• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Thanos lifting strength upgrade

Currently, Thanos' lifting strength is from him scaling to the Hulk, who pushed up against the weight of a Star. While Thanos should certainly be capable of this, in my opinion, he should be upgraded, as Thanos lifted the Galactus Engine (Thanos: A God Up There Listening). This is the same Galactus Engine that pushed Ego against his will (Thor #228), with Ego being larger than Solar Systems (Thanos: A God Up There Listening). I'm not super familiar with the Lifting Strength system, but I think this is either Stellar or Multi-Stellar. Either way, it's still an upgrade from his current rating of scaling to pushing against the weight of a Star. I have some other Thanos related stuff planned, but I think it might be better for another time.

Also, my bad if I'm not able to make this thread at this time. I think I should be fine though.

Wait how does this work?

In that Ego scan, the Engine was pushing Ego with its rockets, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the mass of the Engine itself. Thanos doesn't seem to overpowers the rocket, just lift the Engine itself.

Also, isn't Ego supposed to be the size of Earth's moon normally (could be wrong on that).

Am I missing something?

The Engine also seems to have vastly different sizes between the two comics but that could be just art inconsistency.

Yeah I think that's just an art inconsistency? It's also clearly firing here, and I don't think I've ever seen Ego called moon sized.

Yeah I think that's just an art inconsistency? It's also clearly firing here, and I don't think I've ever seen Ego called moon sized.
Ok I just looked up the comic.

It seems the part of the Engine Thanos fired was the weapon/blaster side of it.

You can see what appears to be rocket boosters in the back and those aren't fired at all.
Image 1 (look on the back side of the Engine)
Image 2 (you can see only the front is fired).

And it is described as a weapon, so I guess that solidifies it more?

And the same story seems to have Thanos resorting to using a weapon that the narration describes as being able to destroy stars.

If Thanos is portrayed as not being able destroy a star on his own in the same specific story (the next page no less), would solar system strength scaling from this specific comic make sense?

But I only skimmed through this comic, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Ok I just looked up the comic.

It seems the part of the Engine Thanos fired was the weapon/blaster side of it.

You can see what appears to be rocket boosters in the back and those aren't fired at all.
Image 1 (look on the back side of the Engine)
Image 2 (you can see only the front is fired).

And it is described as a weapon, so I guess that solidifies it more?
I see your point, but I don't think it's too safe of an assumption to say that just because it has two sides, one must be a blaster and the other a rocket. While it is called a weapon, that's because Thanos used it as such. It's supposed to be a transportation device, after all.
And the same story seems to have Thanos resorting to using a weapon that the narration describes as being able to destroy stars.

If Thanos is portrayed as not being able destroy a star on his own in the same specific story (the next page no less), would stellar scaling from this specific comic make sense?

But I only skimmed through this comic, so I could be wrong.
I mean, it doesn't say it caps at destroying stars so I'm not sure I get your point here. Especially considering it "made Ego question his mortality" when the same comic puts him above Solar System level in size.

I see your point, but I don't think it's too safe of an assumption to say that just because it has two sides, one must be a blaster and the other a rocket. While it is called a weapon, that's because Thanos used it as such. It's supposed to be a transportation device, after all.

I mean, it doesn't say it caps at destroying stars so I'm not sure I get your point here. Especially considering it "made Ego question his mortality" when the same comic puts him above Solar System level in size.
TBF, I just rechecked and the narration does say that the vast power of the Engine transported Ego through the cosmos (implying it is the same power), so you could be right.
Image 1

About the star thing, true but the narration is there to imply the power of the weapon and therefore it would also be implying that Thanos had to resort to to use a tool with the described power (but who exactly is narrating this?).

TBF, I just rechecked and the narration does say that the vast power of the Engine transported Ego through the cosmos (implying it is the same power), so you could be right.
Image 1
You're right, thanks for pointing that out.
About the star thing, true but the narration is there to imply the power of the weapon and therefore it would also be implying that Thanos had to resort to to use a tool with the described power (but who exactly is narrating this?).
Well...
  1. Even if I were to stealman this, Thanos' AP in this issue not being Star Level doesn't mean his Lifting Strength isn't.
  2. "The stars themselves" is used pretty commonly in Marvel to just sound impressive. Like, Odin and Seth's clash that destroyed Galaxies was said to be able to "extinguish the stars themselves". And I feel my previous counter still stands.
I think it's just a normal narrator? It's clearly not Thanos, as it addresses him as "he".

Well...
  1. Even if I were to stealman this, Thanos' AP in this issue not being Star Level doesn't mean his Lifting Strength isn't.
  2. "The stars themselves" is used pretty commonly in Marvel to just sound impressive. Like, Odin and Seth's clash that destroyed Galaxies was said to be able to "extinguish the stars themselves". And I feel my previous counter still stands.
I think it's just a normal narrator? It's clearly not Thanos, as it addresses him as "he".
That is true but doesn't AP scale to Lifting at some point depending on how fast something is pushed or sth? For example, even in this comic itself it seems to be used that way (Thanos weaponizing the Engine). Thanos would have to actively resist that power, so wouldn't that scale to AP based on this? I could be wrong.

I mean Ego is scared of that weapon and yet he defeated Thanos without much trouble right before (unless there was context there) to the point that Thanos had to resort to using that Engine, and this would be the same Thanos that would be stronger than the Engine force Ego is afraid of if we asumed Thanos actually scales above the Engine.

I uh, don't know actually. You'd probably have to ask someone else on that. Also, to be clear, I'm not saying Thanos' lifting necessarily scales above the engine, but that he scales to it. At least to a further degree than Ego did.

I uh, don't know actually. You'd probably have to ask someone else on that. Also, to be clear, I'm not saying Thanos' lifting necessarily scales above the engine, but that he scales to it. At least to a further degree than Ego did.
Hmm, he did seem like he struggled to Ego tho (Thanos getting thrown around by him on his surface while the same Thanos didn't budge from the Engine blast), but IDK. This is the last thing I'l say in this thread regardless of if I'm right or wrong (not trying to sound aggressive, I'm just tired of the discussion).

"face larger thana solar system" sounds like a complete hyperbole/exaggeration to Ego's obvious and constantly potrayed planet sizes.

I don't really see how that's hyperbolic? It's just the narrator saying he's larger than a Solar System, that's pretty much it. Also, genuinely asking since I'm not too sure myself, is he really consistently limited to planetary sizes?

I don't really see how that's hyperbolic? It's just the narrator saying he's larger than a Solar System, that's pretty much it. Also, genuinely asking since I'm not too sure myself, is he really consistently limited to planetary sizes?
he is usually planet sized but he can change his size so him being larger than a solar system is normal

Ego has generally been treated as not being vastly larger than the Earth and being badly damaged from being launched into the Earth's Sun as far as I am aware. Being larger than a solar system is massive hyperbole.

Or that is what I recall from John Byrne's Fantastic Four, Kurt Busiek's Maximum Security crossover, and other stories in any case.

I do not think that he has ever demonstrated it to anywhere near such a degree in any story. It seems like flowery language.

Yeah there's a rather large gap between "Can change size" and "Can become over 702,000 times more massive"

Within Maximum Security and the Fantastic Four stories, he is shown beside other planets, and is of just slightly larger size, and I think that his size was stated in the 1980s handbook as well.

The second link doesn't work, but there is a notable difference between him absorbing enough material to grow larger and him being able to do so on a whim.

Qawsedf234 is correct, and the second link does not work without logging in, yes.

Back