• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Peak Human to Subsonic speed IRL Sledgehammer!?

I was doing a sledgehammer striking strength & composite human durability calculation & decided that I should check the validity of my values by making sure the speeds don't potentially go over 4 m/s.

Calc stacking isn't a thing in real life, but apparently I managed to get velocity values 11.50118939-58.27568754 m/s. A normal sledgehammer according to my calculation currently wouldn't be able to reach 300 J since it would require 11.50118939 m/s. Does that mean my striking strength results are invalid? I'm pretty sure that the feat of a sledgehammer casually destroying a skull along with other feats is still keeping Sledgehammers street level.

Or is it just the case of our statistics for profiles being oversimplified?

I think a lot of these calcs in this blog should go to the References for Common Feats, they're good and quite common. Anyways, yeah it's probably just the wiki being incredibly simplified in terms of stats.

I think a lot of these calcs in this blog should go to the References for Common Feats, they're good and quite common. Anyways, yeah it's probably just the wiki being incredibly simplified in terms of stats.
We already the Sledgehammer stuff as an actual profile. There's no need to put that stuff on the references for common feats. Why should the others be on the references for common feats page?

I do wonder the validity of the statement that no human can swing it faster than 4 m/s.
Well, me lifting a 15 lb dumbbell I have in a house is doable, but still notably heavy. Sledgehammers should be heavy weapons, especially to normal people. That's a part of the factor for below average human striking speed.

Calc extracting speed from energy does work in real life, although I think I managed to get subsonic results if my memory was correct, and I may edit the calc to take this into account. Assuming the math is correct, the sledgehammer would need to go at least superhuman speed levels to work at it's calculated attack potency.

Back