone to do that anyway, nobody has a problem with any profile that elaborates well on their content. I'm just trying to encourage that, also several profiles with Healing already do this, so there is that.

I guess so, another example would be Jolyne Cujoh, in combat she is soon to have High-Low regen via recreating her arm, but then she can also do this sh*t which, is 100% body control, but could potentially be use in combat as well, in some scenarios.

I mean, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to copy/pasting the regen categories and putting them in healing, reworded and up to High of course. But at the same time I don't think it's necessary.

And what Jolyne can do is much more similar to logia intangibility which we consider regen, rather than someone just being able to separate their own head. Those two are pretty different and I wouldn't give regen to the latter's case.

I'm yet to see any reason why tho. How would it not be necessary with everthing explained above? Even with something as simple as "several profiles with Healing already do this", just not doing anything seems pointless, new users would need to know the regen types to know what level of healing that means.

Well "several profiles doing this" is pretty irrelevant. And healing a good portion of the time in fiction caps out at like High-Low, and anything that's above this and is actually significant should be, and is, specified.

And a new user wouldn't be confused because either healing won't have categories or it will have categories and they would be explained on the page.

I see profiles like that extremely often, so it's not.

Ogbunabali said:
and anything that's above this and is actually significant should be, and is, specified.
In practice it's not. Once more, nobody has a problem with any profile that elaborates well on their content.

I don't get what that last part aims to mean.

I really doubt there's even 10% of the profiles that have healing specified in regen terms.

It's the same result either way. In both cases it would need either need to be updated in regen terms or with an explanation.

You said a new user would be confused, which isn't true because either Healing uses the regen categories or it doesn't. And if it does they would be explained on the page.

I don't really see the point of continuing to argue, so I'm just going to wait for more opinions here.

We had perfect examples of that in the MK thread. Geras' rejected Low-High regen via coming back from sand would indicate his body control but it would not be regen at all. And something as powerful as Raiden coming back from complete body destruction still activates in death and as resurrection but isn't regen that he can use normally.

So I reread the OP again and here's what I'm going to say

I think putting a note like "a regen feat done by a character upon death isn't really regen but rez" for the resurrection page is fine plus we may need to add different kinds of resurrection like reincarnation since rez works differently throughout fiction

I will comment about body control regen like beheading yourself and intangibility soon enough

Back