• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: G4 and G5 Lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
"G4 and G5's lasers are genuine light speed lasers"

Currently we don't accept this claim for the following reasons:

"They do not travel in straight lines”​

G4’s beams are shown to curve and swerve without refraction/reflection occurring.
G4_bend.jpeg

“It is tangible and can be interacted with physically”​

Atomic Samurai was able to cut G5’s laser in two with a shockwave of compressed air, affecting the beam with a physical force.
G5’s laser causes an explosion when destroying Sekingar’s hand, implying it imparts physical force.
Atomic_reage.png
G5_laser_kaboom.jpeg

In this thread, I will be arguing argue in favor of the proposition that both G4 and G5's lasers are legitimate light speed lasers while also debunking counterarguments presented earlier.

I will begin by explaining why the lasers are legitimate.

G4:

G4's lasers are considered light speed by both the manga, supported by multiple statements made by characters and by databooks. Furthermore, in chapter 38, it's shown that G4's lasers originate from a glass screen, with G4 equipped with mini-windshield wipers to clean them. We also see his lasers disperse in steam, which even further supports this notion.

G5:

G5 is an upgraded version of G4, which means that the legitimacy of light speed lasers, as established through statements from G4, would apply to G5 as well. In chapter 119, it is revealed that G5's lasers come from his eyes. These are the same eyes shown immediately afterward projecting a holograph made of light.

Now I will debunk the counterarguments.

1. "They do not travel in straight lines"

G4:

At first glance, this argument seems valid, but upon closer examination, it falls short.

Certain types of lasers have the ability to bend. These lasers are known as Airy Beams and can bend anywhere from to 60º, and in some cases, even up to 90º.

Even if this counterargument holds validity, that that the curvature of the beam debunks the lasers' light speed characteristic, there are still more factors supporting the claim that G4's laser is indeed a light-speed beam.

G5:

G5's beams have never been shown to curve, so this issue doesn't apply to him.

2. "It is tangible and can be interacted with physically"

Atomic Samurai:

This argument is not strong for several reasons. Light is known to be affected by shockwaves and air with varying densities and properties. It is plausible to suggest that a shockwave or air wave, if positioned correctly, can alter the shape of a light beam. Furthermore, considering that it is indisputable that the lasers are made of light, as established by G4, this argument could be dismissed as a NPI.

Sekingar:

We learn from G4 that his lasers emit extreme heat, capable of instantly melting through steel. This can be attributed to the fact that Sekingar's phone exploded due to the sheer heat of the laser rather than the laser exploding when coming in contact with his hand.

Furthermore, when comparing real-life instances of phone explosions to what happened to Sekingar's phone, the resemblance is striking.

When considering the checklist of criteria necessary to accept lasers as light speed, it becomes evident that there are more supporting the notion that the lasers are indeed light speed rather than otherwise.

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:

• It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)

Agree with both G4 and G5 being light speed lasers:
Neutral on G4, Agree with G5:
@Emirp sumitpo
Agree with only G5 being light speed lasers: @KingTempest
Disagree with G4, Neutral on G5: @ByAsura @Qawsedf234
Disagree with either being light speed lasers:

Last edited:
If it's the same laser functionally, not demonstrating bending wouldn't do anything.

I'm not sure what you mean?
Let's say G4 and G5 use meson rifles or some shit.

If G4's meson rifle beam bends, and G5's meson rifle is just an upgraded version of the same rifle (therefore based on the same principles), then G5's rifle would fall under the same scrutiny.

I'm neutral on G5 because we don't know if G5's beams are the same as G4's just because they haven't demonstrated one aspect (travelling in straight lines rather than bending) that G4 was also capable of.

I'm neutral on G5 because we don't know if G5's beams are the same as G4's just because they haven't demonstrated one aspect (travelling in straight lines rather than bending) that G4 was also capable of.
Well I don't know why we'd assume that they're any different other than the fact that one bends and the other doesn't. G5 is a direct upgrade from G4, so I don't see why they'd suddenly make the beam not light-based.

