• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Persona - Empowerment

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
I mentioned a few days ago that I plan on taking a break from Persona threads for a while. And I still do, mind you. I can't lie when I say that Persona threads have given me worse burnout than anything I've ever done on the wiki since joining, so I don't plan on regularly coming back onto many Persona threads. At least, for a little while longer. However, this was just something that's been bugging me too much for a while now, and it's something I think I've finally concluded, so if possible I'd like to discuss it here.

A while back, on the Persona Low 2-C revisions threads, Makoto's feat of surviving Nyx's Death while at minimal health was discussed. I personally suggested the idea that it should be considered a form of Empowerment, which was later agreed upon and implemented. But it didn't take long for me to start having some doubts about my own suggestion.

Empowerment of Durability, by the wiki's standards, should also scale to AP (since the two are always connected by laws of "action and reaction", unless there is explicitly some way that it is shown this is not the case). In this situation, Makoto having the durability to survive Nyx's attack, regardless of whether it was due to his abilities or not, would also mean having the AP to defeat Nyx, yet we see quite clearly this is not the case. Makoto is able to tank Nyx's hits, yet doesn't have the AP on his own to kill Nyx. Since there's nothing here that would make this an exception to the aforementioned rule, it doesn't seem like this could possibly just be a durability boost.

TL;DR for this section. A character can essentially have "haxxed Durability" through things like Regenerationn and Immortality, since these things make them more difficult to kill than a normal person of the same tier. But a direct boost to Durability, regardless of the means, would also increase AP. As such, Empowerment of Durability does not explain Makoto surviving Nyx's attack, due to not having the equivalent AP.

Also, it doesn't seem like it was explicitly caused by Willpower either. While it is undeniable that Makoto was very determined in his final fight against Nyx, it's clear that most of his determination came from the rest of SEES cheering him on. But this doesn't even begin until after Makoto has tanked Nyx using Death twice, so it doesn't seem like that was the catalyst for him to survive at all.

This has been bothering me for quite a long time, as I mentioned before. So, I decided to look into it, moreso than I did when I suggested Empowerment. I have a copy of Persona 3 on hand, and an emulator for PS2 games. This emulator makes editing and looking through the games files for hacking quite easy, so I decided to take a detailed look at what was happening in the final fight.

What I discovered is a skill called "Infinite Endure". Technically, the code itself does not actually call it Infinite Endure, as this is moreso a dubbed name given by other people who have looked into the code as well. However, the skill's function tells us exactly what's happening here. Infinite Endure is a passive skill Makoto upon getting the Universe Arcana. What it does it that whenever he is killed by reaching 0 HP, regardless of the means, he will instantly revive with 1 HP every time.

While this may be considered game mechanics, I'd be inclined to disagree. There is little more information in the battle against Nyx as to what allowed Makoto to survive Death repeatedly, especially since the Empowerment argument I've previously suggested doesn't really work here. Also. the only reason it is not visible in the final battle is because it is a passive skill. This is by far the best way we have of determining what actually let Makoto survive in the final battle.

With this in mind, we can finally determine what ability this should be considered: Resurrection. What happened in that battle, according to the skills used by the Universe Arcana in the final fight, is that Nyx did succeed in one-shotting and killing Makoto repeatedly, but that Makoto resurrected himself each time.

This is perfectly consistent with what we know, as it answers the question in a way that is not at all contradictory, while also ensuring that little to no assumptions are made, and using evidence straight from the game itself regarding how Makoto survived Death.

Another point I would like to bring up is Makoto being able to nullify Death part way through the battle after showing no resistance to it beforehand. I won't go on a long tangent about this one, this is a pretty cut-and-dry case of Reactive Evolution. Makoto gains the power to nullify Nyx's Death attack through having been hit by it several times, it's a textbook example of Reactive Evolution.

Note that I am not suggesting that Empowerment necessarily needs to be removed. All Persona users have Empowerment in some way, as discussed many times before, so it's not unique to Makoto's feat. This is rather just an ability addition for Makoto, as Empowerment does not explain what allowed Makoto to survive in the battle against Nyx, and we now have an official answer within the game itself.

