• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Range Revision: Standard and Below

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So yeah, this has been a thing for a while. While the range list starts at Standard Melee Range, it goes from 1 meter to 3 meters. The thing is the human arm (which is used as the minimum standard for Standard Melee Range) isn't exactly 1 meter long; in fact, I measured my own arm and got 80 cm with my hand as a fist). Mind you, I'm 5'6" tall.

That's more of a personal nitpick than anything else, so don't worry about that. The real content revision needs to be done with everything shorter. While small characters (ranging from the quark-sized Grey Goo from Tasty Planet Forever to Papa Smurf (who's about 3 apples tall if I recall correctly) are all lumped into "Below Average Human," they also have individual categories for range. Problem is, how exactly does one organize everything below Standard Melee Range without doing something as ridiculously arbitrary as lumping it all into one overly-general "Below Standard Range" category? There are currently two ways to go about this.

A. Copying directly from the page on Small Size. On one hand, it gives everyone a better understanding on how range categories work, but on the other hand, it ignores the largely-decimal scale currently in the Range article.

or

B. Going decimal with it (e.g. millimeters, centimeters). While this move remains in-tune with the current range article, one may not readily be able to associate decimal measurements with a given character.

I personally prefer Route A myself for easier reference, but I think millimeters and centimeters should be listed decimally as well. So yeah, there's that.

Back