• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Videl is competing in the World Martial Arts Tournament. Her next opponent is Ranfan. Speed is not equalized. Win via knockout, keeping the opponent down for 10 seconds, or a ringout. This is Videl after learning to fly.

Ranfan

Videl

Videl is much stronger than her father, who himself has a feat of 651175 J. Ranfan scales to a casual Nam, who at his peak can give 21st tournament Goku a decent fight, at a time when he was far stronger than 2774.88KJ. So, Ranfan should be at about 2774.88KJ while Videl should be unquantifiably greater than 651175j. Ranfan has the AP advantage and possibly has better combat speed, but Videl definitely has better movement speed, in addition to flight, skill, and stamina.

Basically what Frieza_Force_Soldier_100 said

Ranfan < Casual Nam << Serious Nam < Goku (21 Tenkaichi Budokai) >>> Goku (Pilaf Saga) = 2.7 Megajoules. Though I'm not sure if Ranfan is stronger than Goku given her fighting style in the tournament is all about deception and lowering her opponent's guard

Videl (Post training with Gohan) >> Videl (Pre-Training) > Mr. Satan = 651 Kilojoules

This is an interesting battle, since Ranfan is likely much stronger, but Videl is a lot more skilled than her and she's able to fly, making her step out of Ranfan's range and being able to attack her from above.

I'll wait with the voting for now

I'm going to have to give it to Videl due to greater skill, stamina, and better movement options (better speed and flight). Her arsenal is far more versatile than Ranfan's and her seduction isn't really going to help her out here, either.
What is the AP difference?

Woah! Ranfan defeated Saitama?
Yup, I made that thread. It was Saitama's 9-B key.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable about Dragon Ball but just looking at the profiles I'd say that Videl has good options with the Ki Manipulation and Flight. Ranfan's ability to use air friction would probably be good for her at close combat along with the fact that she scales higher in Attack Potency and has possibly much better combat speed. I'd presume that Ranfan wouldn't really bother too much with seduction since her opponent is female and instead try to land a good hit on Videl which should be enough for her to win if she can do that since her Attack Potency is quite a bit stronger.

Videl would need to consistently stay out of Ranfan's range and tire her out with ki attacks since she isn't going to do much damage with the difference in Attack Potency. The fact that Ranfan is a skilled martial artist would probably allow her with her possibly better combat speed to mostly avoid these ki attacks from the distance just fine. The fact that according to her profile Videl doesn't have control over her use of ki blasts doesn't help her case. Her inability to tolerate high-speed flight might pose a problem when she is trying to avoid Ranfan. She does have better stamina though and having high combat intelligence probably helps a lot, though I'm not sure if staying out of Ranfan's range and trying to tire her out is something she is likely to attempt early on in the fight. If she ends up trying close combat first, then she might get taken out by Ranfan's possibly superior combat speed before she can do much.

For now, I'm just going to see what the others have to say before I actually vote.

Last edited:
Videl has never used ki blasts in canon. Only in the video games. I don't know if we should count those or not. We DO count Hercule's jetpack despite it only being from the games. She DID create a sphere of ki in her hands at one point in canon. To be more clear, in the video games, her normal ki blasts do work, but they fizzle-out over short distances, and when charged, merely fly around in random directions. Her normal ones would probably work if she was lose enough, but the charged ones would require her to be REALLY close.

Videl has never used ki blasts in canon. Only in the video games. I don't know if we should count those or not. We DO count Hercule's jetpack despite it only being from the games. She DID create a sphere of ki in her hands at one point in canon. To be more clear, in the video games, her normal ki blasts do work, but they fizzle-out over short distances, and when charged, merely fly around in random directions. Her normal ones would probably work if she was lose enough, but the charged ones would require her to be REALLY close.
It isn't exactly good for Videl if she needs to be close.

I mean, it would still give her more range than Ranfan, for what that's worth. In the games, her blasts can travel at least a few meters before fizzling out. She could hover a few feet above Ranfan and fire them. Ranfan would have to jump to get to her.

Last edited:
I mean, it would still give her more range than Ranfan, for what that's worth. In the games, her blasts can travel at least a few meters before fizzling out. She could hover a few feet above Ranfan and fire them. Ranfan would have to jump to get to her.
It's still making things easier for Ranfan even if it isn't anything decisive.

Vote Videl she is a better fighter and has more skill like flight while Ranfan count more in the seduction

Is it in-character for Videl to resort to flying as soon as the fight starts or would she try close quarter combat first?

Videl seems like the most powerful fighter here, things like pretending to be hurt might allow ranfan to get a hit in, but won't work more than once, voting Videl

Videl seems like the most powerful fighter here, things like pretending to be hurt might allow ranfan to get a hit in, but won't work more than once, voting Videl
Ranfan has AP advantage and possibly better combat speed, so I'm pretty sure that you'll need to elaborate more.

Doesn't Ranfan like, canonically suck at martial arts though? Hence why she has to resort to seducing/embarrassing/distracting opponents in order to win? None of which will work on videl due to also being a woman.

Doesn't Ranfan like, canonically suck at martial arts though? Hence why she has to resort to seducing/embarrassing/distracting opponents in order to win? None of which will work on videl due to also being a woman.
Yes, and Videl also scales above a much faster speed feat (Subsonic VS Superhuman)

Ranfan isn't good at martial arts? I wouldn't really know much about that but why does she have Martial Arts listed in her Powers and Abilities, is called a skilled martial artist in her Intelligence section and has nothing like not being adept at martial arts in her Weakness section?

Ranfan isn't good at martial arts? I wouldn't really know much about that but why does she have Martial Arts listed in her Powers and Abilities, is called a skilled martial artist in her Intelligence section and has nothing like not being adept at martial arts in her Weakness section?
Yeah idk I guess maybe she's still decent? But videl should still easily outskill.

Yeah idk I guess maybe she's still decent? But videl should still easily outskill.
I can accept Videl being more skilled since she has high combat intelligence even if that's a bit vague since there are no further details. That being said, the combat speed might pose a problem for Videl in close combat unless she can circumvent that somehow.

Back