• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon - Range scaling issues

Overall:
-melee range
-hundreds of meters+ for basic ranged feats
-kilometers for psychic and electric types as well as beam moves and ground moves such as earthquake.
Kilometers or tens of Kilometers? I'm also confused how how we plan on treating the special ranged moves, like Lucario's ranged moves and the other unique ones. But aside from that I suppose this looks fine, although I still have some hesitations on all Pokémon having the same exact range as one another.

Kilometers or tens of Kilometers? I'm also confused how how we plan on treating the special ranged moves, like Lucario's ranged moves and the other unique ones. But aside from that I suppose this looks fine, although I still have some hesitations on all Pokémon having the same exact range as one another.
What makes Lucario's ranged moves "special"? Sure, Aura Sphere is a Special Attack in the same way that Thunderbolt or Psychic or Ember is, but Aura Sphere isn't exclusive. Off the top of my head, Togekiss & Mienshao learn it, just for starts.

If you're talking about signature moves, I can't think of many that are exclusive, but we could assume they have similar range to moves that are performed in a similar manner (Similar power/energy source.), or similar range to other moves performed by the Pokemon, especially in the absence of feats for range.

Special ranged moves that aren't shown to be super linear and specifically long ranged scale to hundreds of meters. So spheres would mostly scale 100s of meters with the exception of psychic types as psystrike and psycho cut are based on their psychic energy. Other stuff like razor leaf, pin missile and attacks like that would also scale to that.

What i wanna scale to kilometers is, like i said, attacks of the same type as hyper beam. Technically some elemental attacks like hydro pump could potentially scale to it as well as it also has the same function and attack. Blast burn, despite inconsistent portrayal, should probably scale to that range as it has the exact same stats and function as hyper beam and is often portrayed as a beam of fire.

All Pokémon wouldn’t be getting the range either, not the kilometers one anyway. That only goes for the higher up evolutionary forms like the 3rd and final stages or Megas (since these beam moves are learned by those stages).

It should be kilometers. Moves like Thunder, for example, use direct cloud-to-ground lightning, and the distance from cloud to ground is definitely kilometers.

All Pokémon wouldn’t be getting the range either, not the kilometers one anyway. That only goes for the higher up evolutionary forms like the 3rd and final stages or Megas (since these beam moves are learned by those stages).
But these moves can be learned by earlier stages even then some final stages are compared to second stage pokemon or don't have these moves.
If we use this logic we will have to do this again we need to look at the moves not the stage the pokemon is at.

Is this from I Choose You?
It would have to be. Going slowly through that GIF, you can very briefly see Marshadow in it. Checking Bulbapedia, Marshadow has only TWO anime appearances:

1. The episode where Ash's Rotomdex's Rotom isn't in its Rotomdex Pokedex. Marshadow appears, but no one notices it EXCEPT for a different Rotomdex.... Which takes a blurry photo of Marshadow & deletes the photo. Stupid ghost robot.

2. The movie I Choose You. Supporting this conclusion is that I can't think of many other very-well-animated scenes showcasing a very heartbroken-looking Pikachu clutching a backpack on top of a mountain with a bunch of other Kanto Pokemon present.

That said, Pikachu in I Choose You does not seem to have it's own profile, & AFAIK, is not a Key for any existing profile.

Last edited:
I am fine with the OP regarding the range.
Overall:
-melee range
-hundreds of meters+ for basic ranged feats
-kilometers for psychic and electric types as well as beam moves and ground moves such as earthquake.
So, this case is the proposal, at least for final evolution? If so, what do lower evolutions get for range?

Not fully

Beam-like attacks, ground shaking attacks, psychic and electric attacks keep the 10s of km rating, while the rest if attacks become either hundreds of meters or melee range
I can't think of any reason to disagree with this, but, if you'll pardon my asking, what was the basis for this?

Back