• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One of our speed values is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeijiSetto

VS Battles
Calculation Group
our page on speed has baseline Sub-Rel (i.e starting at 1% SoL) as Mach 8810.2, where Mach 1 is 343m/s.

Qsei45y.png

Mach 8810.2 ≠ (299792458/100).
1% SoL is Mach 8740.3

For the weirdest reason, Sub-Rel+ and Speed Of Light get this one correct, being the right numbers.

t5a3yCr.png

tl;dr baseline Sub-Rel needs to be corrected. Pages that are either Sub-Rel or MHS+ need to have their raw values examined to know if they're close enough to the tier boundaries that this change actually affects their rating. This'll have to be a manual process, it seems.

It doesn't have to be perfect and typos happen all the time. I'd hardly call this "Wiki wide" but just a simple typo fix and possibly characters who need slight adjustment accordingly. But I doubt we have any profiles of characters scaling from a number in that specific range; and even if we did; the character A > B > C scaling chains might just make Sub-Relativistic upscaling from MHS+ feat less controversial.

That’s like… rlly not much at all. Hard disagree with me.

SoL typically gets rounded to 3e+8 ms^-1

(3e+8/100) / 340.3 = Mach 8815

Mach 8810 would work just fine.

It doesn't have to be perfect and typos happen all the time.
i'm aware. i brought it up to agnaa and my first suggestion was just "let me get the page unlocked and i'll just change it", he suggested i make a CRT
I'd hardly call this "Wiki wide" but just a simple typo fix and possibly characters who need slight adjustment accordingly.
wasn't sure what else to call it! and yes, that is exactly what i'm suggesting be done here.

That’s like… rlly not much at all. Hard disagree with me.
it's not exactly something you can "hard disagree" with lol
all i'm saying is "this value is wrong and i want it to be right" lol

SoL typically gets rounded to 3e+8 ms^-1

(3e+8/100) / 340.3 = Mach 8815

Mach 8810 would work just fine.
the page doesn't round it to 3e8 m/s, and it also uses 343 as Mach 1.
why round it to calculate one value but use the exact 299792458 value for others?
i just want it to be consistent.

wasn't sure what else to call it! and yes, that is exactly what i'm suggesting be done here.
The main issue is that I recall there being discussions saying that click baiting should preferably be avoided.

But anyway, I don't mind fixing the typo regardless.

Where did Mach 8810.2 come from as the baseline for Sub-Relativistic if 10 times that isn't baseline Relativistic?

A small but understandable mistake, my guess is that someone messed up with a calculator in some way.

Considering how much is on that page I'm not really surprised something ended up being slightly off.

Obviously I agree that it should be updated to the correct value, thankfully it's not a big difference and I highly doubt many profiles are affected by this.

our page on speed has baseline Sub-Rel (i.e starting at 1% SoL) as Mach 8810.2, where Mach 1 is 343m/s.

Qsei45y.png

Mach 8810.2 ≠ (299792458/100).
1% SoL is Mach 8740.3

For the weirdest reason, Sub-Rel+ and Speed Of Light get this one correct, being the right numbers.

t5a3yCr.png

tl;dr baseline Sub-Rel needs to be corrected. Pages that are either Sub-Rel or MHS+ need to have their raw values examined to know if they're close enough to the tier boundaries that this change actually affects their rating. This'll have to be a manual process, it seems.
I'm pretty sure basically all pages go off the m/s or c count, so I don't think this actually would cause any revision. In that case, I'm totally fine with just fixing a minor error on one of our informational pages.

Aye. Typically I'd be against dedicating manpower for something this small but given this isn't one of our Very Silly Arbitrary thresholds, would be nice to see it fixed.

Makes me think: Have we documented somewhere that we use Mach 1 = 343 m/s?
Because technically I think it's not standardized and depends on atmospheric conditions to some degree, which is why different calculators also give slightly different numbers for it (340.3 m/s is another popular one, but I have even seen 295 m/s before)
If not, might as well write that down while we are at it.

Anyway, the change seems ok.

