• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing something in the center area that doesn't look like concrete fragmentation.

But its whatever. I'll apply the changes to everyone. Someone should edit the hub page with the updated rating though.
Hub page?

EDIT: Ooooooh, you mean the verse page? Yeah, should be easy enough.

I have to ask if it makes logical sense to upgrade him based on this when in reality the power of the bomb didn't have to be 8-C to vaporize multiple people, but rather the 9-A required to vaporize + the AoE to reach multiple people?
Sorry but I don't get the question, I mean, it's only the energy to vaporize X people, we have energy to vaporize one, then multiply by the amount of people. I think that's... obvious? If you still don't understand, please elaborate on your doubt so I can answer you.

I was going to answer a bunch of comments but I saw the changes are going to be made, good.

Sorry but I don't get the question,
How I'm reading it is inverse square law. Basically it wouldn't be Result * 6 but surface area of effected area multiplied against the surface area of a human.

Or if a human is 2 m^2 and a explosion incinerated people from 10 meters away, that means it was outputting 300 megajoules of energy over a surface area of 314.16 m^2

Though considering there was no explosion and for all we know it could damage them in same strange way, I wouldn't recommend using that method here.

How I'm reading it is inverse square law. Basically it wouldn't be Result * 6 but surface area of effected area multiplied against the surface area of a human.

Or if a human is 2 m^2 and a explosion incinerated people from 10 meters away, that means it was outputting 300 megajoules of energy over a surface area of 314.16 m^2

Though considering there was no explosion and for all we know it could damage them in same strange way, I wouldn't recommend using that method here.
Spino tried Inverse-square law, that gave really wanked results, 8-B, 39.83 tons of TNT.

Even if you assume only one value (0.058137456 tons of TNT) for charring... (Spino already figured out the distance between the bomb and the people, all that's left to do is swap his 6 people vaping value with one people vaping value)

0.058137456 * 2* (4 * pi * (1.9347)^2)= 5.46919170992 tons of TNT (High 8-C)

Last edited:
Oh well then reading the comments would actually asnwer this question.

I'll check the novelization of the movie and see if it mentions anything actually.

In hindsight probably should've done that first ngl.

I'd say the Venom vaporization feat is an outlier, not due to yield but due to context. Venom, even just the symbiote on its lonesome, directly scales to Spider-Man, who's taken Goblin Bombs to the face and was able to woop Goblin Jr in a straight fight, who also face tanked a full-power Goblin Bomb. Sure, Trash on his own being vaporized is consistent, but a Goblin Bomb vaporizing a character that directly scales to people who consistently survive them? Not so much.

Meanwhile, the skeletons feat is the defining feat for the Pumpkin Bombs, and isn't really contradicted anywhere afaik. Let's just use that. 8-C Raimi-Man all the way

Might not even matter, the Venom shit is DEFINITELY 8-C, even taking a bunch of conservative estimations, straight up halving the volume to be super safe due to how hollow he is, and using tar, which has a specific heat of 0.407 (quite a bit less than water's 4.184, it gets 8-C.

Of course I have to actually get it to a point it's actually sufficient and not just me half assing it with safe numbers as to not overshoot, but shit is 8-C at minimum.
I'd say the Venom vaporization feat is an outlier, not due to yield but due to context. Venom, even just the symbiote on its lonesome, directly scales to Spider-Man, who's taken Goblin Bombs to the face and was able to woop Goblin Jr in a straight fight, who also face tanked a full-power Goblin Bomb. Sure, Trash on his own being vaporized is consistent, but a Goblin Bomb vaporizing a character that directly scales to people who consistently survive them? Not so much.
Technically speaking, Venom and Eddie weren't together in that instance, it was technically a hostless venom and just a average dude, if that matters at all.

The Venom symbiote on its own doesn't have any concrete feats of surviving being actually punched by any of the other guys. So that point is moot. The symbiote only ever grows that strong by bonding to a host as shown in the movie, it's not like in the comics where the symbiote itself can easily dominate Spider-Man even without a host.

Hmm. Actually I was likely jumped the gun. Here's the novel version of the scene.
The armored monster swung back around, his demented laughter ringing in Mary Jane’s ears with such force that she felt as if the entire world consisted of nothing but his crazed cackling. She bit back her fear, didn’t succeed, cried out in panic, and then saw him coming in fast as he hurled another pumpkin bomb.

This is it, I’m going to die, she thought, because another explosion would finish them off for sure.

Except it didn’t explode.

Instead the bomb landed with a thunk right in front of the members of the OsCorp board. She heard it whirring, making a metallic sound, and she pulled herself up enough to see it rising into the air as they stared at it in confusion. None of them made a move to help her. Taking a deep breath, M. J. gave it everything she had and started to haul herself up.

Suddenly the bomb exploded, but not like the other one had. This one erupted in a flash of brilliant orange, so bright and searing that it irradiated half a dozen members of the board. Just as it went off, Mary Jane looked away. Being mostly blocked by the balcony itself, she was preserved from harm, but she was nearly flash blinded. And she caught a quick impression of those board members closest to it being literally turned into X-ray images of themselves.

