• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

References for Common Feats Re-organization

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
Problem: It's really difficult to fix issues with calcs on the References for Common Feats page, since one can't distinguish pages that link to one calc from pages that link to another. Troubles resulting from this can be found here and here.

Proposed Solution: Rather than having the calcs listed inline on the same page, hidden under collapsibles, we should instead have them under sub-pages, which are linked to from the main page, without any individualised calc sections on the main page to force people to link the appropriate sub-page. So, instead of [[References for Common Feats#Escape velocity of Earth]], one would link [[References for Common Feats/Escape velocity of Earth]].

Due to this only requiring one character to be changed in a pattern that is easily-identifiable, I think this would be very practical to apply through the use of a mass-editing tool.

@Antvasima @IdiosyncraticLawyer Thoughts?

I would agree but I think it'd be better to use blogs rather than sub-pages, they are after all where calcs are typically put.

Eh, putting them on actual pages makes the transfer process simpler, and ultimately leaves the pages more easily changeable by others.

Yes, if this is accepted, we should definitely use official regular pages rather than blog posts in this case.

I'm fine with the change, the whether they become sub-pages or blogs I'm not sure, whatever's easiest, I guess.

(i figure this goes without saying but just for the sake of being said explicitly)
sure, on locked pages, so they can't be changed or edited without a content mod or higher's assistance

This sounds like it'd be a lot of work to apply, but if it can be done, it should

I could spend a day to convert the calcs into sub-pages, but I'm not confident in my bot script-writing abilities to do the link conversion. Would anyone else be able to help with that?

I could spend a day to convert the calcs into sub-pages, but I'm not confident in my bot script-writing abilities to do the link conversion. Would anyone else be able to help with that?
I suppose that you mean updating all of the links to the standard feats, and am afraid that I think it would likely have to be done manually in order to get it right, so it would require A LOT of unnecessary work, which is the big downside to your suggestion, and I do not personally think that it is hard for the visitors who click on a references for standard feats page link to spend 15 seconds finding the specific standard feat that they are looking for.

I suppose that you mean updating all of the links to the standard feats, and am afraid that I think it would likely have to be done manually in order to get it right, so it would require A LOT of unnecessary work
Damn really? I thought, if we chose correct names, it would only involve changing one character in pretty easily-identifiable link patterns. Especially after Idiosyncratic's sweep to properly format internal links.
and I do not personally think that it is hard for the visitors who click on a references for standard feats page link to spend 15 seconds finding the specific standard feat that they are looking for.
That's not the reason for this revision; I'm suggesting it because it is extraordinarily difficult to revise these feats as-is, since we can't properly track which pages use them and will need to be updated (we essentially need to check every page which links any calc in the list). When we first created that page, I hoped our thorough vetting process for these calcs would render updates unnecessary, but after seeing multiple need large changes, I think a longer-term plan is justified.

Damn really? I thought, if we chose correct names, it would only involve changing one character in pretty easily-identifiable link patterns. Especially after Idiosyncratic's sweep to properly format internal links.
As far as I am aware, we would need to go through all VSBW pages that link to our current page, and update each the links to turn more specific.
That's not the reason for this revision; I'm suggesting it because it is extraordinarily difficult to revise these feats as-is, since we can't properly track which pages use them and will need to be updated (we essentially need to check every page which links any calc in the list). When we first created that page, I hoped our thorough vetting process for these calcs would render updates unnecessary, but after seeing multiple need large changes, I think a longer-term plan is justified.
Ah. That is a genuine potential problem, yes, but splitting our main page into different parts/sections will likely not significantly lessen it, unless we use one separate sub-page for every single standard feat.

Ah. That is a genuine potential problem, yes, but splitting our main page into different parts/sections will likely not significantly lessen it, unless we use one separate sub-page for every single standard feat.
I believe that is exactly what is being proposed, yes.

[...]

Proposed Solution: Rather than having the calcs listed inline on the same page, hidden under collapsibles, we should instead have them under sub-pages, which are linked to from the main page, without any individualised calc sections on the main page to force people to link the appropriate sub-page. So, instead of [[References for Common Feats#Escape velocity of Earth]], one would link [[References for Common Feats/Escape velocity of Earth]].

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, we would need to go through all VSBW pages that link to our current page, and update each the links to turn more specific.
I think it should be easier. I plan to put each calc on its own sub-page, and so the links would simply need to be changed from [[References for Common Feats#Escape velocity of Earth]], one would link [[References for Common Feats/Escape velocity of Earth]], which I think is quite a simple task for the bots.

I think the only annoying part would be the upfront difficulty of copying those calcs to pages, and changing the text of the main page to link to them. But I think that hurdle's manageable.

Back