• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Proto Man vs. Bass (Canon Versions) (CONCLUDED)

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Once Proto activates it, Bass is going to notice an energy barrier on him and upon firing, is gonna know that Proto is invincible. This battle is going to be largely a shoot out so Bass is likely gonna find out by firing at him and seeing it does nothing with Beat Barrier active and since this is a shoot out, both are gonna be at a distance from each other and are likely going to stay that way to dodge each other's projectiles or be out of range. Bass is going to find out through these means before Proto decides to close the gap and he'll actively try to stay away somehow until the Beat Barrier runs out. That's how I see it happening anyway.
Pretty much all Proto would need here is too freeze Bass or close the gap somehow. Really whenether bass tries to go melee range, Blues would immediately turn the barrier on to pummel him. I think with Blues being such a strategic fighter, he would only use the barrier when it's clear it wouldn't just go to waste.

I think Bass takes this one.

On top of what has already been said, weapons like Lightning Bolt, Forte Vulcan or Doppler Attack pretty much negate the advatage Proto Shield gives. Beat Barrier can be a problem, but it wears down pretty quickly while blocking attacks.

And while people have mentioned the Treble Boost, no one has mentioned that Treble can fight on his own, basically making this a 2 versus 1.

I still don't get how any of those weapons counter Proto's invincibility. And he'd always use it when he's sure it won't get to waste

Beat's Barrier requieres Beat to arrive and apply it, Proto can't activate it instantly.

Beat's Barrier requieres Beat to arrive and apply it, Proto can't activate it instantly.
He can do it while stunning bass with something like concrete shot. Speaking of c. shot, MM9 weaponry is probably more useful than MM&B. It has petrification, black hole creation, a piercing laser attack, huge AoE wind attack, homing projectiles, a strong barrier protecting Blues from all sides and so on

There isn't?

Even if we know the character in question was somewhere else when the DLC takes place?

Isn't using DLC (and other non-canonical sources) a part of the problem we have with the Mega Man profiles overall regarding misinformation??? lol

It isn't truthful to say Bass has MM10 weapons or Proto has MM9 weapons respectively.

Regardless, Bass having Treble along (since he can use Treble Boost and is Bass' sole companion anyway) is undisputed and I agree it should be noted that Treble can join in since he's always by Bass' side (as Dante has said). Saying Proto has Beat is kind of in the air since Proto only usually uses his own utility items (MM10). Additionally, since the arcade games had Rock, Proto, Bass and Duo team up, it can be argued that they all shared resources and that the utilities they had in those games were temporary. Hell, even DUO used Beat iirc but we aren't going to say Beat is also a part of his standard equipment are we?

Finally, even if the barrier is allowed, that's one advantage Proto has while Bass has several others. The barrier is temporary, Bass has means to stall and or get away and once it runs out, it's back to fair game. With Treble helping him out, I still see Bass having this.

Isn't using DLC (and other non-canonical sources) a part of the problem we have with the Mega Man profiles overall regarding misinformation??? lol

It isn't truthful to say Bass has MM10 weapons or Proto has MM9 weapons respectively.

Regardless, Bass having Treble along (since he can use Treble Boost and is Bass' sole companion anyway) is undisputed and I agree it should be noted that Treble can join in since he's always by Bass' side (as Dante has said). Saying Proto has Beat is kind of in the air since Proto only usually uses his own utility items (MM10). Additionally, since the arcade games had Rock, Proto, Bass and Duo team up, it can be argued that they all shared resources and that the utilities they had in those games were temporary. Hell, even DUO used Beat iirc but we aren't going to say Beat is also a part of his standard equipment are we?

Finally, even if the barrier is allowed, that's one advantage Proto has while Bass has several others. The barrier is temporary, Bass has means to stall and or get away and once it runs out, it's back to fair game. With Treble helping him out, I still see Bass having this.
Proto would realize how much of an advantage barrier is and would only use it then Bass can’t stall. Plus, stalling isn’t in character for bass’s agressice style he might just try to hit harder or something

That's not the only advantage Blues has. There's also higher physical strength, possibly stronger buster with the proto strike, higher experience, physical strength, a shield he can use to reflect Bass's attacks back at him and smarter. Meanwhile Bass has higher durability, mobility with treble boost and possibly a bit more useful weaponry if we don't count MM9 for Proto Man, but I'd say proto shield is better than them all

I mean, trying harder isn't a bad strategy here. The barrier wears down quicker when blocking hits.

I honestly don't know if there's anything else to say that would change this matchup drastically.

There ARE things that haven't been brought up (Like if the Magic Card could snatch the Proto Shield), but they are probably irrelevant given the previous arguments.

I honestly don't know if there's anything else to say that would change this matchup drastically.

There ARE things that haven't been brought up (Like if the Magic Card could snatch the Proto Shield), but they are probably irrelevant given the previous arguments.
I disagree. Proto man's invincibility while tricky to use is a trump card if used at the right time. Bass closest equivalent to a trump card is treble boost, and while it is certainly useful, fight's gonna be mostly long ranged and Proto fought numerous opponents before. Bass has his advantages, but Proto's are imo more significant and the beat barrier seals the deal.

