• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need to appeal to game mechanics when we already have the animation shorts, that is more relevant with regard to feats.

Hmm, that would have been incredibly useful to been linked to earlier. @.@

But doesn't this mean that the characters cannot tank bullets and stuff since in cinematics they dodge them or block with armor. But in the game hp can soak several rounds from certain guns?

I know durability is in question, but I just wanted to make a note of something.

Currently Tracer's durability reads as : "Durability: Likely Large Building level (Although is one of the most lightly armored heroes in the game, she is still able to withstand brief bursts of Overwatch-grade gunfire and has wrestled with the likes of Widowmaker)" I don't think Tracer has ever shown being able to take bursts of gunfire in a cinematic...

We've seen bullets bounce off of Winston's armor. But that is armor of which Tracer does not really wear. Widowmaker also does not wear armor. We always see her jumping dodging and avoiding gunfire.

I think ignoring game mechanics will make the characters much much weaker and possibly make it impossible to scale characters to each other...

Being weak to bullets and shots is common in fiction besides the durability being superior to 9-C, this is due perforation, I highly due that Tracer would survive a direct shot from a rifle like that; but that is independent to durability.

I think I may have misunderstood durability entirely then if bullets can bypass durability for some characters... yet not for others of the same level. I'll spend some time asking in the chat for clarification.

Bullets should never really be regarded in fiction.

Most works of fiction tend to treat bullets as this all-killing object even when the character has durability far above what is necessary to tank them.

EsotericDichotomy said:
I think I may have misunderstood durability entirely then if bullets can bypass durability for some characters... yet not for others of the same level. I'll spend some time asking in the chat for clarification.
I smell sarcasm here, but in case I'm wrong, bullets are variable tho, in some fiction bullet are like regular ones

On others bullets are capable of taking down gods.

So I wouldn't take the argument of "he avoid the shots" for downgrades.

You're really starting to sound like a dowplayer

It wasn't sarcasm. I was and am still very unfamiliar with durability.

I wasn't looking to downgrade their durability at all. I just want to know where if it comes from if we can't use game mechanics like I thought we could.

In the game a character can stand still and get shot a few times before dying, but that's based on HP and stuff, so you said we can't use HP. I don't know how to calculate durability any other way though...

Not trying to downplay or anything, honest.

Welp, since there's no other argument, we could start to change both reaction/combat and movement speed, we can wait for the Aiden calc; I can't change nothing right now cuz mobile tho.

EsotericDichotomy said:
It wasn't sarcasm. I was and am still very unfamiliar with durability.
I wasn't looking to downgrade their durability at all. I just want to know where if it comes from if we can't use game mechanics like I thought we could.

In the game a character can stand still and get shot a few times before dying, but that's based on HP and stuff, so you said we can't use HP. I don't know how to calculate durability any other way though...

Not trying to downplay or anything, honest.
A 7.62×51mm full metal jacket (non-armor piercing) bullet shot from a normal rifle will easily penetrate a 5 centimeter (2 inch) concrete wall. Said bullet only has a muzzle energy of ~3400 joules, which is Street+ level. Penetration (especially of rigid substances) is generally much more dependent on the speed of the projectile rather than the projectile's energy (mass and speed).

Given that most characters in fiction generally operate like animals do in real life, an attack needs not necessarily be of a certain "tier" to do fatal damage to their body—it just needs to penetrate a small part of the body and hit something vital, like the heart or lungs, provided they haven't demonstrated the ability to survive that kind of injury.

I don't remember. Sorry.

However, there was a recent Overwatch downgrade, that was then decided to be inappropriate and reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back