The concussion of the blast caused the balcony to separate even further, and Mary Jane slid back, almost skidding off the edge completely. Harry was blinking furiously, apparently trying to get his eyes cleared from whatever damage the bomb had done to him. He was crawling across the balcony, trying not to cause it to tilt even further, and he was reaching out to Mary Jane to try and snag her hand. M. J. stretched her arm as far as she could, her fingers almost touching his.

Spider-Man (2002) pages 256-257

Nah, it was already torn apart by the first Pumpkin Bomb. The second one just made it worse.
Still means it can cause destruction to some degree (Like concussive blasts it caused that made the balcony separate further like the novel says). Maybe those bombs have different exploding modes I reckon. Same yield, but different methods of letting it all out.

Might not even matter, the Venom shit is DEFINITELY 8-C, even taking a bunch of conservative estimations, straight up halving the volume to be super safe due to how hollow he is, and using tar, which has a specific heat of 0.407 (quite a bit less than water's 4.184, it gets 8-C.
Source for the tar value? I find values of 1.85 on google. Also what mass value did you use for the symbiote?

The Venom symbiote on its own doesn't have any concrete feats of surviving being actually punched by any of the other guys. So that point is moot. The symbiote only ever grows that strong by bonding to a host as shown in the movie, it's not like in the comics where the symbiote itself can easily dominate Spider-Man even without a host.
It directly contended with Spider-Man's physical strength, including explosive ripping motions which would correlate to striking strength, when it tried to resist his attempt to get rid of it. It held it's own against him for a pretty good amount of time even while he was weakening it with sound

Ultimately though this point is kinda moot cuz I'm on Team 8-C and Pumpkin Bombs have better showings that also have zero hiccups in regards to the scaling chain, just wanted to explain my view a bit more

It directly contended with Spider-Man's physical strength, including explosive ripping motions which would correlate to striking strength, when it tried to resist his attempt to get rid of it. It held it's own against him for a pretty good amount of time even while he was weakening it with sound
But at that time it was already fully bonded to Spider-Man, it wasn't wholly separate like in Eddie's case. Even when Eddie jumped in to re-merge, it wasn't fully bonded. Refer to what Curt Connors' said, once it binds, it can become hard to unbind.

Also what mass value did you use for the symbiote?

Here.

And not quite there yet, but the rough pixel scaling off Eddy, who's actor is 180cm tall, got the central mass of Venom to be about 6 tons, then just slapping some hollowness and all that on it. About 3 tons assuming the weight of tar, which is 1.15g per cm3, according to aqua calc.

Well anyways the bomb uses radiation to kill people, rather than explosive force. So yeah, they were indeed completely different bombs from each other.

Hmm. Actually I was likely jumped the gun. Here's the novel version of the scene.
Isn't that quite obvious? I mean, they are different during the explosion, one doesn't explode, the other does, it doesn't indicate a difference in potency though.

Sorry but I don't get the question, I mean, it's only the energy to vaporize X people, we have energy to vaporize one, then multiply by the amount of people. I think that's... obvious? If you still don't understand, please elaborate on your doubt so I can answer you.
I was more or less confused because in theory the explosion wouldn't have to be any stronger than the 9-A required to vaporize one person, it's just that six people were subjected to it at the same time, it's not as if the yield is increased or decreased based on how many people are present, just that enough people were in the vicinity of what in theory only has to be 9-A to achieve the results desired.
Or a punch that simultaneously shatters 3 buildings or something.
I actually think that's a little different, but to each their own.

I personally think my problem is just with the factor being people in an explosive.

Well anyways the bomb uses radiation to kill people, rather than explosive force. So yeah, they were indeed completely different bombs from each other.
I'm not convinced.

If anything this just tells me the bomb's method of explosion was changed and yet it gave of concussive blasts, which indicates the bomb having separate modes to focus its power onto certain targets, or to let everything out like conventional bombs. I wouldn't doubt it being possible, given how versatile Goblin can be with his equipment.

And hey there's no problem with jumping the gun here, no one even knew the novelization existed and that it had these statements (though I still don't belive the potency is different), just undo the edits anyway

I was more or less confused because in theory the explosion wouldn't have to be any stronger than the 9-A required to vaporize one person, it's just that six people were subjected to it at the same time, it's not as if the yield is increased or decreased based on how many people are present, just that enough people were in the vicinity of what in theory only has to be 9-A to achieve the results desired.

I personally think my problem is just with the factor being people in an explosive.
In any case, it would prolly be an inverse-square law issue, but as I said in the other above comments, assuming the distance between the bomb and the people, reverse-inverse-squaring to get the yield gets really high results.

Here.

And not quite there yet, but the rough pixel scaling off Eddy, who's actor is 180cm tall, got the central mass of Venom to be about 6 tons, then just slapping some hollowness and all that on it. About 3 tons assuming the weight of tar, which is 1.15g per cm3, according to aqua calc.
How the hell did you get a mass value that high. I'd go with 99% hollowness bare minimum.

Gotcha, thoug I still think the correct method is multiplying the value. The calc to vaporize one person has one value for every single property, like weight, water %, body fat, etc etc. Only one value, then one person.

