• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Omnipresence possibly slowest speed or not speed at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the page for omnipresence and it claims to be the fastest speed as it allows the user to "be present anywhere and everywhere at any and every given moment". This kind of doesn't make any sense to me as I think of it like this: if you are able to be omnipresent, then this would mean you can be anywhere and everywhere all of the time. However, if you are anywhere and everywhere, then wouldn't that mean there is no need for you to move and/or you can't move since you're everywhere (if said case is true, speed = ZERO?)? This is just what I think, but I suggest that either omnipresence shouldn't be listed as the fastest speed, but rather the slowest speed due to not even needing to move in the first place or omnipresence be removed from the speed section entirely.

In this context, all speed really means is who you can blitz. You can blitz darn near anyone if you're omnipresent.

A few mistakes:

Actually, Omnipresence is more like a point of existence than speed. At least IMHO.

allows the user to "be present anywhere and everywhere at any and every given moment"

If you are Omnipresent technically you exist anywhere, everywhere and nowhere all of them at the same time.

This kind of doesn't make any sense

Alongside Omnipotence and Omniscience, none of them makes sense at all.

WarriorWare said:
In this context, all speed really means is who you can blitz. You can blitz darn near anyone if you're omnipresent.
But isn't omnipresense THE movement speed instead of the combat one?

If you're everywhere at once without being the size of everything then you Both are and aren't wherever your opponent attacks, hence why it doesn't make sense.

Perhaps the human sized body of an omnipresent being is just a vessel and not its true form? Also, the definion reads that he can exist anywhere and everywhere at the same time, but nowhere does it say he can exist nowhere (this would mean he would effectively cease to exist).

Well, being omnipresent, as I understand it, simply means that everybody and everything else below one's own level of existence, exists within one's own body, regardless whether that body is physical, conceptual, or both in combination.

@Antvasima: The VSwiki staff team has agreed that Chara is omnipresent, right? I have to know this because if Chara really is omnipresent she may be getting an upgrade very soon.

I am not informed about Undertale, and am tired at the moment, but you can ask Azathoth for information.

KamiYasha said:
A few mistakes:
Actually, Omnipresence is more like a point of existence than speed. At least IMHO.

allows the user to "be present anywhere and everywhere at any and every given moment"

If you are Omnipresent technically you exist anywhere, everywhere and nowhere all of them at the same time.

This kind of doesn't make any sense

Alongside Omnipotence and Omniscience, none of them makes sense at all.
Cough* *Cough*

Think of it like this: If you were to race an omnipresent being, he would be there the exact instance the race starts, even though he is also at the starting line. If you were to fight him, you would be getting hit everywhere at once by someone who is everywhere at once. Make sense?

PasserbyPhilosopherofNEVER said:
Of course I see how omnipresence works, just that it bugs me that omnipresence is listed as a speed when you are practically not needing to move at all.
What would we even list as speed for an Omnipresent character if we didn't list it under speed?

I don't really know about that. I was suggesting that their speed could possibly exceed every concept, but that would most definitely mean the speed would be considered beyond omnipresence, assuming that kind of logic was even possible.

Well, as I mentioned, omnipresence is not necessarily entirely illogical. Think of it as yourselves being omnipresent to the bacteria of your bodies, and apply that to higher levels of beings.

IMO if someone is omnipresent, their speed should be listed at N/A. I mean, speed involves/requires movement..you can't really 'move' anywhere if you're already everywhere at the same time. Now that I think about it, moving anywhere as an omnipresent would technically be impossible..cause you can't really move to the same place (which is everywhere in this case...)

We should keep their speed mentioned as being omnipresent or nigh-omnipresent to lower beings.

The question is whether we should mention their speed levels as perceived by higher lifeforms outside of their influence? However, this would likely cause an unnecessary amount of work, as it should usually be blatantly obvious that tier 1-C or 1-B characters have immeasurable speed, and tier 1-A and tier 0 characters irrelevant speed.

To be blunt, changing or removing Omnipresent as a speed rating is a horrible idea.

For one, there are too many pages to update and it'd be a pain.

Omnipresence is, even if it doesn't 'technically' work as speed, the best way to describe that scale of speed. It works for what it is and replacing it with something like 'N/A' would only confuse more casual visitors to the wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back