• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Profile Pic Spoilers

DemonGodMitchAubin

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
This is a really short and lowkey debatable CRT

But yeah, I just got spoiled on a series I like a lot because someone had a Profile Pic that was from the Raws of future chapters of the series. So like the salty boy that I am, I feel like we should have a rule in place where you can't have a Profile Pic for the Raws of a series. I mean technically it's illegal to have that stuff and share it on the internet anyways, so hopefully we can stop innocent people from getting spoiled because someone has a picture from the Raws of a series.

I have no idea if this is reasonable or unreasonable, but as an example, imagine if I had immediately made
Luffy's Gear 5th Awakening
my Profile Pic after the raws came out and I immediately spoiled all those innocent One Piece fans, y'all would have hated that right? So yeah, that's my CRT. I just feel like this should be a rule.

Oh. All the chapters have been translated and the official release on webtoon has just ended completely, so my picture should be fine, I just wanted to make sure.

I think my rule of thumb would be that no pfps should be allowed from anything that, at the time, is considered a "leak" (so, for example, Japanese raws for manga)

Ehh...? That just seems like an unnecessary rule to apply. On top of that, trying to keep up with all pfps and reporting people over it... Just seems like rather waste of time.

We can't just tell people what pfp you can and can't have. When it comes to graphic stuff, like nsfw, sure, but everything else is... It's not something we could or rather should be implementing.

What you could do is turn off pfps in your account settings. Honestly probably the best possible solution without having to implement a new rule around something as harmless as this ¯\(ツ)/¯. Maybe it's just my views on spoilers, something which I never cared about, but this seems rather unneeded.

No. Most stuff we post on profiles are and can be spoilers for anyone if they havent yet started the series or aren't up to the last release be it manga,comics, a book,a novel, etc. You looked on the profile before being at date so its your own fault as you choose of your own free will.

At the same time, most stuff we post as in scans is illegal to use if its not from official websites...even then do you have the right to take screenshots of it and then post on another website? You buy the volume of a comic and take shoots of it...are you still legally allowed to post them?

Yeah I don't even know how we would reasonably enforce such a rule. "Hey man, nice profile picture, unfortunately our staff member here hasn't actually finished that series yet, so... change off that picture or break the rules, your call."

It's god damn unfortunate you got spoilers, Mitch, but based on what you're saying it seems like an accident. I really disagree with making a rule about this.

I disagree too, and without context it's almost impossible to tell if the image you're looking at is a spoiler or just fanart.
my Profile Pic after the raws came out and I immediately spoiled all those innocent One Piece fans, y'all would have hated that right?
I wouldn't really mind, I mean without seeing images of the chapter how would I possibly know your profile pic is authentic in the first place?

It will be really hard to enforce such a rule, but perhaps a suggestion on our rules page saying it's not very nice to spoil people and they should be mindful of such.

I believe a stipulation should also be in place saying that while we can't entirely enforce such a rule, it is a dick move and will be frowned upon heavily.

The moment you look on any profile if you havent read the series or seen it you are already spoiled as you see abilities they have, powers used to form their P&A section, how strong/fast they are, what name/title they may get along the story which could point how they develop, what faction they may chose, what classification they have which could spoil if they play for example being a human but are actually a demon, etc.

You could say to add a spoiler tag above the profile like how we want to implant for Mature Content but this is harder to say as you'll have to decided for how long a spoiler is a spoiler...for I who didn't watch for example Kamen Rider anything is spoiler till I watch it which could be in that state till I do but then come the question when I will watch and the spoiler won't be a spoiler which could go for an unknown period of time.

Thats why its your fault for looking on a verse/profile if you plan to watch and not get spoiled.

I disagree. It is absolutely hilarious when you control people's own will and which profile picture they can choose or not (excluding NSFW ones, but this is reasonable).
I'm also wondering how can a profile picture spoils a lot of contexts. It seems a superpower for me.

I understand where Mitch’s coming from- imagine if DBZ was still fresh, and someone made a gif of Goku going Super Saiyan the exact day the episode dropped. Anyone who wasn’t fortunate enough to have caught it instantly, perhaps if they had work or something, would be spoiled of what is arguably the best reveal in the show.

However, it’s simply not worth the time and resources to enforce. It would both be awkward to bring up as Bambu mentioned, and hard to keep up with what’s considered Spoilers and what isn’t. You know, some people still consider the reveal that Darth Vader’s Luke’s father ‘spoilers’, despite the movie having come out decades ago?

What I don’t understand is why people are bringing up Profiles. This isn’t a character profile issue, it’s a PFP issue. If Mitch was complaining about having clicked on Luffy’s profile and been spoiled, it’d be one thing, but he’s talking about someone having a PFP which spoiled a series he enjoyed. Character profiles really don’t have anything to do with it.

I feel that it may be better make a spoiler period rather than "we mustn't post raw pic"

I personally oppose this since the world is open generally excluding some regions. Maybe it is not good "banning people from watching foreign stuff", at least it is not universally established, so everyone is free to simply look at discussion platform in region of origin to get information and therefore it may be meaningless to ban raw stuff.

Cope, seethe, mald

Anyways, it's rather inappropiate to make a punishable act for our purposes showing spoilers, it doesn't violate Fandom's ToU, doesn't inhibit editing (isn't even vandalism), nor is insultive in itself to anyone. Even if undesirable to that degree to a minority, we'd be restricting our userbase just because a very small amount of users are very vocal of disliking spoilers (and at that point just avoid the internet until you catch up to say the least), and it's not like pages on the site having spoiler disclaimers is even a formal thing either.

Meh, I have mostly calmed down on the subject, but the series I’m talking about that was spoiled for me is a webtoon, the raws are literally weeks ahead of the current translations and so I got spoiled on something I won’t be able to read for like at least 5 weeks, hence my understandable anger about the matter

Like it’s not that I missed a chapter, I just literally can’t read the next ones cause only raws are out

But I do see why people would disagree with this being a rule

Meh, I have mostly calmed down on the subject, but the series I’m talking about that was spoiled for me is a webtoon, the raws are literally weeks ahead of the current translations and so I got spoiled on something I won’t be able to read for like at least 5 weeks, hence my understandable anger about the matter

Like it’s not that I missed a chapter, I just literally can’t read the next ones cause only raws are out

But I do see why people would disagree with this being a rule
According to this logic, TikTok also need to ban members for not adding spoilers since 90% anime videos from TikTok are spoilers. Be realistic. The rule is stupid.

If borderline nsfw profile pics are fine, then spoiler pics are fine. If spoiler pics are deemed wrong, then borderline nsfw profile pics should also be wrong.

If borderline nsfw profile pics are fine, then spoiler pics are fine. If spoiler pics are deemed wrong, then borderline nsfw profile pics should also be wrong.
Which means that AKM Sama can no longer have his anime girls in revealing bikinis as profile pictures. sadly.

Which means that AKM Sama can no longer have his anime girls in revealing bikinis as profile pictures. sadly.
i was thinking the more literal naked blue chick with her boobs out that they had as their signature, but yeah that aswell. Tired of these coomer pfps, which imo are far worse then any spoiler pfps.

Those are two completely different issues, the reasons for disliking the former aren't the same for disliking the latter.

As for the actual subject at hand, I'm not really inclined to add unnecessary restrictions to how people choose to express themselves through imagery, I'm doubtful anyone using an image that contains a spoiler is doing it out of want to spoil others to the content but rather because they thought it looked cool.

What i was saying was if we’re gunna be fine with restricting the masses, might aswell go for the home run. 1984 and whatnot can come later for all i care.

Back