• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potential MLP Tier 4-A Feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several of the comics tie into episodes, but some of them have been contradicted by the TV series itself, and from what I remember, the show writers do not consider them as canon.

Antvasima said:
Several of the comics tie into episodes, but some of them have been contradicted by the TV series itself, and from what I remember, the show writers do not consider them as canon.
Well does anything contradict what happened in the show, in the comic?

Not really. I mean aren't these specific comics supposed to be canon? And not completely true. If an episode acknowledges comic events then,l the events of that comic would be cannon.

Imo, as long as tie in comics, don't contradict anything, or don't get contradicted thenselves, then they shoukd be canon.

Currently nothing contradicts issue 57 to my knowledge and it ties into Discordant Harmony so I think it's fair game in that case

From the top of my head, I think that Azathoth has cited a mention from the TV series writers that the comics are not canon to the show, and the Dazzlings were banished in extremely different ways in each of the continuities.

In any case, we have talked about this several times before, and it has been consistently rejected. As such, I would appreciate if you permanently drop the subject.

Antvasima said:
From the top of my head, I think that Azathoth has cited a mention from the TV series writers that the comics are not canon to the show, and the Dazzlings were banished in extremely different ways in each of the continuities.
Isn't the movie prequel cannon? The comics as a whole aren't canon, But the ones that get referenced by the show are, as it would imply they happened. Wasn't that citing a list of rules the comic writers had to follow if they wanted to use Hasbro material? I didn't see anything explicitly saying the comics aren't cannon, just that Hasbro isn't inclined to follow comic canon, and can "keep it or leave it".

In practical terms it means that we only acknowledge comicbook stories that have been later accurately referenced within the TV show itself, and consider the others part of their own separate continuity.

Antvasima said:
In practical terms it means that we only acknowledge comicbook stories that have been later accurately referenced within the TV show itself, and consider the others part of their own separate continuity.
What about S7 comics? Didn't someone on the wiki say someone from the show say the comics were part of the continuity for this season? Come to think of it, who actually said that?

To put it simply, the comics continuity is a mess if you try to match it with the actual show. For example, in the show, Ponies know next to nothing about dragons, since they're to violent and powerful to reliably study, thus, dragons don't live in or near Equestria. In the comics, there's just dragons living in major pony cities ("Dragon Town" for example) and theirs even dragon authors and dragon artists who make stuff in Equestria. No one makes a big deal out of it at all and it's seen as a pretty normal thing.

Spike's backstory in the comics also contradicts WoG significantly (but I muuuuuch prefer the comics take on it so I don't mind it). Theirs also oddities too, like how Twilight, Lyra and Trixie all went to school with each other, in the same classes no less, yet don't know each other i the show at first. Also, I'm pretty sure Hoofbeard was supposed to be a dead pirate from hundreds of years ago in the show, but he's alive in the comics. Oh, and theirs an entire kingdom of deer in the Everfree forest, complete with a massive castle and sprawling city that is never brought up at any point of the show as far as I know.

And that's not even getting into the international comics. Whoo boy, those can be a mess.

That said, the Season 7 comics were confirmed to be canon by a few authors if I recall. And I'm pretty sure the Legends of Magic series is supposed to be canon, despite a few minor chronology hiccups (like Starswirl having blue-prints for Canterlot Castle instead of Castle of Friendship). For what it's worth, I think Issues 11-12 may be canon since Oubliettes and Ogres has been referenced in the show before.

@Darkanine

Thank you for the help.

@Js250476

Our rules state that we only count the comics that have been accurately referenced within the TV show.

Antvasima said:
@Darkanine

Thank you for the help.

@Js250476

Our rules state that we only count the comics that have been accurately referenced within the TV show.
Sooo no to the comic for S7? I mean if the authors from the show themselves think those specific comics are canon, then why shouldn't we, so long as they stay true to the show?

