• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about the pinnacle of combat skill. I wasn't talking about strength or hax in general.

Anyway imo stuff that's been done exclusive by martial artist or swordsmans shouldn't scale to each, cause they just physically can't, Garfiel doesn't use a sword so he can't cut someone like Julius, Wilhelm doesn't do martial arts so he can't copy like Ram.

However other stuff which we see everyone doing ie analytical prediction, instinctive action etc should scale cause they all use the flow method.

Yeah like with instinctive reaction it just seems like the mana boosts your body beyond the level of conscious thought, decision making and action happen simultaneously and instantaneously.

I can agree to differences in fighting style causing scaling to be case-by-case, as well as power mimicry being case-by-case, since Ram was copying wind magic (her specialty) and Marcos is a "child of war" that can readily absorb techniques, so idk who would scale other than Reinhard and Reid.

I was talking about the pinnacle of combat skill. I wasn't talking about strength or hax in general.
You said that anything else would be pointless though. I can agree that the heavenly sword is the peak of skill but that's as far as I can agree with what you said. It's not like picking up skills in anything else would be pointless.
Anyway imo stuff that's been done exclusive by martial artist or swordsmans shouldn't scale to each, cause they just physically can't, Garfiel doesn't use a sword so he can't cut someone like Julius, Wilhelm doesn't do martial arts so he can't copy like Ram.

However other stuff which we see everyone doing ie analytical prediction, instinctive action etc should scale cause they all use the flow method.
Yup, I can agree. Like I said, the only exceptions should be accelerated development and power mimicry that are entirely talent based.

I can agree to differences in fighting style causing scaling to be case-by-case, as well as power mimicry being case-by-case, since Ram was copying wind magic (her specialty) and Marcos is a "child of war" that can readily absorb techniques, so idk who would scale other than Reinhard and Reid.
Ram, Reid, Reinhard, Garfiel, and Cecilus are the only physical fighters more talented than Marcos. Cecilus is debatable anyway. I'm not sure if we should scale them to power mimicry or not. For now at the least I'd be inclined to say no.

@Zabazab Mind posting which chapters you got those flow method quotes from? Think it will be useful for the blog.

I will also rework it based on what's been said here, ie i think power mimicry and accelerated development should be removed from it since it doesn't scale to everyone, and then from there, i guess create a new thread with all the changes like removing accelerated development, adding analytical prediction etc, and get some staff to accept that.

Mind posting which chapters you got those flow method quotes from? Think it will be useful for the blog.

“Sometimes it’s faster to just swoop in and hit them than to use magic, right?” And, while this not-Spiritual Arts User-like statement was one that ought not be espoused by one such person, the gist of the general attitude towards magic in the Vollachian Empire was more-or-less that.

Though it was a highly misunderstood fact, the kind that had gone unwritten in any books at that, the use of Mana in the human body was not only limited to casting magic.

No small number of martial arts techniques had their foundation in the use of Mana, in the same way it was used in Spirit Arts, Curse Arts, and in the activation of some Meteors.
It was perfectly natural for an elite warrior, especially, to use Mana to strengthen his own body.

Supposing an occasion where one possessing unnatural physical abilities were to be compared to an ordinary person, the trick would lay in the handling of the Mana that circulated within the body――a technique called the Flow Method, which was done consciously.

However――

“Cha-cha-cha-cha!”

With a thump, only one foot touched the ground, and in an instant the distance closed by a dozen meters.

Tracking the figure, from the perspective of a bystander, would seem as if time had been stolen, given its extraordinary body movements. But that was no optical illusion, nor was there present an anomaly in said bystander’s eyes.

The anomaly was none other than the blue-haired boy running through the battlefield.

Following the explanation given immediately before, the boy’s sprinting, which effortlessly transcended human limitations, was without a doubt brought about by the Flow Method. However, there was no caveat to the boy’s young age and sharp good looks; no record of the days spent learning such techniques was present, apparently.

In the world, beings of the sort were seldom seen―― Beings who were born unknowingly exercising the Flow Method, which was even said to be the pinnacle of martial arts, beings that left those shackled by the natural order in the dust. - Arc 7 Chapter 98
Even the Witch Echidna, who systematized all of magic, had given it a provisional name, leaving it as an ancient “fantasy”. A technique that could not be reproduced by an individual.

Magical Shroud Excitation was a way of forcibly manifesting the Flow Method, utilizing the Mana circulating within the body to strengthen it, and inducing an effect similar to that of Yang Magic, despite the different approach.

Superhuman force was a term sometimes used to describe the breaking of one’s own physical limits when facing a dangerous situation, producing strength incomparable with one’s original condition.

