• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Mighty Blade (Goken) Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminiteable

He/Him
Introduction:
Put simply I plan to revise the mighty blade swordsmanship ability from One Piece which I feel currently isn't properly defined by being durability negation as well as clarifying it's limits that have been shown to us.

How it actually works:
According to the Vivre Card it explains the ability like this: "By sensing his opponent's "breath", he can determine the speed, power and angle of where he should cut at, drawing his sword at great speeds to cut through iron!!"

Put simply the ability to cut through iron or any object with Goken requires sensing an object or opponent's breath which is exactly what Zoro said in chapter 195. By sensing the breathe of something it grants him the knowledge he needs to be able to cut something perfectly, this technique doesn't actually raise their AP or allow them to cut anything without momentum which is what it's currently getting defined as on the wiki.

This means any swordsman who is capable of mighty blade swordsmanship is capable of utilizing the breathe of all things, and we find out that Hyogoro doesn't have Observation Haki telling us that it's not an ability produced via that method.

And as defined in Wano a crucial component to this ability is Ryuo which as Hyogoro describes is a requirement as they imbue it into the blade which allows them to cut through steel or not even a piece of paper which is all dictated by the sword wielder's desire/will. This is also shown in the Daz Bones fight where Zoro first attempts to use the ability he states "Convey my will to the blade" and the blade followed his desire.

The Limitations:
This ability has clearly shown the inability to cut through objects such as steel if their durability is too high, examples include when Zoro attempted to cut the underground sea tunnel with this ability but failed due to it being very heavily reinforced steel. Another time was when he cut into Kuma's shoulder but only left a dent instead of a cut because Kuma was too durable.

It also needs to be mentioned that Zoro has never displayed this ability against flesh, although I'm skeptical of limiting it because he did imply he would use the ability against Kaku's iron body and he clearly attempted to use the ability on Kuma without prior knowledge that Kuma was a cyborg.

Pre-timeskip Zoro's usage:
Currently we say Zoro can only use this ability in the pre-timeskip with his Shishi Sonson and Rashomon attacks, but truthly he's shown the aptitude to use it in all his attacks and even with no named attacks; existing examples are Zoro cutting through Ohm's iron cloud sword and when he tried to cut through the underground sea tunnel.

Defining "The Breathe of all things" as an ability on the wiki:
Personally I feel the best ability to describe this would be Information Analysis as it seems to be the only one that clearly defines the abilities; Allowing one to know the trajectory of inanimate objects before they move, knowing the location of inanimate objects despite not being visible etc.

Defining Goken as an ability on the wiki:
I feel the abilities Power Boost and Limited Power reduction best reflect this ability as to reach the damage it's dealing it requires a condition to be met; that condition being to read the breathe of something to perfectly cut them. And for it only to increase the damage of the attack and not the user entirely which is the case with Goken.

As for Limited Power reduction this would cover the part of the ability which makes Zoro able to cut something without dealing harm to it, although the ability on the wiki seems to only imply this would effect the opponent's attacking the user which is why I feel it should be described as a limited version.

Last edited:
I agree so everybody who uses goken gets information analysis(or + another justification), power boost and limited power reduction?

Seems good to me I also agreed with it being dura neg but these seem to fit the ability more.

I agree so everybody who uses goken gets information analysis(or + another justification), power boost and limited power reduction?

Seems good to me I also agreed with it being dura neg but these seem to fit the ability more.
Yeah all confirmed Goken users would have this; Zoro, Ryuma, Mihawk and Hyogoro.

So, if i got everything right, it isn't durability negation at all, it's just a very precise cut at the targets "weak spot" that they get with the breath?

Wouldn't this end up changing a lot of things? Especially since it wont be considered durability neg anymore
Some profiles? A few matches?

Anyway, i agree with everything.

Edit: but there isn't really any better power than damage reduction? It seems to be a bit too different from any other user of this power even if the name fits.

Edit: but there isn't really any better power than damage reduction? It seems to be a bit too different from any other user of this power even if the name fits.
I know what you mean but I couldn't really find anything that better describes it.

I know of at least one one match that needs to be removed from his incons now, as i have finished BC.

But back on topic, i think the "will not damage" part is either sheer skill or some sort of energy control (as in, controlling their strength/energy to not damage anything that isn't the target), it seems a very specific thing that we don't really have a category/page for (i think it could even be listed with "normal text" instead of "blue text" in his P&A, i think anyone can understand "can make his blade not damage things in it's path that aren't the target" without a link to a page explaining it).

Yeah, this looks good, although I feel like Empowerment would be good since it sounds like through their desires/wills, their attacks become strengthened to cut through steel

That second ability sounds a lot like Law’s ability to cut things without dealing damage

But back on topic, i think the "will not damage" part is either sheer skill or some sort of energy control (as in, controlling their strength/energy to not damage anything that isn't the target), it seems a very specific thing that we don't really have a category/page for (i think it could even be listed with "normal text" instead of "blue text" in his P&A, i think anyone can understand "can make his blade not damage things in it's path that aren't the target" without a link to a page explaining it).
That works
although I feel like Empowerment would be good since it sounds like through their desires/wills, their attacks become strengthened to cut through steel
Empowerment more so effects the user as a whole based off outside forces, an example would be Erza's emotion enhancement increases her strength fully.

Don't fully agree but... I agree

I think the breath of all things isn't necessary... He only needs to know what he is cutting, by using the breath of all things he can read what he is going to cut to help him determine what he is cutting like Mr.1's Iron body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back