Disagree with G4 since the beams still double bend and move at impossible angles.

G5 has more for it, but it's still questionable consistency wise in my view and I don't think it should be used.

G5 has more for it, but it's still questionable consistency wise in my view and I don't think it should be used.
What do you mean by consistency-wise?

IIRC, the only people who scale to this would be Atomic Samurai, Bang, Golden Sperm, Platinum Sperm, Flashy Flash, and Garou. All of which are pretty much speedsters in their own right and scale around that level to begin with.

IIRC, the only people who scale to this would be Atomic Samurai, Bang, Golden Sperm, Platinum Sperm, Flashy Flash, and Garou
Atomic Samurai is the main issue. Unless we're saying someone who's FTL is getting consistently ganked by BS bodies.

While I'd like to keep this as getting the laser(s) accepted as light speed and to keep scaling to its own thread to keep things organized, to respond to your Atomic Samurai concers, he got completely overwhelmed by numbers, so I don't think it can be used to discredit his speed or the consistency of the lasers

Following. Leaning on agreeing for both G4 and G5. My own common sense tells me they are definitely light speed lasers but by wiki standard I'm just neutral, leaning on agreeing with it.

Following

I should remind everyone that Genos literally states that "moisture disperses light" when executing his strategy against G4 so there is definitely author intent at play here...

We rate AS' attack speed separately from his travel speed, which is what BS (who always used swarm tactics and gets blitzed by his attacks) scales to. So BS doesn't really matter.
If it's just his attacks speed I guess I can see something there.

Can I have clarification on whether you are neutral, disagree, or agree with G5?
Neutral. G4 has far to many issues both with depiction and with scaling to be useable.

What do you mean by consistency-wise?

IIRC, the only people who scale to this would be Atomic Samurai, Bang, Golden Sperm, Platinum Sperm, Flashy Flash, and Garou. All of which are pretty much speedsters in their own right and scale around that level to begin with.
What about Genos himself?? Also, peoplo who upscales Genos will also scales to this.
Its a pretty big update if it’s accepted

Keep scaling to a different thread.

Also, Qaws and I were specifically talking about G5, not G5.

G5 seems to be most likely to be accepted anyways, as every staff member here is either neutral or agrees with it, compared to G4, who everyone is either neutral for or disagrees.

Also, Qaws and I were specifically talking about G5, not G5.

G5 seems to be most likely to be accepted anyways, as every staff member here is either neutral or agrees with it, compared to G4, who everyone is either neutral for or disagrees.
i wont give any votes on that since im pretty much out of context, ill let you guys discuss, just watching and following. Bump.
Interested on this

After further consideration I fully agree with G5. All the issues that G4 have don't apply to it.

And I don't know why people are concerned about the scaling? None of the people who would scale have any consistency issues with being that speed.

This would explain Bang keeping with Garou, also Garou reacting to Flash just after awaking up without getting blitzed or jumping from mhs+ to sub-rel+

If it's just his attacks speed I guess I can see something there.
Yeah, his attack speed has been consistently shown to always be perception blitz worthy of characters that can tag him. Black Sperm being the main example but also happening with VFU who got blitzed by his Atomic Slash and then would have tagged him with an acid punch if Amahare didn't kick him away

count me as neutral for G5.
I agree with G5
Leaning on agreeing for both G4 and G5
I like the evidence for G5
It seems that G4 has been overall rejected.

As for G5, there's a mix on neutral and agreements from all the staff who have commented.

So we can wrap this up, can I add this, and if not, could you all give your stance on G5 specifically please?

Last edited:
honestly I feel like the rules on lasers are unnecessarily strict, considering how common it is for an author to not really pay attention to light bending stuff, and the fact that it's basically confirmed that they were supposed to be lightspeed going by the evidence in the OP
more vs wiki self imposed limitations, but there's not much to be done about it unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back