Say... it's the Hyper Buster (That item that let's Bass shoot through walls) an actual ability or just game mechanics?

Say... it's the Hyper Buster (That item that let's Bass shoot through walls) an actual ability or just game mechanics?
Game mechanics. Just like how Mega Man shoots through walls, as you know. It's an upgrade for Bass cause of his own gameplay limitations so it shouldn't be taken seriously.

By this point we're better off posting this thread in other sites to see if anyone joins.

Or take the 5-5 score at face value and leave it as inconclusive.

Already advertised it somewhere lol

Also, is it technically allowed to call an incon when neither hit 7 votes?

I feel like Bass should win this? I've read the whole thread, and I really liked all the arguments and reasoning, and both are really sound.

I can see both winning, as they have good chances, and Proto Man does have the advantage in close range and his experience should grant him a win in any closer fight, but Bass isn't really helpless, and he can stay afar more easily than Proto Man can stay close.

Of course, Proto Man's shield can block almost all shots, but Bass's shots, at least if we take his appearance in Megaman & Bass, can be quite difficult for Proto Man to block in that regard, as in he can fire them in a much faster sequence and speed, all the while taking more unpredictable angles. With the Super Adapter and the special weapons, I lean towards Bass... But it is close. Really close.

I feel like Bass should win this? I've read the whole thread, and I really liked all the arguments and reasoning, and both are really sound.

I can see both winning, as they have good chances, and Proto Man does have the advantage in close range and his experience should grant him a win in any closer fight, but Bass isn't really helpless, and he can stay afar more easily than Proto Man can stay close.

Of course, Proto Man's shield can block almost all shots, but Bass's shots, at least if we take his appearance in Megaman & Bass, can be quite difficult for Proto Man to block in that regard, as in he can fire them in a much faster sequence and speed, all the while taking more unpredictable angles. With the Super Adapter and the special weapons, I lean towards Bass... But it is close. Really close.
In a ranged fight I feel like Proto's shield along with the stronger buster (if you count Powered Up) would probably help him a lot. If Bass just goes up real high and just starts spamming the buster Proto's in for trouble yeah. But that's not really how Bass usually fights, he may easily get pissed and leeroy jenkins in CqC, in which Proto Man would trump him. Again, if Bass just abuses his mobility the only thing Proto can do is maybe use AoE like the tornado blow or something homing like the bees, with Bass just plainly having more options. Bass just won't likely do that since he isn't that strategic. Also, Blues will surely recognize the possibility of such a thread and try to defeat Bass quickly, while Bass himself enjoys fighting and will probably try to drag the fight.

Bass doesn't drag out fights. Just because he's cocky and full of himself doesn't mean he's the same as other characters who enjoy toying with their victims or prolonging a fight for the sake of the thrill.

No, Bass fights to win and that's seen quite enough with how he destroys Robot Masters without hesitation, beats down King (only sparing him since he already won and wanted to know who King's creator was) and ultimately defeats Wily himself. He did so not because of some sick pleasure or the thrill, he did so because he was angry that he was being toyed with by his creator and wanted to defeat them all. He doesn't play games. Not to mention that in his fights against Rock, Bass has no qualms straight up killing him to satisfy his goals of both becoming the world's strongest robot and defeating Rock once and for all to prove his superiority.

Also, Bass is strategic enough. He's already very similar to Rock in terms of discovering and exploiting weaknesses while also adapting to Robot Masters with varying patterns and strategies of their own. The fact that he can trump his own creator at his own game is also proof. While Proto is more experienced and hardened, his strategies shouldn't be much different at all and shouldn't count as a major factor.

Last edited:
Bass doesn't drag out fights. Just because he's cocky and full of himself doesn't mean he's the same as other characters who enjoy toying with their victims or prolonging a fight for the sake of the thrill.

No, Bass fights to win and that's seen quite enough with how he destroys Robot Masters without hesitation, beats down King (only sparing him since he already won and wanted to know who King's creator was) and ultimately defeats Wily himself. He did so not because of some sick pleasure or the thrill, he did so because he was angry that he was being toyed with by his creator and wanted to defeat them all. He doesn't play games. Not to mention that in his fights against Rock, Bass has no qualms straight up killing him to satisfy his goals of both becoming the world's strongest robot and defeating Rock once and for all to prove his superiority.

Also, Bass is strategic enough. He's already very similar to Rock in terms of discovering and exploiting weaknesses while also adapting to Robot Masters with varying patterns and strategies of their own. The fact that he can trump his own creator at his own game is also proof. While Proto is more experienced and hardened, his strategies shouldn't be much different at all and shouldn't count as a major factor.
Bass is also often blinded by his rage, and maybe he won't exactly drag the fight out, he wouldn't try to stomp Blues immediately with some funny bullshit, Blues is more willing to do so.

Also don't forget that Bass merging with treble does take a second or so. Not that long, but Blues will certainly use it to his advantage.

Treble isn't a one trick wolf, you know?

Also, under this logic Bass can shoot down Beat before any barrier shenanigans take place.

Back