I'm sorry, really I am, I know how you might be exhausted, I'm just trying to cover all possible bases. If you want to drop this then just say the word, but I did have one more question regarding Discord that no one has answered.

@Darkanine

Do you have any reference for any authors stating that season 7 comics are canon? It would contradict our current rule that I think Azathoth helped to create.

There is a massive difference between the comics building on TV stories, and TV episodes building on and referencing comics stories. The TV show is mostly canon to the comics, but the comics are not canon to the TV show, as the quote I referenced earlier stated.

Js250476 said:
Yeah if someone enters his dimension then can take his power or weaken him iirc
Not neccesarily. That mostly happened because Discord was away, and the dimension latched itself to someone else who was there. I don't think it would happen with Discord in there.

Good point the weakened Thing was cause of almost being wiped from existence iirc and it's even said a normal pony would go insane in there so I guess only someone like Pinkie could take his dimension from him

But the tie-in comics cam out much earlier and I presume take place earlier in the timeline. In this case, it would be the show building into the comics.

Also, theirs a a number twitter quotes that say the comics are canon, and some that say they're not. Since these are billed as the exceptions, then they should be fine.

Darkanine said:
But the tie-in comics cam out much earlier and I presume take place earlier in the timeline. In this case, it would be the show building into the comics.

Also, theirs a a number twitter quotes that say the comics are canon, and some that say they're not. Since these are billed as the exceptions, then they should be fine.
^^This
Yeah, I don't think we can use the standard comic rules, on comics that are supposed to be exceptions to them.

The comics writers were likely simply informed about the storylines of the next season beforehand, but without the TV show accurately referencing them, we still have the official clarification statement that I linked to earlier.

We have our rules regarding this, so I would appreciate if you would adhere to them, or at least talk with Azathoth about the issue.

Antvasima said:
The comics writers were likely simply informed about the storylines of the next season beforehand, but without the TV show accurately referencing them, we still have the official clarification statement that I linked to earlier.

We have our rules regarding this, so I would appreciate if you would adhere to them, or at least talk with Azathoth about the issue.
We don't know that though.
Js already contacted him, but he hasn't responded yet.

Yeah Azzy is a busy guy but I've contacted him a while ago he should be here eventually I could message him again if I have to

Js250476 said:
I hope so as well
I mean, the authors themselves consider these comics canon, and happened long before the episodes even aired, meaning the episodes essentially referenced the comics.

The authors may have denounced previous comics, but from what I know of Dark's statement, they did the exact opposite with this specific set of comics. IMO, we don't need an explicit reference, when WoG considers them canon. They consider previous comics to be non-canon. Therefore the rules we have are for previous comics are there in the event that the show confirms them as having happened.

But these comics are different, they shouldn't have to follow these rules, because they already have confirmation directly from the source. They weren't denied as canon, the opposite happened actually.

TL;DR the situation is completely different with statements from WoG. Story writers for Goku said they had no intent of making him any stronger than Beerus, look at him now. Things change.

@Lightbuster30

We need reliable proof that directly contradict their previous explicit statements in order to make exceptions. So far I have not seen any.

Antvasima said:
@Lightbuster30

We need reliable proof that directly contradict their previous explicit statements in order to make exceptions. So far I have not seen any.
Are their own counter statements not enough? They didn't even deny the older comics, they just don't use it.

Thank you Azathoth. I suppose that we should close this thread then.

Also, Darkanine, I would appreciate if you do not bring up the matter again in the future. Thank you.

The episode still referenced the comic, as according to Dark: The comic came first.

But I still have question regsrding a new ability for Discord that hasn't been answered. Specifically erasure, on the grounds that he has made objects dissapear in tbe same way he makes his creations dissapear. I could post an example if needed.

Comicbook writers are recurrently informed about upcoming plots in the TV series the comics are based on in advance.

If both a comicbook editor and TV series writer state outright that the two continuities are separate from each other, the TV series is most definitely not based on the comicbooks.

I am getting extremely tired of this topic, and would much prefer to close it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back