• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Cthulhu Mythos cosmology

So, while reading some versus threads related to the Outer Gods such as Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth etc., I found people making claims that the cosmology of Lovecraft's works includes 'infinite' number of gates, starting from the first gate all the way up to the Ultimate Gate, where the first gate alone is 1-A and each subsequent gate is qualitatively superior to the preceding gate, thus forming an infinite hierarchy. There are some claims about the First Gate itself being qualitatively superior to 1-A beings.

Can someone provide evidence backing these statements? Along with the source of course? Thank you

Yog Sothoth is a primordial entity that inhabits all living and unliving things. Every concept that exists is seemingly embodied by Yog Sothoth. When Randolph Carter meets with Yog Sothoth he not only sees infinite versions of himself within Yog Sothoth but also he sees planets and stars erupting and colliding with one another. Every fundamental facet of existence is stored within Yog Sothoth's being and when Carter is "communicating" with Yoggy he sees the Eldritch Truth(s). He finds out that the "World of Man" aka our Universe is just a tiny part of this one big massive beyond comprehensional being and that even that he himself is a part of it.

https://youtu.be/eXNch8lq35Y?t=3276

That or Carter is just high and this is all just happening in his imagination. Which is the lame version lol.

He wasn't high. The Swami who was describing this was clearly supernatural and nonhuman and the only person skeptical of this throughout the story is a complete asshole who ends up dying trying to prove (and fail) the Swami was a quack.

Let's not forget that it's clearly stated the Universe Randolph inhabits is insignificant and simply one of the many many realities that Yog Sothoth and the Outer Gods dwarf in size and presense.

Thanks for your time, everyone

And yes, I have read Through the Gates of the Silver Key and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath. These are legit the only two work by H.P. Lovecraft that I have read and I do admit that Yog Sothoth is indeed far deep into 1-A, being the supreme archetype, the archetype of all archetypes and all that stuff. What I am yet to see the evidence for is the claims that I have seen being made and I have mentioned in the post above

Back