• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Predicting the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vietthai96

He/Him
Hi everybody. This is the first Staff Thread i make since the day i'm joined this community 0.0, regarding an issue i come across
Like the Title said we have this "famous" ability:

So the ability mostly based on character who can predict or see into near future (mostly for fighting purpose by gaining near future knowledge so user can act accordingly to counter whatever will come at them), the problem while the ability is treated as supernatural power, some character can predicting through scientific, logical or intellectual mean. Prime example is fighter predicting and anticipating each other move to act,........we currently solve this problem as using the word: Analytical Prediction and link it to Precognition page, result in a problem that people could confuse it with actual Precognition. So we have 2 proposals for this situation:
1. A separated page for Analytical Prediction - which predict through intellectual, scientific mean
2. My proposal is we still keep the way it currently is, but need a better, more detailed explaination in Precognition page. And this is my rough draft
Precognition is the ability to see the future. The specifics of the ability, and whether or not they can act on the information they see to change the future, differs depending on the user and verse. The ability may only be useful for the short term; or it may be best for the long term. Precognition can allow characters to react to attacks faster than they'd normally be able to react to. The information it provides may be complex and intricate, or simple and limited, if not inaccurate, while other forms of precognition may be much more accurate.

Analytical Prediction is a sub-type of Precognition, rather than a supernatural abilities, it is based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observation, mathematical, intellectual predictions, or through some unspecified magical or astronomical means, among any other number of abilities.
Also, there are some characters who can predict their opponent by using supernatural power to read their thought (which we know as Mind Reading or something similar), and from that know their next intention are, to act accordingly and counter, how do we solve this....

well this is all, and thanks in advance for everyone who participated in this thread ^^

Edit: I decide to change a bit regarding the point 1 (nothing major though) as i previously think Antvasima suggest that we separate the ability, so a huge sorry to him for misunderstanding

Last edited:
Also, there are some characters who can predict their opponent by using supernatural power to read their thought (which we know as Mind Reading or something similar), and from that know their next intention are, to act accordingly and counter, how do we solve this....
It's still analytical prediction but through an supernatural means so mind reading and analytical prediction should cover this

It's still analytical prediction but through an supernatural means so mind reading and analytical prediction should cover this
well actually i already did this with this guy, but still want opinion from other member if there is any better solution =.=

I like this idea, and it’s crazy that we haven’t split it up yet
I hope that you do not suggest that we should split up the page itself, as we merged the previous pages together. Expanding on the current pages should be enough.

Analytical Prediction pure skill based thing, its taking information from your surroundings in the present and predicting what happens in future. Method can be mathematical, behavioral or combat based. Its purely a sensory and intelligence feat in the present.

While...

Precognition is a supernatural ability which allows user to directly look into the future itself. Whether via visions or prophecy etc.

Former cannot be resisted by a opponent because there is nothing to resist here but latter can be resisted same way one would resist extrasensory perception.

So clearly they are distinctly different abilities which require different counters.

So they should be separated accordingly.

I hope that you do not suggest that we should split up the page itself, as we merged the previous pages together. Expanding on the current pages should be enough.
I mean in general, or emphasizing the difference on the latest page at the least

Analytical Prediction pure skill based thing, its taking information from your surroundings in the present and predicting what happens in future. Method can be mathematical, behavioral or combat based. Its purely a sensory and intelligence feat in the present.
AAAAAAActually, there are character who can "resist" Analytical Prediction ^^

Just to clarify, unlike what was claimed in the OP, I have never said that we should separate the page. I just want us to expand on the current page to list the two different types.

Just to clarify, unlike what was claimed in the OP, I have never said that we should separate the page. I just want us to expand on the current page to list the two different types.
...............................I think you give out the idea of separate the ability back in that Goku thread =.=

AAAAAAActually, there are character who can "resist" Analytical Prediction ^^
Thats not what is happening actually.
Thats like saying you can resist me doing mathematics in my head. Thats just wrong. I am not afflicting you with anything to begin with.
At best you can disturb me or misdirect me.
But thats not resisting.

Same way dodging or blocking a punch isn't """resistance to punching hax""".

