• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Fujitora's meteor velocity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that the speed calc here assumes that the OP Earth is much bigger compared to our regular Earth.

But then God Movement actually accepted said calc so I have no opinion on this at this point.

Hmm. Is this speed used by the OBD wiki? If so, what result would it give for Fujitora's AP, and would it be an outlier?

Not sure it would be an outlier if accepted since the feat happened more than once and was shown to be of occasional use and consistent each time, that's like the meteor feat for fairy tail that got accepted when the series never showed feats on that level ever.

@Lina Cin did a calc for the OP planet and it was 14X bigger than the sun so there is some truth to it being bigger than our own.

I'm confused, I had a look at the calc in the link and while I'm no mathematician or physicist by any means, I do understand that to measure the speed of an object u need to have a given distance. So question just where did the distance used for this come from? Unless I'm missing something (pls correct me if I am) there's never been an actual presentation for the size of the OP world, so just how is this valid??

Can't this be moved or asked in calculation evaluation thread?

And it's 2k Mach so, I am not sure if it's an outlier, sure their biggest speed until now I think is around 700 mach,but it's not that big of a diffrence...

Guess the only problem is assumed planet size.

That's the biggest issue with the whole calc in general, there's no official way to scale the planet because there's no official saying on how big the planet is, only assumption based on a few places on the planet itself, alabasta had a river that was used to calc its size and got something around the size of a continent and only appeared to be a dot on the planet with no surrounding islands or landmasses making it reasonable to assume the planet to be larger than the earth, but that's my issue with the whole thing to begin with since we have nothing official and only speculation.

Just saying, if we assume it's the size of earth then looking at it definitely shows our moon not being as big as the larger ones, so yea I can at least assume the planet size to be the size of our own since that's what everyone on this site does.

While it's not a 1:1 scale as I may have made the earth and moon too big, this is a quick comparison I did
5feef55b-6924-4ad5-89ef-e877ef12fbc4
The moon looks to be the size of the one piece planets farthest moon, but I don't calc so this could be wrong.

Yeah,okay... Let's just see what will they decide about this feat and if assumed size for the planet is actually okay,but I doubt since we always need a proof rather than assumption so, let's just end it there.

I have no problems with the One Piece world being much larger than our own, but as LOOKATMYBOOT mentioned, there are no official statements, only assumptions, and I find it extremely hard to accept it being much larger than our Sun.

So, the main question here becomes: Are we allowed to use a calculated planet size, even though there are no official sizes for said planet? If this calculated planet size is accepted, what about the gravity/density/etc. ?

Note that we did this with the Fairy Tail planet size however, seeing that we are okay with the FT Earth > than our own.

I think that the issue is more that the One Piece planet being considerably larger than '''the Sun''' seems beyond what is rationally plausible.

I think there was a couple of calcs that placed the planet size somewhere around Jupiter size or smaller, I'll have to find it, I also think it was accepted on narutoforums as well.

The speed of the meteorite is not being scaled to the size of the planet, but to the atmosphere scaling from the direct view of Alabasta

I'll do the calculation now (using the first panel):

Alabasta2
Panel height = 381px Alabasta = 3226.8km for the length = 16px 2atan(tan(70/2)*(16/381)) in degrees = 2.27981118 degrees

In Angsize, the distance = 81,085km

at 17km/s, it would take 4770 seconds or 1.325 hours to fall to the ground.

If that's the case, Law must've brought out a lawn chair to chill while waiting for the meteorite to fall down. Perhaps read a book.

On a serious note, even if we took the 2nd panel (since it is possible that the view I calculated could potentially be in space), there are still tens of thousands of kilometers between the view and the ground.

Law, who was trying to escape, would not have sat idle to wait for Fujitora's attack or over 2 minutes, let alone over an hour.

In 120 seconds, the meteorite would have fallen 675708.333333m/s, which is Mach 1929.

I believe that everyone here is assuming that the speed is being scaled to the planet size, when that is not the case. It is being scaled from the visible atmosphere distance between a direct view scaling's sight and Alabasta.