That was acknowledged as a thing that actually existed, in this world.

In a situation of mental or physical urgency, Gates present in one’s body, which would normally go unused, could be opened, resulting in the person entering the same state as those able to execute the Flow Method.

It was possible that those with superior abilities had been able to teach themselves how to use the Flow Method through an experience of the sort; but for now, further explanation will be omitted as it is beside the main point. - Arc 7 Chapter 99
The ice sword had been created by Emilia. Therefore, Emilia would not feel the cold, but it might be too cold for Cecilus, who had not created them.

“Come to think of it, Priscilla never said it was cold either, but…”

“Rest assured. I can make up for this inconvenience with the Flow Method, so both myself and the people in the Battalion are fine. Well, I tend to get out of my flow when the Boss and the others are involved, but it’s a fact that I’m especially special for handling it naturally!” - Arc 7 Chapter 104

I also forgot Gaston uses flow method, so it's been a thing since arc 5.

“Watch ou— Gh!”

“Sorry!”

The large man stretched his arms, intercepting both the attack aimed at him and the one aimed at the white cloak with his body. There was a hard sound as his body reduced the force of the swords, but the next moment, the big man crouched down, coughing up blood.

“Gaston!”

Otto’s eyes widened, but next to him, Beatrice grasped what had happened to Gaston.

—It was the limit of mana flow, a fighting technique that cycled the magical energy inside the user’s body.

Manipulating the flow of mana was a discipline that used mana in a very different way. Unlike magic, no natural talent was required in order to use it. It needed only terribly intense training.

From the look of things, Gaston’s natural abilities were well within the realm of the average person. Because of that, she could tell in an instant that he had worked hard to obtain his ability. What allowed him to stand on the same field and fight there was an accumulation of time spent training that would leave anyone coughing up blood.

“But that’s the limit!”-Volume 20, Chapter 1

Again as seen here, an average person with intense training can get pretty far, though i would note Gaston was trained by Reinhard who has a blessing that lets his students become successful, but anyway with enough training you could get to the point of being able to tank attacks from people like Ley, but even then, it has a time limit, meanwhile everyone relevant pulls off their superhuman feats with no apparent time limit, cause they obviously got talent.

I will work on the blog tomorrow.

Again as seen here, an average person with intense training can get pretty far, though i would note Gaston was trained by Reinhard who has a blessing that lets his students become successful, but anyway with enough training you could get to the point of being able to tank attacks from people like Ley, but even then, it has a time limit, meanwhile everyone relevant pulls off their superhuman feats with no apparent time limit, cause they obviously got talent.
Well, Ley is obviously holding back in that fight but yeah Gaston is moderately strong.

These exact lines are also in the LN which is nice.

Arc 7 is also pretty good for not changing much at all for the adaptation of WN to LN. It's nearly 1 to 1.

The only changes I remember are removing some Clind flashbacks from early arc 7, and adding a scene in "I Know". Very helpful for quoting.

Good question, wonder what you guys think cuz I don’t think he has one, he should already be at his full potential and the pinnacle of swordsmanship

Hard to say- Wilhelm had also reached his peak, but then suddenly somehow got far faster when faced with death, which was a feat that was compared to taking a step on the stairway to Reid's level.

I think we should tàke into consideration the fact that he can give a lot of trouble to Reinhard and Reinhard does in fact have multiple forms of AD which would mean that you would need something atleast somewhat comparable AD to deal with him.

I think we should tàke into consideration the fact that he can give a lot of trouble to Reinhard and Reinhard does in fact have multiple forms of AD which would mean that you would need something atleast somewhat comparable AD to deal with him.
Not really, you don't need a form of AD to deal with other guys who have AD, just look at Dragon Ball.

I don't even know if Wilhelm's Battle Ballad feat was AD. He got a temporary boost to speed when it was life-or-death, and Kurgan was amazed that Wilhelm managed it- claiming Wilhelm has taken the first step to Reid.

The fact that this was directly compared to Reid definitely helps his case, but I'd argue that it's closer to Awakened Power than AD. The whole "swordsmen release a perfect attack when faced with a far superior foe" might itself be Awakened Power rather than AD too but I'm less sure about that.

Reid probably shouldn't get AD in my opinion due to presumably having reached his skill cap through training, but I think Awakened Power is a possibility. I think Wilhelm should get this too.

Hard to say- Wilhelm had also reached his peak, but then suddenly somehow got far faster when faced with death, which was a feat that was compared to taking a step on the stairway to Reid's level.

Hysterical strength in Re:Zero be like.

Anyway I think that Wilhelm’s feat was some kind of Awakened Potential.

edit: oop seems like y’all figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back