• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rank the intelligence of OCs (If you want)

Here's mine

This sort of crosses over Senran Kagura with Hunter x Hunter

"Black Owl/Flash"-Is considered a rival by Kurokage, Kiriya, White*Star, Silva, and Ging, although he only considers Kurokage to be his true rival. Was admired by Rin when she was a student. Could become a Kagura easily if he wanted to. Master assassin, expert of anatomy and nen, Master of intimidation and fear, master of stealth, master of manipulation/his own silver tongue, master of fire based transmutation nenpō. Adapted Hanzō's Super Secret Ninpō scroll for modern use, snuck into Hebijo without any detection and stole the Yin Super Secret Ninpo Scroll from there, wrote many scrolls including the ones that some of the Hanzō students use. Was considered as a possible hier to the Phoenix Conglomerate. He even joked about that. Earned his codename from his black hair and the fact that he seems to silently kill from out of nowhere. Derived the "Shin'en Kekken" technique from the Blood Riot technique in order to reduce the latter technique's effects on him. Written a manuscript Super Secret Ansatsupō Scroll. He's mind is considered by his peers to be a very deadly weapon, and is really good with tantō and wakizashi. Applies his knowledge of anatomy to assassination.

Chifusa-Accomplished, experienced, and skilled ex-teacher of Hanzō, physician, author, and mother. The Black Owl considers her his equal in expertise on anatomy and nen. Wrote several scrolls and textbooks on nen taxonomy. Kiriya considers her his rival in terms of teaching. Students fear her and call her classes "Jugsy's evil bootcamp." Earn her codename "Doctor" from superior skill, wisdom, and knowledge as a shinobi/nen practicing physician.

Chahan-Despite seeming quirky, dorky, and socially awkward, he has skills that would make him at least Jōnin at his age. Ikaruga considers him to be her equal and says he's a better hier to the Phoenix Conglomerate than she could be. Master of lightning based nenjutsu. Considered a rival in assassination skill to the Black Owl. Chifusa considers him to be her best student. Derived the "Mushin no Shin'en Shinkai" technique from Blood Riot to reduce latter technique's effects on him. Despite having all of the skills that he has, he tries to find other solutions besides violence, like when he offered to Homura his father's scroll over Hanzō's Super Secret Ninpō Scroll. Has read practically all of his father's library of Ninpō and Ansatsupō scrolls, and Hanzō's Super Secret Yang Scroll. Haruka wanted him as her lab assistant. His skill with the Kusari-gama makes Murasame look like a total joke.

Now try this guy. He's totally original.

"A man with the gift of metallic mimicry who even as a preteen developed the ability to turn his arms into chains far longer than his normal reach to get away from fights, using cunning to defeat an adult who had the power of instantaneous movement in short bursts and was faster than him at base even though he was a kid. With time, this man developed techniques such as using his control of his form to regenerate wounds (high-low-ish, but because his metal form has no organs he will regenerate ANY wound that doesn't cause irreversible volume loss or significantly damage his head), to control any metal he touches as extensions of his body and imitate any alloy to the point of create new ones, as well as projectile shooting, weapon creation by increasing his mass while metallic, fire manipulation by secreting metallic dust, explosion manipulation from that, magnetism manipulation of himself, limited electricity manipulation via that and poison manipulation through poisonous metals. Once learning about metallic hydrogen, he tried many ways until he finally managed to create it and use for explosive projectiles or a defense against electric attacks. Despite his only power truly being metal based, one of his catchphrases is 'I will defeat you with your own power', and he has managed to even control water, earth and air in the right conditions, indirectly, having endless tricks up his sleeve, an extremely fast thinking and a tremendously pragmatic way of combat that uses the scenario around him and is used to doing cheap stuff like blowing up an opponent's fireball on his own face, having used that to momentarily K.O a dragon who was far stronger than him via managing to hit a stealthy attack while it charged a fireball. He took on the ancient dragon known as 'the dragon of one hundred hallows', who had 100 supernatural items which together culminated on what was a completely overwhelming power and the ability to pretty much warp reality, and ended the battle explaining that 'just as limitations give creativity wings, one who can do anything will never surprise anyone with whatever they do'. He believes that the reason why God is supreme is not because he is all powerful, but because he is all knowing on top of that, as those with too many abilities so often get lost on their own capacities and can never use any individual one of them efficiently or creatively, to the point where by having just a stamina amplifier and robbing two hallows midfight he managed to have many more tricks up his sleeve than the ancient dragon, read so many of his movements and ultimately claim him to be the weakest opponent he's ever fought while stepping on him when he was fallen as a way to break his ego, because in-universe dragons have such a big pride that it serves as a psychic barrier against all forms of mental attacks, often even biology-based ones, but when it is broken they die. This man is considered to be the most dangerous man in the world, having taken down entire brigades and being the rival of an illusionist so skilled that even using the power of illusions to kill a person with a single word is like an amateur's technique to him despite its complexity in inner mechanics. He's also defeated a man 'immune to fire' using nothing but flames (and the occasional punch with metal, but fire around it to create a fire explosion upon impact), and defeats far stronger opponents than himself rather often through his immense intellect and the ability to survive blows that would overkill someone with his own durability due to being able to get in a completely trashed and deformed shape of bent metal and come back from that."

