• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Strong World Canonicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Yes, the movie with Shiki is canon.

Besides the fact that this is the only movie that Oda flat out wrote himself besides the upcoming Film Red. Oda's SBS 55 confirms that the events in the movie are when Shiki's canon plan in the manga goes into motion.
D: Odacchi! Congratulations! They're doing another One Piece movie. But this time, it's your script, right? I'm really looking forward to it!! ...and, when I was watching the movie trailer on my computer I heard the word "Kinjishi" come up - but isn't that the flying pirate who broke out of jail 20 years ago that Sengoku mentioned in chapter 530!? There has to be some connection, right!?

O:
Yes. "Kinjishi". Actually, I really wanted to have his name come up in the scene where Shirohige talks to Shanks in volume 45. But I thought at the draft level that I was handing out too much information and confusing the readers, so I took it away - but in my mind, I have determined that he is one of the legendary pirates who played a big part during Roger's time. Though I didn't think I'd make a movie about him. In any case, "Kinjishi" escaped from Impel Down, and now that 20 years have passed, he's finally starting to make a move, and that's what the movie is about. There's an announcement on page 192.

Oda's canon Chapter 0 flashback shows Shiki saying that his plan will start in 20 years time, which would've put the events of Pre Timeskip towards when he should've put his plan in motion.

The artbook (I'm trying to find the statement) says this
And as far as something that will hold true for both the comic and the anime, this will be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year-old.
Stating that the events of the movie are canon to the manga.

The Deep Blue databook, which collects info from the canon, notes Shiki and Luffy as enemies.
Screen_Shot_2022-04-01_at_3.27.12_PM.png

Which wouldn't make sense if they never met.
This points to the events of the movie, as the end of the same databook has the Strong World Chapter 0 prequel raws.

Idk about scaling or feats since I need to rewatch the movie, but the movie is canon.

I mean the guy did get stomped, while it seen like Shiki actually give them an actual fight.
Chinjao matched Luffy and lost to his Gear 3rd "Thor Elephant Gun"

Shiki washed the crew and got beaten by a sky lightning amped Gear 3rd hit

Powerscaling really shouldn't be a big issue, he got weaker after 20 years and getting injured + cutting his legs off

And now that 20 years have passed, he's finally starting to make a move, and that's what the movie is about.
And as far as something that will hold true for both the comic and the anime, this will be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year-old.
The Deep Blue databook, which collects info from the canon, notes Shiki and Luffy as enemies. Which wouldn't make sense if they never met.

Chapter 0 is also canon and Shiki said he'd make his move in 20 years. That canonically coincides with the movie, not current timeline.

I agree. There's more evidence agreeing with it than not.

Chinjao matched Luffy and lost to his Gear 3rd "Thor Elephant Gun"

Shiki washed the crew and got beaten by a sky lightning amped Gear 3rd hit

Powerscaling really shouldn't be a big issue, he got weaker after 20 years and getting injured + cutting his legs off
I mean Shiki just sat there and let Luffy one shot him lol

I mean the guy did get stomped, while it seen like Shiki actually give them an actual fight.
In all fairness, old age and rustiness is a thing. Shiki made 0 moves until the movie itself and him being rusty makes sense. As well as weaker due to him losing his legs, as KT said.
Chinjao was a Garp rival until old age and Luffy happened, same as Shiki.
When does this happen timeline?
Between TB and Sabaody, maybe? Did we ever get a statemet about how long the trip from one arc to the next lasted?

I agree with this, regarding Shikki getting weaker it's true and Chinjao's example works.

Chinjao went from a guy prime Garp had to train to defeat to being defeated by a Thor elephant gun by Luffy and Shikki was someone who rivaled Roger but was defeated by a Thor gun in his old age.

Something to note is that Shikki basivally retied from piracy for 20 years while Chinjao was active.

I'm gonna actually watch the movie now to see if thee's anything else supporting/countering it, also to look for what might change the scaling, but the latter won't be talked about in here.

This thread is just to get the movie canon

In chapter 493 Brook says that his fight with the Flying Fish Riders is hit first battle as one of the Straw Hats, but he fought in the Strong World movie, didn't he?
Technically he says his first battle with the straw hats, which is already wrong as he fought Oars.

In the movie, him and the straw hats shot up the palace (doesn't really count as a battle), he put 1 dude to sleep, then he left and one shot a bug. Technically he never fought with them, so idk if that counts.

Plus, that's really a weird mistake on Oda's part, since he's the one who wrote that in the movie even though anime wise and canon/noncanon wise, it's not his first fight.

Since the movie contradicted the manga once i must disagree. Sorry.

jk jk, im still neutral as im curious to see Damage's response but im leaning heavily to agree as there really isnt any debunk so far.
I don't really have any other responses at the moment. The film just seems to contradict information from the manga given by Brook.

I think it's pretty clear he means as a member of the Straw Hats.
He says "with" the straw hats, not "as" a straw hat. It contradicts both the previous event and a movie backed up by more databooks to being canonical than not.

He says "with" the straw hats, not "as" a straw hat. It contradicts both the previous event and a movie backed up by more databooks to being canonical than not.
The intention behind his statement is still clear.

It's not like Brook forgot about Oars' existence.

I don't really have any other responses at the moment. The film just seems to contradict information from the manga given by Brook.
It's aight, slightly off topic, but respect for always giving ur two cents no matter how many FRA's there are.

Gotta say i agree, because despite this feeling like a slight "argument from ignorance" it seems completely fine.

One mostly trivial line vs A later-canon chapter tied to a movie by timeline, backed up by an artbook and a canon databook.

I'm with KT on this. It seems like a small retcon than not. Brook's line isn't even clear on whether it's his first battle as a straw hat, or just with them. His own dialogue contradicts him.

I am not asking for someone to calculate them now, but I will be informing you, Tempest, of some relevant feats for this movie.
Maybe you can calculate them, or ask someone to do so once this thread is accepted. I've uploaded them all into streamable for your convenience.

Sunny compared to Shiki's ship/island thingy.

Luffy pulverizes a giant lion statue.
Gotcha
Luffy fragments an island with Gigant Thor Axe (Still waiting for upload)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back