So, my suggested changes:

Makoto Yuki (Universe Arcana): Should have Resurrection, Type 4 Immortality, and Reactive Evolution, due to his abilities demonstrated in the battle against Nyx.

Calling in from holiday.

Honestly, if the Abnormal Endurance page was actually made, it would've been perfect for describing the feats of the protagonists' enduring their respective one-shots/AP-stomps.

I haven't heard about that ability yet, though I think I understand what it is from the name. It seems quite interesting! Even so, with the evidence I've provided, I believe Resurrection best describes it in Makoto's case specifically.

Bump?

The reasoning for Resurrection is really flimsy. For one. Makoto was only ever knocked down at worst. It can't be argued that he actually died when there's an actual death animation in-game and it wasn't used. The best in-game description of what happened was that Makoto endured the attack, like he would with the Endure skill, but several times instead of just once.

According to the standards of the wiki, that can be any of the following:

1. It's Limited Invulnerability when at the point of death so long as the effect is active.
  2. It's a Stamina feat.
  3. It's Game Mechanics.
Since we've obviously ruled out both options 2 and 3, because of how the scene makes it clear that he is on his last legs, and because of that, he can't use the Great Seal until his bonds gave him the energy to heal his injuries, then we're left with option 1.

What? He does enter the Death animation. Just look at the scene again.

Look at around 9:22 in this clip. That's the death animation, and he gets up a few seconds later. He did die, and he resurrected.

I must've missed that then. Even so, his HP is still at 1, not 0. Neither was he specified as having died or resurrected. As far as we know, he was just knocked flat on his back.

I understand your point, but I have to disagree. It is very clearly the death animation, and that animation isn't used anywhere else in the game other than for deaths. And he entered that animation after being hit by an attack that can normally one-shot him while he was already at only 1 HP. He does end up with 1 HP left afterwards while still staying down, but the fact that it pops up instantly probably has more to do with game mechanics (since the notification always pops up instantly for regular endure abilities) rather than how quickly it actually occured.

The validity of the death animation is immediately cancelled out by the fact that his HP bar still lists 1 instead of 0. His HP being zero otherwise appears exactly as often his death animation, and the argument that his death animation appearing only for deaths apply to the HP bar reaching zero as well. This line of reasoning can no longer be followed then, because it contradicts itself.

Meanwhile the Endure skill analogy still applies, since he's still alive and at 1 HP, regardless of the animation used to portray it. Those with the Endure skill would still return to 1 HP even if struck down at 1 HP. And compared to the resurrection theory, this applies to all of the portrayed scenarios in which Makoto is struck by Death, instead of the one time he lands flat on his back.

Well, alright. Let's go with that. Even so, Invulnerability doesn't explain it either, as it is not preventing Makoto from taking damage, rather, it is bringing him back to 1 HP every time he is killed. Invulnerability would mean just outright not going below 1 HP at all. If Resurrection doesn't explain it, and neither does Invulnerability, then what does?

He isn't going below 1 HP, though. He becomes invulnerable the moment he reaches 1 HP, so he doesn't take further damage, even if he does apparently feel the force and pain. For regular Endure, it would just work once before disappearing, but his Empowerment in this case allows him to pull it off multiple times.

Again, this isn't due to Empowerment. It's explicitly due to a passive ability exclusive to the Universe Arcana in that fight called Infinite Endure, which is described as applying the Endure effect endlessly whenever he drops below 1 HP. So it's entirely a separate ability, not explicitly caused by his Empowerment.

Even so, that's a good point. The Empowerment justification should be removed/changed though, and Invulnerability should be implemented onto his profile.

Except it also appears in the case of Narukami's fight with Izanami-no-Okami, as well as when Joker does the same thing when the Twins blast him when he breaks his cell door.

I can't say for sure on the Narukami case, but it definitely didn't happen in Joker's case. He never gets hit at 1 HP, he reaches exactly 1 HP before the Twins stop attacking him and it's heavily implied in the cutscene afterwards that he would have died if the Twins continued. I don't know if it would apply to Narukami, since I don't remember the scene very well, but it definitely didn't happen in Joker's case.

No they don't stop. He reaches 1 HP after the first two or three attacks, and they still continue to attack him. Don't say "definitely" without going back to recheck. As for Narukami, he was hit by Oho Ikazuchi (almighty-based attack, deals 999 damage) several times in succession after just awakening to Izanagi-no-Okami.

