• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
This title is great. F#$% you. Leave me alone...

So I've been wanting to make a few new Pacific Rim profiles, but our old ones really need some fixing up, first. This post will address a few important things in regards to lore, AP, and combat speeds.

Trespasser

For those who don't know who Trespasser is, it was the first Kaiju ever encountered by humanity, long before the Jaeger program existed. It appeared in the San Francisco bay area, going on a six day rampage while everything the military threw at it proved ineffective. It was finally put down by the combined power of three nukes dropped directly on it. His current rating for AP is "At least Large Building level, possibly Small Town level" (the former I assume due to being comparable in size to the Golden Gate Bridge), with "At least Multi-City Block level, likely Town level" for durability. Neither of these make much sense, and as I have found out are actually extreme lowballs.

First off, in terms of AP, in a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, Trespasser actually has a feat of causing a magnitude 7.1 earthquake simply from its movement along the ocean floor towards the bay. This is confirmed by the in-universe news footage from the day of its arrival. This was used for the viral marketing campaign, but is canon to the film itself, and can be seen in the opening. Causing an earthquake of this magnitude with its movement alone is a ridiculously casual High 7-C feat (above 476 kilotons) according to our Earthquake Power Chart. The three nukes that were required to actually kill it were strong enough to wipe out all of Oakland, as well as surrounding areas, which is in itself high-end kiloton range, supporting this level for durability, as well.

Why is this important?

Because Trespasser is canonically one of the weakest Kaiju in the entire series.

Over time, the Kaiju sent to attack Earth by the Precursors became stronger and stronger, adapting to what humanity threw at them, leading to an even more notable boost after the development of Jaegers. Keep in mind, the sheer force of a Jaeger was compared to a nuclear bomb by the man who invented them, in the first place.

So what does this mean for scaling?

Like I said above, the weakest known Kaiju was halfway through High 7-C simply by moving too quickly towards San Francisco. It wasn't until several Kaiju attacks later that the first Jaegers were built, and when they were, Brawler Yukon, who was just a prototype not built for actual combat, absolutely curbstomps a Kaiju who should be well above what Trespasser was.

Prototype Jaeger not built for actual combat >> Karloff > several other previous Kaiju => Trespasser, who is nearly Large Town level+ just by moving. This should put the absolute lowest rank Jaegers at Small City level, considering the Large Town level feat was from the absolute weakest Kaiju encountered just moving towards its target.

On top of that, you have greatly superior Jaegers and Kaiju. Gipsy Danger, a powerful Jaeger built much later down the line for actual combat, was nearly destroyed by Knifehead, a category III Kaiju, when he got too careless. Considering how small Low 7-B actually is, I would think that category III Kaiju like Knifehead should be "At least Low 7-B, possibly 7-B"

Beyond those, you have have strong category IV Kaiju, like Otachi and Leatherback, who tore the high-end Jaegers Crimson Typhoo and Cherno Alpha to pieces. I'm not sure if they should be "At least Low 7-B, likely 7-B" or just "Likely 7-B".

Regardless, very notable upgrades.

Slattern and Striker Eureka's Self Destruct

Next up on our list, we have an extreme upgrade for a few characters. Striker Eureka's self destruction was initially assumed to just be 1.2 megatons (Low 7-B), as the nuke strapped to it was stated to be that level, in the movie. However, Kaltias recently took the time to actually calc the feat, which ended up being a minimum of 7-A (121 megatons), with the possibility of being High 7-A. Even with a lowball, the actual explosion yielded a hundred times more energy than it was stated to in the film, so that's quite the increase in power.

If accepted, this would scale to a few things. Most obvious is Slattern's durability, as he tanks this explosion to the face and survives in fighting condition. To a notably lower extent, it could possibly scale to Striker Eureka's blades, which did inflict minor damage to Slattern, but this is uncertain. It definitely scales to Gipsy Danger's nuclear vortex, as while Slattern shrugged off Striker's self destruct, the vortex tore through him like wet tissue paper.

Would possibly scale to the category V Kaiju and Mega Kaiju in Pacific Rim: Uprising. However, they didn't seem to be portrayed quite as strong as Slattern, so it would be a "possibly/likely".

Reaction Speed

Finally, we get down to speed. All Kaiju and Jaegers are currently Subsonic by virtue of sheer size. This is fine for movement, but their reactions and combat speed are likely higher. In Pacific Rim: Uprising, Gipsy Avenger dodges missiles from the rogue Jaeger Obsidian Fury at close range after they've been fired. Even without a calc, I'm fairly certain this would be in the Hypersonic range. Unfortunately, I don't have footage of this on hand, but if anyone finds it in one of the trailers, please let me know. This would scale to pretty much everything, with the only possible exception being Kaiju who never fought a Jaeger, but even then would have a "likely".

Brief Summary

• Everyone gets a tier bump
  • Potentially 7-A or High 7-A Slattern, Striker Eureka via self destruct, and Gipsy Danger via nuclear vortex
  • Reaction speed upgrades for the entire verse

This looks good to me, outside of the speed stuff, given that we don't really have much. We should get it calced or something.

I thought they just bombed Tresspasser so much it died. Correct me if there's other material that show a different story.

The bomb thing makes sense, it should somewhat scale to Gypsy's, which destroyed the Kaiju place and the gigantic breach.

Something like City Level physically would make sense for Striker as well, it fought a pretty good battle against Slattern without its blades, and is the only Mark 5 within the first movie, consistently noted to be upgraded well above the other Jagers.

For the speed thing, Gypsy is a Mark 6 with years of upgrades, its also extremely versatile in combat. Not saying that it doesn't scale to the others at all, just that could be noted.

No, I mean the nuclear vortex in his chest. It blows straight through Slattern's torso as they're about to fall into the breach.

Assalt accepted the High 7-A end of the nuke calc.

Given that it's baseline personally i'd say

Slattern = High 7-A

Stiker/Gipsy = At least 7-A+, possibly High 7-A

We do know that SE can fight back against Slattern but he can't survive the nuke, and Slattern heavily damaged SE with a single strike.

Gipsy did pierced Slattern with the sword but the latter was already weakened by the nuke.

So while I don't think that they would scale 100% from Slattern they can't be 7-B either or they wouldn't do anything notable

Alright.

I also realized Gipsy should probably have a key, as well.

The Gipsy from the beginning of the movie nearly dies to a category III Kaiju.

The upgraded Gipsy from several years later destroys two category IVs, both of whom were able to tear apart Jaegers known for being extremely efficient Kaiju killers.

That's a pretty big difference.

Also, should Gipsy and Striker's "At least 7-A+, possibly High 7-A" stuff be noted to be with their blades. I recall those being the things that wounded Slattern in both instances, and stuff like Gipsy's blades >>> his punches is pretty consistent with what we've been shown.

@KarmodF

Everything has been accepted, so I'll make the changes, soon. The only thing we need is an actual calc for the missile dodging, which nobody has done, yet. Still, I can make the tier revisions and wait for those, later.

I've updated most of the profiles with the accepted tier changes. I still want to go back and spruce them up at some point, as the profiles themselves are pretty bare bones.

Could someone do me a favor and update Cherno Alpha in a manner akin to Crimson Typhoo, please? The page is acting up, for me.

Back