• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Possible) Salem Immortality Downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitreya12

Bronze Supporter
So I’ve come to notice that on Salem’s profile page she has both immortality type 5 and type 8 listed on her profile.

Type 5 I have no idea where it comes from to be completely honest. Type 5 immortality is considered “deathless immortality” where the person has be totally unbound by life and death typically by transcending the concepts or by straight up not existing at all. Salem I don’t think meets either requirements and I don’t really find a good explanation on why she has it in the first place, nor do I find the evidence compelling either so I believe it should be removed.

Immortality type 8 I also kind of have an issue with. According to the evidence, this is gifted to Salem and Ozpin because of the statement the from the GOL and the GOD saying “as long as this world turns you will walk it’s face.” And that is taken on the wiki to mean that Salem’s immortality is reliant on Remnant’s existence.

My issue is that why are we taking this statement hyper literally? According to this logic, if I took Salem to outer space and destroyed Remant DBZ style, then she would just straight up die without me having to even touch her. Which doesn’t really make sense to take this saying to such an extreme. The statements works just fine in the figurative sense that as long as the world keeps turning, Salem will keep walking its face because she is immortal. Not that her immortality is reliant on Remnant existing in the first place. So I believe type 8 should probably be removed from the profiles as well.

So yeah….RWBY immortality downgrade, hate to see it.

Last edited:
Her Immortality section should just be reworked in general, it doesn't mention or have any examples for her other immortalities whatsoever. Agreed.

Disagree with type 8 getting removed due to how her immortality is worded is that as long as the world turns she shall walk it's face basically implies she can't die so long as the planet exists and is basically proven when her whole plan Is to summon the gods to blow up the planet to finally die, at worst its possibly type 8

Disagree with type 8 getting removed due to how her immortality is worded is that as long as the world turns she shall walk it's face basically implies she can't die so long as the planet exists and is basically proven when her whole plan Is to summon the gods to blow up the planet to finally die, at worst its possibly type 8
Doesn't it make more sense to say "as long as the planet continues to rotate" rather than "it means that it will not die as long as the planet exists"?

I really don’t see any reasons or need to take the statement as hyper literal that Salem’s immortality is reliant on Remnant’s existence. The statement can work just fine in the figurative sense of “as long as this planet turns, you’ll keep walking it’s face” because she’s immortal, not that her immortality is reliant on Remnant’s existence.

In fact the way the statement is phrased the type 8 wouldn’t even be based on Remnant’s existence, it would be based on Remnant “turning.” Like if we took this statement as is, then what would happen if I just stopped the planet’s rotation super man style? Does Salem just collapse? I don’t even need to do anything to her or the planet itself, I just need to stop it turning to kill her. I don’t personally find it compelling evidence in all honesty.

Also there’s no evidence the two brothers would destroy the entire planet upon their return, they could just as easily kill all of humanity like last time without blowing up the planet like last time, so there’s really no confirmation there either.

Disagree on type 8 removal. Salem's whole plan on dying hinges on the gods destroying Remnant, which they told Ozpin they would do in The Lost Fable:

God of Light: "But if your kind is unchanged, if you demand our blessings while still fighting amongst yourselves, then man will be found irredeemable and your world will be wiped from existence."

And later when telling Hazel about Salem's goal, Oz tells him those exact words as stated:

Ozpin: "So long as this world turns, you shall walk its face". That was the curse cast upon her. But if Salem can divide Humanity beyond repair, and bring all four Relics together, she believes that maybe her curse will be broken. The Gods will rule against us and destroy Remnant, once and for all.

Both of these instances show that what they said wasn't figurative at all. Her immortality is tied to Remnants existence.

That definitely sounds like some strong evidence for Type 8 Immortality, which is again more confusing why it isn't on her profile yet. I still don't understand why does she have all those other Immortality types listed, looks like only Type 1 and 8 make sense.

That definitely sounds like some strong evidence for Type 8 Immortality, which is again more confusing why it isn't on her profile yet. I still don't understand why does she have all those other Immortality types listed, looks like only Type 1 and 8 make sense.

What do you mean? Its listed on her profile at the top. Also, I believe Weekly made a case for type 5 so I'm unsure, but types 2 and 3 derive from her regeneration.

I meant scans and statements for all of her immortalities. Only Type 1 and 8 seem to have actual evidence backing them up, but they haven't been added to her Immortality section yet.
Her scans for type 2 and 3 are located in the regeneration and Supernatural Willpower section since that made more sense to put them there. But they can be moved if needed. As for her type 1 and 8, the references at the end should be the scans and statements no?

Disagree on type 8 removal. Salem's whole plan on dying hinges on the gods destroying Remnant, which they told Ozpin they would do in The Lost Fable:

God of Light: "But if your kind is unchanged, if you demand our blessings while still fighting amongst yourselves, then man will be found irredeemable and your world will be wiped from existence."

And later when telling Hazel about Salem's goal, Oz tells him those exact words as stated:

Ozpin: "So long as this world turns, you shall walk its face". That was the curse cast upon her. But if Salem can divide Humanity beyond repair, and bring all four Relics together, she believes that maybe her curse will be broken. The Gods will rule against us and destroy Remnant, once and for all.

Both of these instances show that what they said wasn't figurative at all. Her immortality is tied to Remnants existence.
This is much better evidence for type 8 immortality. Though I still don’t see evidence for type 5 immortality.

The only thing I might see as possibly being evidence I would disagree with the interpretation used for type 5. But I’d like to hear the case for it.

This is much better evidence for type 8 immortality. Though I still don’t see evidence for type 5 immortality.

The only thing I might see as possibly being evidence I would disagree with the interpretation used for type 5. But I’d like to hear the case for it.

You’d have to ask Weekly as they were the one to make the thread adding it.

I didn't say Type 5 can stay, just Type 2 and 3. I'm still iffy on Type 5, unless there's more context behind that "soul transcends death" thing.
Yeah I’m pretty sure the context of that statement isn’t something like “I transcend the very nature of death itself” and more so “I can’t die so I transcend death.” Which wouldn’t grant type 5.

Especially considering she said this statement in reference to both her and Ozpin, who doesn’t have type 5 listed and is only immortal through reincarnation I don’t find the “transcend death” line to mean in any meaningful way that would lead to type 5 immortality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back