My apologies, I misremembered that detail so I checked this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdYewzkA9c&t=86s) to see. In that video, it stops before reaching 1 HP, and I remembered that it didn't reach 1 HP on any of the playthrough's I've done before, but I just checked some other videos and you were correct. Again, my apologies.

And the Izanagi example seems valid in this case. So would this be applied to all of them?

Wait, hold on, I just realised something.

While they all have feats of surviving consistently while at only 1 HP, it wouldn't neccesarily be cause for pure Invulnerability for all of them. The main reason I considered Makoto's Invulnerability to be independent of his Empowerment is because it was explicitly an ability unique to the Universe Arcana that allowed him to do that. However, Joker has no such ability (I don't mention Narukami much since I barely remember the feat in Persona 4 in comparison, mind you). Joker doesn't have any ability like Infinite Endure on him, so it's not the direct result of any specific Persona ability. If Joker's feat is considered valid, then it's connection to him breaking out of the Velvet Room cell means it's probably moreso Invulnerability through Empowerment.

Also, wouldn't it be considered an outlier for Joker? Makoto doesn't have any fights whatsoever after Nyx, so we don't have anything to compare to there. But Joker does fight in many battles, including several boss battles, all of which he can die in and in completely regular ways. When you combine this with how there is no notification whatsoever as to Joker getting hit at 1 HP, the fact that the entire battle is a cinematic to advance you to the next cutscene, the fact that it is possible to go through without losing all your health anyway, and the fact that he is quite clearly depicted as being on the last brink of his life afterwards, it seems like this would just be game mechanics. The game wanted to show a battle to justify Joker being nearly dead, but could not risk either the player winning or the Twins killing you when you can't do anything, so the developers just made it so that you can't die for the sake of the sequence. That'd be far more consistent with what we see, and answers the outlier problem with how Joker never demonstrates the ability to survive at 1 HP past that point.

Would it not be best rationalized as high resistance through empowerment or whatever? Makoto and Yu only tanked a single type of move each (Death for Makoto for example). Hence they should resist these moves.

We have to rationalize how these would work in vs battles. Like the rational here, with invunerability, is that any 2-C character would simply be unable to kill them with conventional methods, which is kinda BS. In writing the Sae Niijima profile, I'm giving her invunerability since no move you can use at that point (at least like 50+ moves) can hurt her. There is a significant amount of evidence suggesting it is not just Plot-Induced Stupidity, a lesser ability, or failure on the part of the attacker. In fairness to other verses, we should not hold flimsy overinflations of the Persona verse.

The idea of surviving at the brink of death is fairly common in both anime (most shonen) and video games (Pokemon's sturdy ability for example). It is shown in all 3 persona games that it is the bonds forged by the protagonist that cause extraordinary and unprecedented feats, therefore empowerment. I would, personally, classifiy the effects of this empowerment as resistance to the specific moves they tank, not empowerment of durability, since there is, imo, only enough info to support the former. Although I am willing to admit that perhaps I am missing a piece of the argument here.

It would be high resistance in the case of Amamiya and Narukami, because they simply took the hit and the damage was still applied, even if they were effectively unaffected, but Makoto's went further and turned into flat-out invulnerability.

Again, I'm still doubtful about applying it to Ren. While that scene does depict him surviving attacks while at 1 HP, he never depicts the ability to do this at all later on in the game, so even if it is considered valid, it'd likely fall under PIS.

I still think a more valid explanation for what happened in that scene is just pure game mechanics for the sake of advancing the story. They needed to have that battle to justify Ren being beaten down by the Twins. They can't risk the player being able to beat the Twins, since that breaks the story, so they made the player unable to move. But at the same time, they can't risk letting the Twins actually kill the player before the cutscene trigger, since it's entirely possible for them to do so if you are low enough level at that point. It really just seems like a mechanic implemented to ensure that the player couldn't be killed when they have no control in that scene.

And again, even if it was not game mechanics it's still pretty big PIS for Ren to have that ability when that very concept is contradicted later. Even at the absolute least, if there's some way of reasoning why he'd have that ability in that specific battle and not in any later battles, it would be completely inapplicable in Versus Matches and therefore probably doesn't need to be added anyway.

