• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Off-Site Powers and "Absolute" Powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
The Issue

So I noticed something about some files. While I do not like singling files out. Yog is what basically brought this to my attention.

So if you notice, we have multiple powers listed with terms such as "Absolute Attack", "Absolute Destruction" and "Absolute Authority".

Why is this an issue? Well 2 of those 3 abilities are not even from our site. And thus what I must ask is do we begin allowing said powers to be allowed here?

Another thing is, these "Absolute" powers sound very NLF. I can understand for a High 1-A or Tier 0. but For 1-A and below, that should not be allowed.

What is the solution?
To summarize.

Off site moves shouldn't really be allowed here. Instead, we should just work on expanding the Powers and Abilities pages here.

Absolute Powers should be reserved for High 1-A and Tier 0's only. These are very NLF even for 1-A standards.

Absolute anything is obviously bullshit and shouldn't be used.

Offsite abilities on their own are fine but yes, we should prioritize expanding our own pages.

Aye if that is the ruling, then Yog's Powers&Abilities will have the absolute stuff removed.

Which brings me to another point, Meta is kind of like Absolute, should those be be not used as well?

I feel like linking off-site abilities should only be done in cases where there's really no comparison with pages that exist here, so it's more of a "last resort".

As for Absolute Powers... yeah, that's an obvious one.

@Dragon

The Superpower wiki has a branch of abilities called "Meta Powers", which is basically standard abilities on steroids.

My favorite example is Meta Combat, which is where a character can literally "defeat" abstract concepts through simple combat (Which could do things like letting them teleport by defeating space).

While i do agree that the powers and abilities section of the wiki should be expanded, i don't see any problem in using off-site powers from Superpower Wiki, especially in cases where a character has a certain ability that... simply doesn't fit with any of the powers or abilities listed in this wiki

I do agree with the "Absolute" powers thingy, though

In my general case, for the verse I'm currently making, I do take abilities from the Superpower wiki, but describe them in my own way to ensure it still fits realistic guidelines (For instance, I use "Absolute Illusion" to refer to the villains' ability to create completely accurate simulations of entire universes, or "Absolute Slicing" to refer to a sword that can cut through abstract concepts, but not destroy them).

Would that, comparatively, be okay?

I strongly disagree, because so many profiles have done this. Banning this outright is a terrible idea. Now, I'm not normally so blunt, but I'll make an exception for this. After all, every verse is different. There's nothing wrong with those powers, but maybe we could add a limit to how many characters in one verse can use them, instead of just banning them.

The Everlasting said:
In my general case, for the verse I'm currently making, I do take abilities from the Superpower wiki, but describe them in my own way to ensure it still fits realistic guidelines (For instance, I use "Absolute Illusion" to refer to the villains' ability to create completely accurate simulations of entire universes, or "Absolute Slicing" to refer to a sword that can cut through abstract concepts, but not destroy them).
Would that, comparatively, be okay?
I think just explaining it after "Illusion Creation" would work. But at the same time. Those examples do kinda work. Although just listing "Can cut abstracts" can also work as well.

ExerciseDancefloors said:
I strongly disagree, because so many profiles have done this. Banning this outright is a terrible idea. Now, I'm not normally so blunt, but I'll make an exception for this. After all, every verse is different. There's nothing wrong with those powers, but maybe we could add a limit to how many characters in one verse can use them, instead of just banning them.
Sorry, but no. These "Absolute" powers are very NLF unless the character is High 1-A or Tier 0. As such any 1-A or below are banned from using them. Every verse being different means nothing. When transferred here they have to appeal to our guidelines. Especially when it comes to pure NLF stuff like this.

I personally agree with Dragon on this. Off-site powers are fine if we have no alternative, but at the same time, users are free to make their power pages regardless (unless they're NLF nonsense). Though, not everyone may have the time for that.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
ExerciseDancefloors said:
Sorry, but no. These "Absolute" powers are very NLF unless the character is High 1-A or Tier 0. As such any 1-A or below are banned from using them. Every verse being different means nothing. When transferred here they have to appeal to our guidelines. Especially when it comes to pure NLF stuff like this.