How about the average intellect of a family of illusionists wherein it is considered general knowledge that there is no immunity to illusions, not because no one appears with "immunity to illusions" but because just all that often a mechanism can be used to put an illusion on the immunity itself or walk around it? They are one of the biggest families of superpowered people in the world, with a few tens of thousands of members, and very influential: while there are illusionists outside of them, the knowledge these guys have gathered on their own power by researching it like a science and using knowledge from psychology is such that if you are an illusionist but not one of them, you're most likely cannon fodder, meanwhile even a child or a dog from their houses is dangerous to mess with. That's because their power is incridibly difficult to master, its base mechanics having the consequence that in order to even use your power in someone, you kind of have to be one step ahead of them (it requires knowing the mental reaction to a stimulus of perception in order to "invade it through that gap on the mind's defenses" and capture that specific perception, and there's no Aizen who can use a visual stimulus to capture all five senses, as a trigger can only trigger illusions to the perceptions it affects. Well, at least not directly) and their childs are taught to be able to use that power since young and even as preteens they can use it in adults to great effectiveness, as well as anyone of that family who is over the age of 19 is pretty much guaranteed to go through most common resistances and "immunities" to illusion quite seamlessly (one of them being the common ability to simply flat-out deny illusions and see through them or break them effortlessly through a sharp intuition that 5% of these with powers have, plus 0.5% of those without powers, and can be developed by anyone). They have a faster than normal learning of most subjects, especially what has to do with the human mind, and their minds develop along with their powers. It is also said by them that in a battle between illusionists, the one to win is never the strongest one, but the smartest. Their influence comes from using one of the fields of illusionism (the "Field Illusions", a field of illusionism that consists of projecting illusions on the scenery rather than on a target's mind) to allow these with physical mutations to hide them, as well as other jobs, and from having a couple of skilled members who use their powers for hacking computers.

Yeah, I also imagined all of their kids being Gifted. owo

Damn, my verse is gonna have ridiculously high intelligence levels in most relevant characters.

Like, even the protagonist at some point watches JoJo Part 2 (sic, though I might remove it if I decide to publish the story and this can make copyright stuff attack me) and figures that she can't foresee someone else's line because they can just change it, but ends up still being able to have great insight into someone's thoughts from their behaviors and, wasn't she an overly kind person, would probably be easily a skilled manipulator, besides being also highly witty and strategic in combat — as well as having no shame of being cheap if necessary — and finding new ways to use her speedster power, up to the point where she can use it for stuff like gliding and walking on water. Not running, walking, and use her movement manipulation (she has momentum/kinetic energy manipulation on the scope of her own body and in a far more limited level when it comes from it) to ignore armor as well as make attacks that would seriously damage her cause mostly only superficial damage by "setting" it to stop any non-consented movement as soon as it's in her body. She becomes able to foresee someone's movements and, after some point, to slowly (not "see once, have it mastered" like a sharingan) copy someone's moves during a fight. Since she can control movement, she uses it to eliminate the followthrough of her own attacks and movements so that she can attack heavily without creating many openings, which is commented by others to make her "two times faster than an opponent who were to be as fast as her", at least in combat. Her biggest strength is the ability to understand others so well that she can predict them, making hard reads in a fight far more often than normal for a fighter.