Unless we’ve gotta change the character speed ratings, suppose I concede.
Well if a character falls in between this Mach 8740.3 to Mach 8810.2 range, they’d be upgraded (I say “upgraded” as loosely as possible here because really nothing’s actually changing as far as values go) to Sub-Relativistic. That’s about it though

Well if a character falls in between this Mach 8740.3 to Mach 8810.2 range, they’d be upgraded (I say “upgraded” as loosely as possible here because really nothing’s actually changing as far as values go) to Sub-Relativistic. That’s about it though
It will be high end MHS+ if the value falls into high end MHS+ but does not breach sub-relativistic. Simple as that.

However, since we have a practice that we assign a value of "Wall level+" in between the mean value of Wall level benchmark and small building level benchmark, do we practice the same in speed as well? Or are we going to rephrase everything? Or just call our high end MHS+ still MHS+?

BTW I agree with the proposed change.

Just... I believe we just scrutinise every speed value assignments with out leisure time and fix it on the spot is okay. Digging them out all at one will be time consuming. Not that a real lot of speed values actually tap into this embarrassing region.

It will be high end MHS+ if the value falls into high end MHS+ but does not breach sub-relativistic. Simple as that.

However, since we have a practice that we assign a value of "Wall level+" in between the mean value of Wall level benchmark and small building level benchmark, do we practice the same in speed as well? Or are we going to rephrase everything? Or just call our high end MHS+ still MHS+?

BTW I agree with the proposed change.

Just... I believe we just scrutinise every speed value assignments with out leisure time and fix it on the spot is okay. Digging them out all at one will be time consuming. Not that a real lot of speed values actually tap into this embarrassing region.
yeah i probably should have phrased myself better
i'm not suggesting that staff or whoever manually go through all MHS+/Sub-Rel pages and look for any that fall into this small region
just that the value get changed and anyone who knows of the rare occurence where it DOES need a change can then do so

How many characters are even within this border even? Should be a small change in and of itself.

Well, no. Say a character scales to Mach 8750. By our current standards, that'd be MHS+. If this thread passes, though, it'd be Sub-Relativistic

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself but on that high of an end I just check the c and go off that

Either way I doubt there are that many examples that exactly fit into this kind of gap, and if there are, oh well, shouldn't be too hard to just observe and fix offhand

Well, no. Say a character scales to Mach 8750. By our current standards, that'd be MHS+. If this thread passes, though, it'd be Sub-Relativistic
Well this has nothing to do with rounding up or down.

And if a character scales to Mach 8750 speed feat, they always scale to such.

This thread aims to correct our prior silly typos. Like we amend our sub relativistic speed baseline value.

So... Just to confirm: what is the value of speed to be called light speed or Mach 1 for vs debate and power scaling purpose now? 343 m/s and 300,000,000 m/s respectively or...
(And sub-relativistic speed is still 1% light speed while relativistic speed is 10% speed right?)

I'm aware that the value doesn't change. There's just a few cases where the tier would change because of a change in what the baseline for Sub-Rel is. All I'm saying is that those such characters would be the only ones affected (and really it's just a matter of changing the tier name they fall into and that's it)

I highly doubt this would really change characters still sitting in the High-end MHS+ to Sub-Relativistic category

I'm aware that the value doesn't change. There's just a few cases where the tier would change because of a change in what the baseline for Sub-Rel is. All I'm saying is that those such characters would be the only ones affected (and really it's just a matter of changing the tier name they fall into and that's it)
Although the question would start boiling down this: if this thread would really affect these characters, why aren't you already upscaling from the range when it was like this before?

Although the question would start boiling down this: if this thread would really affect these characters, why aren't you already upscaling from the range when it was like this before?
Well it depends. If a character scales directly to a Mach 8750 calc (such as if they're the one that directly did the feat), you can't really upscale like that

So... Just to confirm: what is the value of speed to be called light speed or Mach 1 for vs debate and power scaling purpose now? 343 m/s and 300,000,000 m/s respectively or...
(And sub-relativistic speed is still 1% light speed while relativistic speed is 10% speed right?)
Lightspeed = c = 299,792,458 m/s. On the dot.
Mach 1 = 343m/s.
Baseline Sub-Relativistic starts at 1% Speed Of Light (2,997,924.58 m/s, Mach 8740.3) and baseline Relativistic starts at 10% Speed of Light ( (29,979,245.8 m/s, Mach 87403)

If this revision has been accepted, is somebody here willing to carefully apply the required edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back