Though MattadorProne's suggestion for High Resistance through Empowerment in the case of Narukami and Solacis' suggestion for Invulnerability for Makoto seems reasonable to me. Should we get someone like Dragonmasterxyz on this thread for evaluation?

Resistance and invunerability to what though? I am not in agreement for applying this to all cases. We have absolutly zero evidence to justify this. Makoto should probably be listed as having immunity to death manipulation or whatever we want to classify death as.

This isn't based off of Makoto nullifying Death. This is based off of Makoto surviving an attack that would normally one-shot him while he was at only 1 HP. Death still clearly hurts him, and it is fully able to bring him down to 1 HP first, so he has no immunity or resistance to it whatsoever. It specifically must be an ability that prevents him from dying, despite the conditions. That's why I first suggested Resurrection, and why Solacis has suggested Invulnerability. It's definitely not a resistance to the particular attack itself.

HP is a game mechanic. The amount really isn't important since there is no decenable difference at 1HP or 2HP. The last chance hit pointis very common in fiction and videogames. I have looked through some other verses listed on the TV Tropes page on the Vs. Wiki and have not seen this justfication come up. For example Hitmonlee, a Pokemon, can use the move endure or passivly through affection to survive at 1HP, even when already at 1HP, consecutively. Ness, from Earthbound, can do it passivly through the guts stat. I would not say any of these characters are invincible. There is nothing seperating Makoto from these characters.

HP does not affect the characters abilities in anyway outside of an arbritrary, this is when you die mechanic for the player. They don't lose limbs or bleed out or have any repercussions. Unless a lore reason can be given, this justification is invalid. Imo, Makoto manged to tank the hits due to high resistance to death manipulation and passive healing.

If HP is purely a game mechanic and therefore can't be used, why is SP not considered a game mechanic? It is listed as an ability on Ren's page that he doesn't need SP to use abilities anymore due to being able to use Sinful Shell without SP, and it's been widely defended and accepted. If SP is not considered a game mechanic, there's no reason why HP would.

Also, it should be noted that HP potentially has even more backing behind it than SP does to say that it is not a game mechanic. Teammates will change their animations slightly the lower their HP is, and in Persona 5 (can't quite remember if this was in Persona 3) your teammates will even say specific voicelines when they are at low HP. SP is considered to not be a game mechanic because it's a statistic used in-game to determine something that physically changes and affects the characters in notable ways, and HP is no different.

On top of this, there are abilities like Endure which are specific in-canon abilities that only have an explicit effect on the HP gauge, further proving it to be a reliable source for determining how close the character is to death.

Also, even if HP was just game mechanics, it doesn't change the facts here. Even when you're at the maximum of 999 HP, if you get hit by Death, it deals enough damage to take you down to 1 ten-times over. And yet Makoto, despite being visibly on deaths door already, managed to survive it despite being nearly one-shorted by it the first time. It's not a case of high resistance to Death, because he's visibly shown that it can take him from the strongest he can possibly be to outright nearly dead in a single hit. Yet he still survived within the brink of his life. High resistance doesn't explain that.

Let me just summarise the changes I currently suggest, since it's deviated quite a bit since the beginning of the post.

Makoto Yuki:

- Invulnerability (Through Infinite Endure, an ability that prevents Makoto from going below 1 HP by normal means)

- Reactive Evolution (Was able to nullify Nyx's "Death" Attack after being hit twice)

Yu Narukami:

- High Resistance to 'insert ability here?' (Not sure what ability it would fall under).

Nothing is going to happen here unless you get some staff input...

Yes, I've contacted Dragonmasterxyz already, since he's the staff member who's seemingly been the most prolific in the Persona verse. I understand the requirement of staff input, don't worry.

Bump? Dragonmaster hasn't responded yet, but I'd really rather not bother him with multiple messages on his wall at a time if he's busy. Are there any other staff members who should be contacted?

Only Dragon and Sera are staff members concerning Persona knowledgeables. It's been an issue for a while now. So unfortunately, we've been bottlenecked.

I see. That's... unfortunate. I might have to contact Dragonmaster again, though I might wait a bit first, just to see if he'll respond.

Back