In my redition of Senran Kagura, which I may or may not write as fan fiction, battles between shinobi are not simply battles of brute strength but also battles of the mind and skill. The lower tiers range from around 8-B to around 8-A. And also besides shinobi in general all have a degree in knowledge to using Nen, they also play Gungi as a past-time and mental exercise to help them get better at strategizing for when they they battle.

Although there actually some ninja terribly suck at Gungi like Katsu-nee, Hibari, Yomi, and ironically the legendary ninja himself (he at knows how to play though). Would this make characters in the verse in general have very high intelligence?

Also, Kurokage was the reining champion of Gungi in his generation, and surprisingly he's still undefeated by everyone (heck Yumi once brought in a Gungi playing computer that beat the reining champion of her generation and he still beat it) except the Black Flash.

Being good at a game does not make you battle smart and being overall intelligent can and often is useless in combat. Battle intelligence is very influenced by stuff like being able to keep your cool in a tense situation and being pragmatic as well as skilled. While as a tradition Gungi can sure be interesting and having an analytical intelligence would help them, it's important to also develop stuff like... the kind of training they go through to fight smart? Like fighting a mentor and having their mistakes analysed and pointed out to them, then asked to think up solutions or just flat-out pratice what they did wrong.

But the whole idea does sound interesting, though you could *inserts the donkey kong meme* it owo

Well, a shinobi's strength in my redition is determined by 4 main factors of physical strength, nen mastery, analytical ability/intelligence, and willpower.

Meruem learned and developed one specific ability through playing Gungi, specifically with the Extraordinary Genius that is Komugi and after many other games, which was that of detecting patterns, though. He did not become more creative or even more intelligent (he already was superhumanly gifted) through that. By applying an ability learned in one area to another one, which he could do better via being an extraordinary genius, he got better at punishing tiny mistakes in fighters.

However, this isn't omnipresent. You just have to look at how so many characters from No Game No Life are ridiculously good at gaming... and pieces of shit anywhere else. In order for one's ability acquired in one area to help in another, they must already be open-minded.

Not to say you can't just put it in a story that the better someone gets at Gungi, the better they get as fighters and in the fighting mindgame, but it's more interesting the more concise it is.

In my verse, I plan to have four main combat styles and three main combat intelligences. All of these exist in spectrums and every combatant is a combination of all of those.

The Fighting Styles:

Fighter — One who fights to make sure they wi, using whatever means necessary for that. They may often have drawn-out battles, fight stronger opponents, and while a fight with a fighter may last only a few seconds if it's a curbstomp, they are the frontline against hard-to-take-down enemies and the counter to Assassins and Hunters, although vulnerable to Supports. Many shounen protagonists are fighters, even if they aren't very skilled ones. One example of a very skilled fighter is Joseph Joestar. Fighters are represented by the Diamond suit.

Assassins — One who fights to win quickly and efficiently, using whatever means necessary for that. They may and often do commit normal assassinations, mostly knowing how to simply poison someone's food, as well as to use stealth, lay down traps and use extremely high-damage or lethal moves to quickly incapacitate or kill an opponent. They are the frontline against important enemies, strong enough, and often your first pick against individual, highly relevant targets. Assassins are a kind of fighter that doesn't work for cool-ass shounen battles most of the time because they try their best to finish their brawls quickly and cleanly, and fight very cheaply, but a good example might be Voldemort. Assassins are represented by the Spades suit.

Hunters — One who fights against groups, being the kind of fighter who specializes on taking down large groups of enemies. This may indeed involve separating them and taking them down one by one, or maybe group weaker ones and pummel them all in one go. They know how to get escape when cornered and then attack the entire formation from its weak spot (what circle of opponents that surround you doesn't get a lot weaker once you hit it from the outside?). They're your pick against large groups of enemies, or against lower tiered organizations. Many game protagonists are Hunters, and one example of a very skilled hunter is Goblin Slayer. Hunters are represented by the Clubs suit.

