• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibility Manipulation?

What ability would destroying someone's possibility or destroying a possibility fall under?

What ability would being able to destroy all possibilities fall under?

Yes! You might be on to something there. Although fate deals with more controlling the future, this is more of destroying the chance for something to exist or happen, but that too can be connected to fate manipulation.

Destroying possibilities in itself is not an AP feat, just Fate Shenanigans. There are verses where possibilities are synonyms for alternate universes, but said verses require in depth explanations or backed up scans.

Destroying possibilities in itself is not an AP feat, just Fate Shenanigans. There are verses where possibilities are synonyms for alternate universes, but said verses require in depth explanations or backed up scans.
To be fair, the difference between fate and possibility isn't all that clear; at least not in this wiki.

Usually fate, otherwise known as destiny, refers to predetermined outcomes. Beyond that, it gets a little weirder...

One way to distinct fate from destiny is that fate is essentially an outcome that happens no matter what. Destiny, on the other hand, is often the end result of one's own actions.

Another way to determine fate from destiny is that one is a predetermined yet adverse outcome, yet destiny is a predetermined yet positive outcome.

This one came from Wikipedia, so I'll put it in quotes:
Fate is about the present, where every decision an individual has made has led them to their present scenario. However, Destiny is the future scenario determined by decisions an individual will make.

Possibility, on the other hand, is different from fate in that they aren't certainties. Like, think about what would happen since I posted this. There's the possibility that you could not have read this post, the possibility that you could've read this post and just carried on with your day, the possibility that you read this post and wrote some underwhelming response, and the possibility that you could've read this and came up with a thorough response to everything I wrote. There's also the possibility that literally any of the 61 registered online members at the time I've written this post would read this post or even respond to it. An outcome simply exists here; yet that outcome could be anything I've listed here or even something else entirely.

Even then, should one of the outcomes I've listed happens, another string of possibilities would appear. I think it would be easier to explain it all with an analogy. Let's say you have a quarter on your desk. The other things that would come into play will be some spare ribs, Michael Myers, and death by coronary artery disease.

Manipulating possibilities works like this. You move the quarter two inches to the right. A spider can crawl into your room at that moment, or your parents can call you out for dinner thirty minutes later. Heck, they could've even brought you a meal from the local steakhouse. The meal could be some spare ribs or a nice grilled chicken. What did you get? You got the ribs. What could've happen if you left the quarter alone? You would've gotten a spider in your room the moment you looked at the quarter instead, and the ribs probably wouldn't have came to your doorstep. None of this affects Michael Myers not appearing in your home and you dying of coronary artery disease at age 75. Possibilities are just that: immediate.

Manipulating plot (this is often done in cartoons that don't follow a specific storyline unlike Avatar and Steven Universe) works like this. You move the quarter, you get the ribs. You leave the quarter alone, you get the ribs. However, moving the quarter means you would have to deal with Michael Myers breaking into your window and trying to stab you. You successfully nail Michael Myers, but whether you did so or fled the scene instead, that doesn't affect the ultimate fate that you'll pass away from coronary artery disease at age 75. Leaving the quarter alone means Michael Myers doesn't appear in your home; however, you would still die of coronary artery disease at age 75. Plot manipulation essentially affects certainties in a section, yet not the entirety of something.

Manipulating fate works like this. Regardless of whether you move the quarter or leave it alone, you will always get the ribs, Michael Myers will never appear in your house, and you will always die of coronary artery disease at age 75. However, something else happens, changing that ending to you instead die of internal bleeding from a car accident exactly ten years and seventy five days from now. Fate manipulation affects the entirety of the outcome.

Hopefully all of this will explain this conundrum better.

Edit: I forgot probability! The wiki conflates probability with luck, but that's not the case. Luck is essentially events that occur by pure chance rather than one's own actions. Luck can be good or bad: positive and negative. Luck is a general term referring to events that occur by chance.

Probability is just a mathematical concept that numerically determines how likely something will occur and doesn't in any way relate to luck as luck itself is never, eh, numerical. It has no good or bad; just 0 to 1. I really think the wiki should rename Probability Manipulation to Luck Manipulation because of the stark differences and visible disconnection between probability and luck, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Thanks for that detailed response! Yes, I do think fate and possibility are a bit different. Fate manipulation seems more of controlling something that will or has to happen. Where as for possibility, if you create a possibility, there is no guarantee for that it will happen but it can happen. But if you destroy a possibility, it will never happen no matter what!

Possibility Manipulation is just another name for Probability Manipulation, the difference between one and the other is that one is qualitative and the other quantitative. May also be related to Logic Manipulation (was that a power here?).

Possibility Manipulation is just another name for Probability Manipulation, the difference between one and the other is that one is qualitative and the other quantitative. May also be related to Logic Manipulation (was that a power here?).
By the looks of it, Logic Manipulation redirects to Law Manipulation.

Yeah, probability manipulation actually does sound like it fits the definition.

Yeah, probability manipulation actually does sound like it fits the definition.

Back