• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Probability Spaces

You are talking about probability space. Please, for God's sake, read what this Wikipedia indicates. I am very well of what I am talking here.
In matter of fact; MWI is very much your interpretation in the entire discussion subconsciously.
And what does this have to do with what I said about the relationship between probability and time? I mean... I still don't have the answer to what's on my mind, but whatever.

Because we are discussing probability space and not probability. This is distinct. And in matter of fact, probability does not require time to exist. It's a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It exists as an abstract concept and can be applied to various scenarios and events regardless of time.

Altho in practical terms, it may be involved, but that's a different topic. Also, it's extremely derailing.
My point here is that for the possibility, a living and progressing plot, that is, a continuous story, is necessary. And for this, a linear time is required. And there is a continuity of time in a verse that is usually a manipulation of probability.
Also, from where is this definition comes? This is not definitely what “probability” originally means.

Because we are discussing probability space and not probability. This is distinct. And in matter of fact, probability does not require time to exist. It's a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It exists as an abstract concept and can be applied to various scenarios and events regardless of time.
Then I guess I confused it with "probability"
Also, from where is this definition comes? This is not definitely what “probability” originally means.
That is, the possibility that a story or event is expected to happen, but still not entirely certain. And in order for this event to continue or happen, there has to be a "continuity", and this requires a time continuum. Well, I guess, That's what I had in mind, I hope I made myself clear.

Quantum mechanics would be irrelevant here, actually...
It's not in this case I was just using to show how time can't be uncaused lol
My point here is that for the possibility, a living and progressing plot, that is, a continuous story, is necessary. And for this, a linear time is required. And there is a continuity of time in a verse that is usually a manipulation of probability.
I'm confused on the plot point, there are fictional characters beyond and can still cause change and atemporal fiction characters who can be changed and cause change themselves so.
I don't know what the theory of form is doing here. This philosophical thought of Plato is based on the idea that only non-physical forms represent the truest reality. In other words, it is a mentality that paves the way for metaphysics to some extent. But it has nothing to do with probability.
It's an analogy, "something atemporal can be changed hence change happens independent of temporality".
Quantum mechanics is usually relevant in MWI, but I'm not talking about MWI.
I didn't even talk about mwi here, I'm talking about the universe being probabilistic which denounces it being deterministic which by extension denounces eternalism which denounces the possibility of time being eternal in an actual infinity sense but because potential infinity also has a beginning even if was eternal in a potential infinity sense it would still be caused/have a beginning.
That is, the possibility that a story or event is expected to happen, but still not entirely certain. And in order for this event to continue or happen, there has to be a "continuity", and this requires a time continuum
That's why you'd have to posit change being dependent on temporality by necessity but we know this isn't the case so something can be actualized without time existing.

Time exist in our universe, it existing means its logically possible that time exist and the possibility is actualized but time is not uncaused and eternal therefore at one point the possibility of time existing was actualized regardless of time existing for it to be actualized. If possible outcomes needed time to be actualized then time wouldn't actualize itself if time didn't exist beforehand.

It's not in this case I was just using to show how time can't be uncaused lol

It's an analogy, "something atemporal can be changed hence change happens independent of temporality".

I didn't even talk about mwi here, I'm talking about the universe being probabilistic which denounces it being deterministic which by extension denounces eternalism which denounces the possibility of time being eternal in an actual infinity sense but because potential infinity also has a beginning even if was eternal in a potential infinity sense it would still be caused/have a beginning.

That's why you'd have to posit change being dependent on temporality by necessity but we know this isn't the case so something can be actualized without time existing.

Time exist in our universe, it existing means its logically possible that time exist and the possibility is actualized but time is not uncaused and eternal therefore at one point the possibility of time existing was actualized regardless of time existing for it to be actualized. If possible outcomes needed time to be actualized then time wouldn't actualize itself if time didn't exist beforehand.
I know what you mean, more or less. Btw we don't always assume that.

We assume time to be eternal for tiering purposes, but there is no proof of this.

I know what you mean, more or less. Btw we don't always assume that.
At the end of the day, the point is it depends on the fictional verse. That's why I said it's high 3-A because it's not like it directly posits the existence of a temporal dimension, so we can't infer existing because change happens when change is something that can happen without it.

I don't think it's high 3-A either. It's stated to be world, without any additional context, it could refer to planet or universe or anything else. Its contextual dependence in my opinion.

At the end of the day, the point is it depends on the fictional verse. That's why I said it's high 3-A because it's not like it directly posits the existence of a temporal dimension, so we can't infer existing because change happens when change is something that can happen without it.
If there is no time continuum imperative. I think this space would be 3-A rather than H3-A.

May you show me that in wiki? Since I surely did not miss that part.
It's there. In the sample space page, it's denoted for using the omega symbol after that elaborated on how this infinite set/sample space contains possible outcomes {s1, s2, s3, s4,..... N}.

Furthermore there's an explanation of the functions in the probability space page, the function being "P : F ⇒ [0, 1]" . In which [0, 1] is a closed interval of 0 and 1 which is an uncountable set.

It says it could be infinite, finite or even uncountable infinite. There is no definitive set. I take it as 3-A till proven otherwise.

Well, you said “cannot”, so I was commenting on that part, but alright

“Cannot” refers to something that is impossible or not allowed, while “usually” refers to something that happens frequently or in most cases.

No, they both serves different purposes and no way they are in the same set.

Last edited:
“Cannot” refers to something that is impossible or not allowed, while “usually” refers to something that happens frequently or in most cases.
Definitions need not be generalized at the cost of context.

"cannot" can refer to something impossible. However contextually that's not the case by necessity; I can say "I usually cannot go outside without an umbrella when it's raining" that's not equivalent to "it is impossible for me to go outside without an umbrella when it's raining".
No, they both serves different purposes and no way they are in the same set.
You can have an affirmative term and it's negation in one sentence and still form a semantically intelligible and coherent sentence. Oxymorons can be used to form coherent sentences.

"I usually cannot go outside when it's raining without an umbrella, but I went outside today" under normal circumstances I cannot go outside when it's raining without an umbrella but I went outside today.

Let's agree to disagree.

Besides your analogy is false, since in your original comment you did not say “but” to create negation. You created a contradictory sentence.

Sure, not that I disagree with it, but the original statement had “always” which make it confusing to interpret your intention. Apologies

Back