• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Order of the Stick pages inclusion? (Spoilers inside)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Order_of_the_Stick I would risk saying Order of the Stick is a very notable webcomic, or at least, one of the longest running. Having been going since September 29th, 2003, it actually started in Dragon Magazine, where several alternate strips were published.

The webcomic alone has 1,171 strips currently. It's also had a few books containing canon content, as well as merchandise published.

Some people might dislike it for being a Stick Figure comic, but it is still a comic, & we've published pages based on literature, newspaper comics, anime & more. I don't think HOW the fiction is depicted is as important as its content & the notability of the published work.

But thus, the bigger issue: The content. As that Wikipedia article can tell you, it "loosely operates" under rules from Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition, & has referenced, many times, especially comically, mechanics of D&D, meta-humour & other games & fiction.

However, there are a few differences. The characters & setting are original.

For one, AFAIK, it doesn't involve the Core Pantheon; To simplify, the Creation Myth involves Pantheons of Gods, each with a different, single-coloured "Quiddity"; Their Divine Essence.

There have been at least 4 such Pantheons, the original 4 named for the Cardinal Directions. They created worlds to have followers... but at some point, their fighting created a tangled mess of Divine Quiddity, known as The Snarl. As a product of all The Gods, with multiple colours of Quiddity, it is more powerful than any being with less colours of Quiddity, Gods included.

It killed the Green Quiddity bearing Eastern Pantheon, & as a result, became untouchable; Even united, the remaining Gods didn't have enough colours to be able to harm it, while it could easily destroy them.

Thus, the Gods built a world, and sealed The Snarl away. That world is not the setting of the Order of the Stick... but there are rifts connecting the two. These gates were discovered, and sealed away using a combination of Epic Arcane and Divine Magic. https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/Gates

I haven't compiled any lists or such, but it may also contain different spells, abilities, or creatures. The Monster in the Darkness still has its species speculated about, & Vampires in OotS aren't the same person, but an evil spirit putting someone prisoner in their own mind.

In setting at least, & perhaps mechanics -as much as it may reference them- there are some differences. So can we create pages for it? And if so, how do we go about doing it?

Do we just base it on D&D, given how often it references the contents of it & how many fans have made close approximation of the cast's stats?

Or do we do like we usually do and scale based on the feats, statements, & other info available to us about this fiction?

Or a mix of those? Something else? I'd like to discuss this, please and thank you.

Following.

I strongly agree with OOTS' inclusion on the Wiki. It has a very, very distinct world, and while 3.5E is the basis of a few gags, Rich Burlew, the author, has even said that the story comes first, and D&D rules come second.

Not to mention that Burlew has worked with Wizards Of The Coast before, so this isn't just some fanfiction written by a random person.

I agree here. If we allow Red vs Blue OOTS is fine.

I imagine doing feats and stats separate from D&D, though chances are their Resistances lists will look pretty similar.

Promestein said:
I agree here. If we allow Red vs Blue OOTS is fine.
But isn't Red vs Blue just Machinima shown using Halo's gameplay, rather than more clearly referencing & using D&D's mechanics? Or does Red & Blue also reference the elements & mechanics of Halo's gameplay as well?

That is definitely an option. One frustrating aspect to that though is that the 'verse includes NUMEROUS feats (As in, the D&D definition of Feats), spells & abilities that characters have.

For any of those we don't see used or detailed in 'verse, we would have to assume they work at least very similarly to their D&D3.5E counterparts, right? Would doing that make it too derivative if we included those?

Wouldn't that mean we exclude huge portions of known capabilities of characters because even though we know what they should be based on D&D, listing that is too derivative?

Imaginym said:
That is definitely an option. One frustrating aspect to that though is that the 'verse includes NUMEROUS feats (As in, the D&D definition of Feats), spells & abilities that characters have.
For any of those we don't see used or detailed in 'verse, we would have to assume they work at least very similarly to their D&D3.5E counterparts, right? Would doing that make it too derivative if we included those?

Wouldn't that mean we exclude huge portions of known capabilities of characters because even though we know what they should be based on D&D, listing that is too derivative?
We assume they work as shown so far.

@ThePixelKirby So it's fine to include OotS content, but we ignore any info about stuff of the same name in D&D3.5E source material (despite that being a basis for the comic) unless OotS has shown stuff of that sort working the exact same way in OotS?

Imaginym said:
@ThePixelKirby So it's fine to include OotS content, but we ignore any info about stuff of the same name in D&D3.5E source material (despite that being a basis for the comic) unless OotS has shown stuff of that sort working the exact same way in OotS?
I assume that's the best way to get it not removed, yes.

@ZacharyGrossman273: R&M doesn't borrow game mechanics, feat, spell, ability & class names & features (or the equivalent) from Back to the Future, though, does it?

Also, where would be a good place to start discussing 'verse statistics & abilities? Make a General Discussion thread? Content Revision? I know there's already a few helpful Respect Threads to get us started.

Back