...............................I think you give out the idea of separate the ability back in that Goku thread =.=
That is not what I intended. You seem to have misunderstood.

We've had this discussion in the past. If you want to emphasize it better on the page, sure, I think that's fine, though Analytical Prediction can absolutely still be resisted.

Thats not what is happening actually.
Thats like saying you can resist me doing mathematics in my head. Thats just wrong. I am not afflicting you with anything to begin with.
At best you can disturb me or misdirect me.
But thats not resisting.

Same way dodging or blocking a punch isn't """resistance to punching hax""".
Actually there are, Servant Assassin from Fate Stay Night iirc have an ability which make his skill and movement can't be readed and predicted

Not really, I am all for just better explanation.
But my point was they should be better explained to display their strengths and weakness and their differences in general.
I referred to this comment:

Anyway, let's wait for our staff instead of spamming here.

Former cannot be resisted by a opponent because there is nothing to resist here but latter can be resisted same way one would resist extrasensory perception.
You can "resist" in the sense that you can be completely unpredictable, I believe it was Deadpool who gave Taskmaster a hard time because of that.

What do you think about this?
Any decent explanation of abilities is welcome in my opinion, I have no problems with the Precognition page stating the ways they relate but are still completely different.

Thank you for the replies. Is it fine if we expand a bit on the current page then, rather than split it in two again?

@Antvasima
Sorry for that.😅.

@Abstractions @Ogbunabali
Hmm..well okay with supernatural Analytical Prediction, I have some issues with it. But its okay for now.

My point was Analytical Prediction still is something that happens in present tense and then calculates/guess outcome for the future.
But precognition directly looks into the future itself.
Thats the fundamental difference I wanted to emphasize.

Good point. Expanding on the current page should be fine since we already went through the trouble of combining the pages.

The pages WERE split and we already put them back together. If you really want just expand the information already on the page. I don't see any point in it at all though. A power like this can be done in so many different ways with variable uses in different situations - it should be explained on a character's page.

"Analytical Prediction is a sub-type of Precognition, rather than a supernatural abilities, it is based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observation, mathematical, intellectual predictions, or through some unspecified magical or astronomical means"

Also this is just wrong, I wrote the page, and the second paragraph lists a number of different ways precognition could be done; the latter two are absolutely not Analytical Prediction, so please try and read the page next time.

"Analytical Prediction is a sub-type of Precognition, rather than a supernatural abilities, it is based on reading the minute body movements of an opponent, predicting their actions through observation, mathematical, intellectual predictions, or through some unspecified magical or astronomical means"

Also this is just wrong, I wrote the page, and the second paragraph lists a number of different ways precognition could be done; the latter two are absolutely not Analytical Prediction, so please try and read the page next time.
Nah it is just rough draft, it will change though, but again predicting action, movement, etc...is hardly precognition, so i think we should have better and more detailed explaination for these kind of thing.

Need to sleep because it is 1am in my country though and also work after that, so sorry everyone

It is precognition, it's just not as good as other forms of precognition. We don't need to make a page for a variation of it, nor do we need to elaborate on every specific way that precognition can be done. Specifics should be on character pages.

What Zara and Prom said. We already discussed this before and this was the conclusion we came up with.

Isn't this technically something you resist by having Resistance to Information Analysis? Since it is the end goal of Analyctical Prediction and they, well, analyse how you behave to react accordingly.
If so, I think it should be noted as one of the major difference.

It really depends on the resistance. Conventional resistance to being supernaturally analyzed won't help against someone predicting your actions based on your behavior.

It depends on a case by case - some info analysis can take just some aspects like your powers, aura, health status, body functions, etc. You won't get resistance to precog/analytical prediction if you only have shown to resist to info analysis that only give to the foe something that doesn't have any connection with prediction/precog.

That why rather than splitting the page i want it to have better detail, explaination on different kind of precognition/prediction
It already does tho? Adding any more details would just make stuff redundant.

Besides, Analytical Prediction is still a form of Precog, just instead of using supernatural powers to literally see the future directly, you brute force your way with skill alone to figure out the exact moment where and when an attack will strike or where and when an event will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back