@Lina don't really think this is the same as the FT world calc; Theres we were given several maps depicting at first the entirety of Fiore then later maps depicting the entire world and then still we were given s view from space with an actual distance to scale from. But here we have very little to go off (in my opinion). And gravity and density? I thought that we always just assumed that the gravity and density were always using earth as a standard in order to simplify the work done by the calc group?

@David - you are right regarding gravity. We assume 1G until the verse is explicitly stated to be different from our planet.

However, as I stated, the planet is not what the meteorite speed is being scaled to. it is the atmosphere's depth. The calculation has nothing to do with gravity at all.

The calculation scaled the size of the atmosphere, and stated that 11km/s would be unrealistic due to the large time-frame Law and Doflamingo waited (it would have taken at least half an hour).

@Davidsteel1: Are here we are scaling the map of the OP Earth from the Grand Line, and apparently

On a serious note, why was the Mach 1940 speed for the meteor rejected in the first place, if the size of Alabasta was measured to be 3226.8 km in size?

Was it because of an assumed timeframe issue?

@Lina - I am under the impression that it is because the size of the planet is rejected due to no confirmation of the size (and rightfully so), but that's the problem--> most people I've brought this up to believe that the calculation is regarding the massive size of the planet, when it is scaling the meteorite speed to the atmosphere, which is scaled to be tens of thousands of kilometers in a few panel views.

the "39,XXXkm" distance is from top of the atmosphere to the ground, which is why 11km/s in the case of Fujitora's meteorite makes no sense. it would've taken over half an hour for it to fall that distance at such a speed.

@Cin yeah I just saw ur earlier post regarding the meteor being scaled from the atmosphere not the planet size. Didn't see it b4 my previous post, but if that's the case I really see no problem with it, thanks for clarifying. I have a question; u said we assume the gravity of a planet to be 1g until the planet in question is explicitly stated to be different- just how different? Is this in relation to size or solely due to the authors discretion?

@David - most fictional planets have very little detail on the contents, mass, size, and gravity of the planet.

If we look at the Toriko planet, it has a mountain that is stated to have 10G force on it, or something. If we look at Namek from DBZ, it is explicitly stated by King Kai that the planet has 5G, and the same with King Kai's own small planet.

If such things were not stated or showcased, we would assume Namek to have 1G force instead of 5 (or whatever it was).

We can't assume a massive gravity for One Piece since if it had Jupiter level gravity, it being a solid planet (unless stone is thousands of times more durable than our stone) would be impossible.

We can, however, assume that the meteorite fell at an incredibly fast speed due to Fujitora's pull on it, and that it would be impossible for the meteorite to fall 80,000 km at 11km a second with Law wanting to escape, and having an hour time-frame to sit still and watch in shock.

If Oda had a character state that the gravitational pull was something like 3G, then we'd be capable of applying all falling and lifting feats to that statement, for example.

So it seems that I may have stumbled upon something interesting from this calc here. I made a comment in regards to the calc that the OP planet has

• Diameter = 3,187,500 km
  • Gravity = 250.5 times Earth gravity
  • GBE = 2.196e44 Joules; Large Star level
if the density of said planet was the same as ours (considering that the planet in question looks like ours, why is it not made of the same material as ours?)

According to this calculator, the surface escape velocity/minimum impact velocity for objects approaching from outer space to said planet is about 2,798,200 m/s, or Mach 8222.74.

Take that however you will.

@Lina - Yeah, i made that calc using what we had so far from any information given from the verse... HOWEVER, some of it is from assumption, and I did the calc primarily for fun. It is far from the true size the planet could be, if we're even given its true size.

The minimum impact/surface escape velocity goes up/down based on the gravity and the size of the OP planet in question, I guess.

All I am going to say at this point is that the Mach 1940 meteor speed is not high enough, if we are using your stats for the OP planet in question.

@Lina - We're not going to use plant size until we're given confirmation on it, but Mach 1940 is the lowest speed it can be if we're trying to find a reasonable time-frame given that 11km/s gives us anywhere between 30 and 75 minutes depending on the depth of the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back