That's not enough reason to assume they are different, that's basically abusing special effects and saying they are different. Bombs are the same, there's no explanation in-lore saying he developed two different bombs with two differents Tiers. And what's the "different capabilities after exploding" thing? Did you expect Spiderman to be pulverized as well? No ******* way mate.
When it comes to SFX, everything back in those days (the era of Star Wars prequels style of effects) was likely made by hand. They didn't use an iMovie filter or stock effect to accomplish the look of something. If they changed the way the effect looked, it was typically intentional. Raimi has an eye for that in his films like other directors such as Lucas did. Not everything needs to be explicit in verse to conjure that reasoning, it isn't absurd to fall to that conclusion. Lazy moment in the effect budget? Perhaps, but without a BTS clip, or writer/director statement, you have nothing other than that to go on.

Also there is in universe precedent for the bombs being different. Harry found his dad's gear after it was laying around for years, and all that tech was experimental and bleeding edge. It's likely Norman made it to finish Spider-Man (and his other goals) rapidly. It's not like bullets or ramen where it doesn't "expire" after sitting on the shelf forever. Maybe the reason the effect was green and is no longer so is because some experimental military thing (which Oscorp in this verse is known for) is an inactive ingredient.

Yes, this sounds very Film Theory right now, but again, this director wrote all same 3 films and saw each scene himself before putting it to screens. Again, in a few years time. It's not like he'd forget so soon. It's likely he saw the lack of green and said "yeah, there's a reason for it to look like this, but I'm not gonna baby the nerds in the audience and detract from the film to make it clear."

The novel word for word said it was a different bomb. So it is different.
The novel says...

"Suddenly the bomb exploded, but not like the other one had."

This doesn't outright admit the bomb to be a different bomb like "But this bomb was different".

I think that means that it uses both X-Ray/Radiation and still gives off concussive force. Its special in that way.
Or, again, Goblin could've selected a different explosive mode for the bomb.

I checked the Spider-Man 3 novel and the end scene is different. With Venom killing Eddie and using his skeleton as a puppet-thing, so we can't use that for a result for that:
He lowered the rebar to meet the oncoming Venom, and Venom—staggering from the ringing—was unable to control his forward motion. He impaled himself upon the makeshift tuning fork that Spider-Man had fashioned and gasped in surprise. The deadly pike dropped from Venom's hands.

Peter had taken care not to make the wound mortal.

Eddie Brock would be in a world of hurt for a long time, but it wasn't intended to be fatal by any means. With any luck, though, it would be fatal for the symbiote because of the tonality. Peter's eyes widened in shock. Whatever the symbiote had done to him, it didn't compare with what it had done to Brock.

It slithered off him, in response to the sound assault… but it left nothing behind. All that remained of Eddie Brock was a smoking skeleton, and Spider-Man couldn't help but wonder in horror if Brock had even been present at all. It might well have been the alien creature all along, talking and acting the way it believed Eddie Brock was supposed to.
Or, again, Goblin could've selected a different explosive mode for the bomb.
If that's the case then they still wouldn't scale to it, since it uses a different means of attacking people.

I checked the Spider-Man 3 novel and the end scene is different. With Venom killing Eddie and using his skeleton as a puppet-thing
Unfortunately this part contradicts with the movie heavily.

True, the movie was supposed to have it work out like this, but ultimately it turned into a deleted scene.

How the hell did you get a mass value that high. I'd go with 99% hollowness bare minimum.

It definitely ain't 99% hollow imo, I'd say 50% is more fair, he definitely still has bulk and is quite cohesive center mass and we even get a shot inside him from the POV and he's pretty put together (The outer parts obviously not included, they're almost entirely hollow yeah, but I haven't even began to factor that in anyway) that was also me scaling Venom at his thinnest point. I guess tar might just be comparatively heavy? Atop of Venom's pretty massive size (easily over 3m tall, as well as about Eddy's height in width, give or take). Guess it just comes out decently high?
I checked the Spider-Man 3 novel and the end scene is different. With Venom killing Eddie and using his skeleton as a puppet-thing, so we can't use that for a result for that:

If that's the case then they still wouldn't scale to it, since it uses a different means of attacking people.
Ok but, we aren't talking about the novel version, we're talking about the movie version.

It definitely ain't 99% hollow imo, I'd say 50% is more fair, he definitely still has bulk and is quite cohesive center mass and we even get a shot inside him from the POV and he's pretty put together (The outer parts obviously not included, they're almost entirely hollow yeah, but I haven't even began to factor that in anyway) that was also me scaling Venom at his thinnest point. I guess tar might just be comparatively heavy? Atop of Venom's pretty massive size (easily over 3m tall, as well as about Eddy's height in width, give or take). Guess it just comes out decently high?
Just inverse-square law the symbiote via comparing how much bigger it is than Eddie then?

can we just get the Venom feat calced properly so we can finish this? Like, I get that the bomb is different via novelization (tho still don't belive it, but we don't always get what we want) and still, the visual effects aren't still a reason to say they have different potency.

Mf has tons of Tier 8 weapons and nitpicking the lowest possible to scale to Spiderman while they fought to death is honestly bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back