• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Peak Human to Subsonic speed IRL Sledgehammer!?

For the speed issue:
The 4 m/s statement probably isn’t worth worrying about for several reasons:
First, a quick free fall calculation will show that a 90° swing with gravity could get you a speed above 4m/s (4.429 m/s for a 1m sledge), since that’s falling a minimum of 1 m and a maximum of sqrt(2)m so as long as the user is strong enough to apply the centripetal force (only 16 lbs for 4m/s, 20 lbs for 4.429 m/s) it should be easy to swing a 1m sledge over 4m/s.
Second, the speeds on our profiles are a generalization of the average speed of the attack, not the maximum speed achieved during the swing. For something that’s continuously accelerating over the course of a swing, the impact velocity should be higher than what we represent on our profiles.
Third, and I’d be perfectly happy if someone proved this point wrong: the source seems dubious. I tried finding a post where it was discussed using the site search feature I couldn’t find any posts from 2016 that included the words “sledge” or “sledgehammer” and talked about the sledgehammer’s speed, nor could I find anything that seemed sledgehammer related by looking through Hop’s posts for two months leading up to the edit or in the week after, nor could I find it using a google search restricted to vsbattles.com using the keywords “4” or “4m/s” and “sledge” or “sledgehammer”. So if there was a discussion of the change on the forum, it seems likely it didn’t directly address these numbers or it’s been deleted, so we can’t check any source from it.

For the 90° and 180° rotation AP calcs:
I’m pretty certain this is wrong. The way you calculated it treats the force necessary to crush the skull as being applied the entire time the person is swinging the sledgehammer, but that’s not necessary, it’s only necessary to build up enough energy that the hammer can impact the skull with that level of force.

it’s only necessary to build up enough energy that the hammer can impact the skull with that level of force.
How do you know the other people in my scans aren't swinging the hammer at full force? I can see a case for Singh's feat being held back.

We clearly see one instance of a well placed swing being 90-180 degrees and far exceeding the force necessary to harm a skull on it's official profile. And I used that link on my calc. So wouldn't calcing that instance just be supporting evidence at around 90 degrees? The official page for the Sledgehammer ranks it's AP based off of it's capabilities and a well placed swing.
Third, and I’d be perfectly happy if someone proved this point wrong: the source seems dubious
I recalled a user requesting that the speed should be there considering normal users. However, even though I recall the thread surviving the forum move, I don't remember the name, so I can try to dig it if we want to validate the speed.

Peak human speed is the bare minimum force into 9-C, but the sledgehammer is pretty effective weapon would stay at 9-C knowing how piercing weapons are tiered here. But correct me if I'm missing something.

How do you know the other people in my scans aren't swinging the hammer at full force? I can see a case for Singh's feat being held back.
The issue here isn’t a matter of whether they’re swinging at full strength. In order to break something, you just need the energy built up over the entire wind up to surpass the work the target applies while breaking (which is what you calced with the skull destruction). So, if the distance of the wind up is much larger than the distance of the impact, the person never has to be applying a force to the hammer equivalent to the impact force necessary to break the skull.

To show that the hammer was directly receiving the force necessary to break the skull at all times you’d need to either prove there was absolutely no loss of velocity during the impact (I.e., the force the skull applied to the hammer was less than or equal to the force the person applied to the hammer while it contacted the skull) or that they could break the skull with no wind up (I.e. the force the person applied to the hammer while it contacted the skull was the only force they put into the system.)

To show that the hammer was directly receiving the force necessary to break the skull at all times you’d need to either prove there was absolutely no loss of velocity during the impact (I.e., the force the skull applied to the hammer was less than or equal to the force the person applied to the hammer while it contacted the skull) or that they could break the skull with no wind up (I.e. the force the person applied to the hammer while it contacted the skull was the only force they put into the system.)
Frank Richards' durability feats to the stomach have 9-C durability feats. He can tank normal people and world champion punches to the stomach. He alse remains unphased by people jumping on his stomach. So mathematically, the velocity of the sledgehammer should be above peak human speed to achieve it's velocity.

Not to mention I already linked his feat of withstanding a sledgehammer swing. The people at the time were most definitely trying to test the limits of Frank's stomach durability and wouldn't hold back less than 90% of their strength. Unless if some unknown trickery I don't know was involved, I doubt that Richards' durability feat of withstanding the sledgehammer would mathematically be below peak human speed at impact.

And the feat for a sledgehammer effortlessly decimating the skull shows that at impact, the sledgehammer exceeded the newtons necessary to break a skull. Newtons is mass*accleration, and the user in the feat for effortlessly decimating a skull was most definitely accelerating it to exceed the force needed to smash a skull to bits.

Title's been edited to reflect the speed results. (Not intended to be in the argument, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up on this)*

Back