• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Okay, but, how good are references ACTUALLY?

PhantomØ4

He/Him
I am genuinely curious if references have been actually as helpful as they sound on paper for anyone in non-massive verses that extend several works/distinct series.

Honestly, does anyone actually go around fixing links for series they don't know?
Has the extra time commitment payed off?
Has it saved more time than the time you initially put in?

• I am the type of person who will fill a profile with almost every single scan for almost every single ability a character has (and generally they always have at least a decent amount), but references have really been nothing more than a hassle and demotivated for me. As someone who does not participate in particularly expansive verses, I really have seen little to no pay off on requiring references on all profiles on everything.
  • There's also profiles with references but little scans when I would 1000 times prefer to see the spam instead of having to go look for everything myself.
  • Additionally out of 100 people that visit the page 1 is gonna bother to even consider downloading a volume of a novel if they do not already have it to check the already linked scan.
  • If the link breaks then a supporter (who would know or could figure it out anyways) fixes the link or it remains broken.

I am aware that my experience is not that which everyone else and so I just wanted to know what other people that have had to add references think because for me it multiplies my time investment by at least 1.5 times.

References is mostly for revision mindset, theoretically with references peoples will know the source of such scans, statement, justifications and verifies if they are legit or not, etc.....
Well in reality, almost no one have energy to check verse they don't care though

it's there for further proof, not only that, with reference, you can find the scan yourself, as many people go by "seeing is believing"

also my researcher soul tells me to include reference

Ah, so not much help beyond visually appealing cuz 99% of people do not actually go find the scans themselves lol. I actually find it that its s more inconvenient if you have to go find it yourself in cases where there is only a reference.

The point of references is very simple: Fact checking.

Plenty of universes here come from media that's incredibly difficult to consume easily or find stuff. How many thousands of Superman comics are there? Do you expect someone to go through dozens of Warhammer novels to very a random claim you make? How about things that come from Light Novels or manga that's hundreds to thousands of chapters deep?

References are required because when someone checks a power, they're able to find out the source where that power comes from. It makes debates better, makes CRTs easier and allows people who want to know more the ability to know more.

Question because it's relevant to the thread, if a character only appears in say, a single film or video game, should specific timestamps/scenes be referenced?

should specific timestamps/scenes be referenced?
If possible, yeah. For the reasons I mentioned.

Otherwise most people wouldn't fault you for not doing so. Like Morbius doesn't need to have timestamps or anything for the profile to work.

References helpful for looking at a verse I don't know and going "oh ok this is where that happened".

Doesn't effect those who know, but for shit you aren't knowledgeable on it's good.

For proof. Without references you can't prove that the scan you used wasn't drawn up by yourself. So for this purpose you must create references so I have proof that your evidence actually exists.

Some scans can be vague as well or will only make sense if you properly read the entire build up properly. With a reference you can easily have access to the entire context which could avoid unnecessary CRT downgrades from someone who is not knowledgable in the verse because no one is available to properly explain why this scans implies that or this

If possible, yeah. For the reasons I mentioned.

Otherwise most people wouldn't fault you for not doing so. Like Morbius doesn't need to have timestamps or anything for the profile to work.
Normally speaking if they appear only within that movie or video game and never again, the name itself should be enough. Timestamps IMHO aren't really needed.

For video games usually mission names are given, so using just those should be fine.

For books, the Chapter Number also usually works. No need to go too indepth with the page number because they could vary from publication to publication.

Back