Supports — One who fights to serve their team, even when they are fighting alone. In these situations, a Support's fighting style is defensive, so much so that it's not trying to win, but it will try to make the opponent think they are. A Support's lone fighting style revolves around pressuring your opponent to show as many of their cards and tricks as possible, often looking like fighters and being, on the long run, their counters. When in a team battle, a support will use their abilities to... well, support their team more directly, by however means they have to do so. Supports are represented by the Hearts suit.

The Combat Intelligences:

Mind — Essentially, your knowledge and technical strategy. Your knowledge of different ways to use what you have, of different techniques, of counters to enemy tatics, your plans. Many intelligent characters in fiction have this.

Heart — Your ability to condition your opponent into doing what you want, to read their movements, to manipulate them, to get into the way they think and exploit it, to manipulate them, to fool them, to provoke emotions that will get you where you want (e.g: fear makes one defensive, rage makes one take more risks). Joseph Joestar is a master of this.

Body — Your skill. Your ability to perform complex movements, your ability to use many different moves, to react efficiently, to fight without thinking if the situation calls for that. Goku's Ultra Instinct is one of the pinnacles of this.

These different combat intelligences would be ranked individually (F-E-D-C-B-A-S-Z-╬®, with Z and ╬® being blatantly superhuman levels of intellect) along with the physical attributes (which would take a more dynamic and relative to powerscaling approach) to create a character's overall ranking in one of these graphs like the one JoJo uses for the stands, but in this case there would be 3 graphs (combat style, combat intelligence and power). I'm not sure whether I'd make them explicit and quote them mid-novel or not, likely not, but it's definitely a tool I'd use when planning a character. :p

I mean it's a lot to take in, but in a good way. And I'm very impressed, I really wish you good luck with your project, it's seems that you're very passionate about it!

This probably works as a metafictional element, too, as there are stuff I've taken from fighting games, roleplaying and analysis of other stories. It'd definitely have to be slowly inserted into the story as not to overload the reader/audience with information... though I have a lot of stuff that needs to be slowly fed as not to overload people with information.

Say what nen type would Yumi be? I mean her personality is a little hard to discern her personality to Hisoka's nen test, I think she's either a transmuter, emitter, or conjurer but I could be wrong.

Katsuragi, too. I think it's nice to think about their powers first, as even in the series this "Nen psychology" is considered pseudoscientific.

My smartest character: Is a member of a female-only race with longevity such that the average lifespan is 6 trillion years and has lived for 1 trillion years. On that race, any 10 000 years old individual is expected to have learned, among other topics, all "basic" scientific knowledge of their universe (basically all the laws of physics and known meaningful phenomenon, as if a science teacher knew all humanity knows of physics, chemistry, biology, medicine etc down to the quantum particles or superstrings) and how the multiverse itself is structured (knowledge on how universes are formed, how their laws are shaped and what kinds of universes can and cannot exist), as well as the history of their species, their anthropology and that of relevant species. They are smart enough that, with their senses that can see between the particles that make up your atoms, they can gaze into your brain and within seconds read its structure down to each cell's positioning so that they can know more about you than you do yourself. And this is an extraordinary genius among her own species, who has travelled through billions of universes and has unfathomable wisdom due to remembering details from each of her adventures and each of the very complex places she visited. I think this blurs the line between supergenius and nigh-omniscient

My dumbest character: Well... normal animals and such. But my dumbest relevant character would be a monster who's basically "extremely smart for an animal" and can read subtle cues from human as well as "know what their intentions are" by covering them on its hyperflexible body (it's sort of like a slime, but if you touch its surface it seems to be made of silk or some other fabric rather than a liquid, even though it flows alike, and is not transparent to your eyes). Its species has managed to survive attacks from much more powerful monsters in the past (even young dragons often get frustrated enough to give up trying to kill them) due to a mix of intellect and being basically living armors, after all, they can tank anti-tank bullets and low tier missiles (that is, 9-A~8-C stuff) without much damage.

I don't exactly have a smartest or dumbest character in my adaptive crossover fanfic "Kagura x Kagura." Everyone in the verse in general, although we're talking about nen users, has their own various sets of smarts in up to multiple categories, and has the potential to grow to gain better perfection. This includes Hibari believe it or not, although she kinda needs a jump start and I think Chifusa might help out with that.

Back