What about absolute powers that only apply to a specific realm which a character controls?

Do what the regular site does. Just give them the regular rating of the power. For example, Algol from SoulCalibur has complete control over Astral Chaos. He only has high level RW when in Astral Chaos. However, when it comes to a specific realm, someone with higher levels of said abilities can still overpower them.

Off-topic here but yes Dragon, we have our own Discord. Been up for like...months now. Well 3-4 give or take but yes, we've one for a little or so while now.

I fully agree given my constant exposure to potential NLF examples back at VS Battle Wiki.

I looking at you, SCP-682 and Reactive Revolution. Sames goes with Yhwach

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I think just explaining it after "Illusion Creation" would work. But at the same time. Those examples do kinda work. Although just listing "Can cut abstracts" can also work as well.
What I meant was not directly linking the powers, but still describing them in a way that resembles said powers (While fitting our guidelines, of course).

Darkanine said:
I personally agree with Dragon on this. Off-site powers are fine if we have no alternative, but at the same time, users are free to make their power pages regardless (unless they're NLF nonsense). Though, not everyone may have the time for that.
Yeah I'm with Dark here. Maybe if you wanted to list a power from the Powerlisting Wiki you could ask if you could use it or not. Like let's just say I wanted to add this power to Exterminatore's profile (Not that I plan on doing.) I could ask a staff if it should be allowed or not. Or The Everlasting's could work too. Meh, either way.

Hmmmm the part of "can cut abstracts" sound like a form of durability negation and I thinking somewhere around the line of conceptual manipulation, but that is just me I think.

I'm with Ultima Reality, Absolute Powers shouldn't since they're technically NLF. But i don't see problem to link every else from Superpower Wiki.

1.with the whole "absolute" powers stuff yes it is very NLF, but how i see it, it is more on context and how the story is, not literally meaning absolute.

2. I don't think we should not allow off site powers, but I agree that we should expand our owns. That being said, is there anyone that can expand our powers & abilities page(s)? if there is not, then why not make a team that focuses on expanding it. i mean it would be way more easier and faster if we have multiple people instead of 1 or 2 working on it.

1) But that is the literal definition of said rating. Just give them the normal P & A name. That's all that's needed and just simply expand on it. Context or not, it is still a NLF ability that could simply just be the normal power with detail explaining ho powerful it is.

2) It depends on whether Cross or Prom actually want to do that however.

1. an example of what i mean is merlin's (NNT) absolute cancel, it's called like that cause there is virtually anything it can't cancel (though there is one thing shown that she couldn't cancel) in its own story, that doesn't mean its absolute in all of fiction, just in the context of the plot of that verse. it's not absolute, its mearly the final form or the "Meta" form of the ability.

2. Ok

1) That's simply Power Nullification. Nothing special. That's also the name of the attack. Not the power rating overall.

what i mean't is that in context there is nothing/almost nothing she can't cancel/Nullify, which would mean its (by context) absolute. btw i know its the name and what it is i just used it as an example to show that absolute doesn't necesarly mean its really absolute, just a name.

Not to mention Power Nullification is still prone to NLF depending on whatever not they restrict (as in preventing powers, but not outright nullify) them or they do nullify.

AnonymouXOtakuX said:
what i mean't is that in context there is nothing/almost nothing she can't cancel/Nullify, which would mean its (by context) absolute. btw i know its the name and what it is i just used it as an example to show that absolute doesn't necesarly mean its really absolute, just a name.
I am going by the actual vs terms for said powers. That was not a good example.

@Anony I agree with Dragon on this as that is still a extreme NLF as it is a case by case basic for power nullification users. Even PN (Power Nullification) in video games can be prone to NLF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back