• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Re-evaluating permissible time-periods for VS thread victories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavpeny

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
This thread is created in response to a very valid concern raised by Dragonmasterxyz in this thread.

It is a long thread, but the crux of the matter is that the time limit for BFR is one month, which is far too large. The thread got me thinking that we need to re-evaluate what is an acceptable time-frame for the existing victory conditions.

Here is the current rule for victory, as listed on the Standard Battle Assumptions page:
"Killing the opponent, removing the opponent from the battlefield for at least one month (BFR), knocking the opponent out for at least one hour, permanently incapacitating the opponent by putting him in a state in which he can not harm the other fighter(s) for over a month, are to be assumed as victory conditions."

I would appreciate input regarding the acceptable time-frames for victory under Standard Battle Assumptions, for all conditions. Current time periods are:

• Removing the opponent from the battlefield (BFR): 1 month+
  • Knocking the opponent out: 1 hour+
  • Permanently incapacitating the opponent, such that they cannot harm anymore: 1 month+
Are these time periods fine as they are, or should they be altered? Please accompany your suggestions with reasoning as well.

Note: Since this is an extremely important thread, please don't make any derailing posts. Let's stick to the issue at hand.

My personal suggestion:

• Removing the opponent from the battlefield (BFR): 1 week+
  • Knocking the opponent out: 1 hour+
  • Permanently incapacitating the opponent, such that they cannot harm anymore: 1 day+
BFR is the cheapest victory method, but it should be considered a victory if the character can remove the opponent for over 1 week. 1 week is plenty of time to recover from majority of battle-fatigue. If the duration is any greater, it might as well be another fight IMO.

No change necessary for knocking out IMO. If the opponent can be knocked out for over an hour, I think it's highly likely that a character capable of knocking out can obtain a permanent form of victory over the opponent (such as killing them) within the hour.

Once again, if a character can permanently incapacitate the opponent for over a day, then that is ample enough time to cement the victory permanently. A month is far too long in this instance.

Having an opponent have 1 month to return from incapacitation or BFR is definitely too much time. If the character is sent out of the battle-field, they should technically lose unless they can return in a short period of time.

I personally agree with Kavpeny's suggestions. Though I think knocking an opponent out for over an hour seems unnecessary considering that the person who won could just kill them within a minute of the KO. I just get an image of the victor just sitting right in front of the KO'd loser and just looking at the clock impatiently.

I too agree with what Kavpeny has said, those options seems better then the previous ones we had.

I definitely agree with the change in time periods, but one little nitpick is the wording for the incapacitation dot point. It says permanently then adds a minimum time. While the message is still clear the permanent part somewhat conflicts with the added time period at the end. I think a slight change to the wording might be a good idea. Maybe fully or effectively instead of permanently, or anything like that.

Yeah i agree with Kav if the limit is too lenient then it won't help give a victor instead would just drag matches out

We are waiting for Kavpeny to get the time to handle this.

@Random-Helper323: Nice catch. Edited.

@DodoNova2: Not every fight involves humans.

Regarding knocking out duration, I would prefer we stick with the hourly limit, since some characters can be knocked out, but are nigh-impossible to kill, in which case knocking out for a minute seems far too short.

Since almost everyone agrees with the initial suggestions, I have modified the page accordingly, and am concluding this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back