• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Offensive hax vs Defensive hax: double standards?

Another problem with Gagamaru's Redirection is that it literally describes his power as something that ''can't'' be explained by any form of logic or scientific reasoning.

We should probably wait for Pachi's ban to expire.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Well, I guess I could ask here, but how do we treat different power stealing abilities?
That is pretty off-topic. Would probably deserve its own thread in Q&A.

Abilities that permanently steal anothers ability will usually work regardless of power. There are constraints regarding which abilities, though.

Someone that can steal magic can possibly not steal mutations and vise verse.

Likewise if you have just demonstrated stealing abilities like fire manipulation, you might not be able to steal abilities like conceptual manipulation, simply due to how fundamentally different they are.

And being able to properly use stolen abilities is another matter entirely.

I agree with Don'tTalk here. Also, nice username color.

Maybe its just because that's how many shows have conditioned us to think. Not about to defend the double standard, but I think I understand why its people's knee jerk reaction to call NLF on defensive hax while often giving offensive hax a slide

Like, in most shonen and comics, it feels like its usually the defensive hax that are over powered by superior stats. In dragon ball, which is one of the most important verses when it comes to VS debating in general, the offensive hax like absorbsion or the devil beam are treated as far more of a threat, where as things like Buu's elastic nature or Cell's Regenerationn are just minor issues to be over powered by brute force. With superman, his invulnerability (we know in the VS community that it is meerly extremely high durability, but growing up I always percieved it as something more akin to what we would call hax) is just some minor issue to be over come by brute force. But Martian Man Hunter's fazing or The Flash's speed stealing? that was a real threat that it didn't matter how strong you are. In One Piece, Law's Surgeon Fruit is basically a win if he gets you in his range, but The logia fruit users go down with sufficient Haki (albiet, this was only true part way through the series). JJBA has Tusk Act 4 over powering Love Train, or TWOH over powering GER. Etc. Etc.

Its because how most verses that favor VS Debating often have an issue with power escalation. These verses usually favor offenese over defense, let's be real. Its easier to show power feats than durability feats, outside of scaling. You need some level of destruction to even show durability feats. Unless you have a character cause that destruction for them to tank, you need some other contrived reason for this mass destruction. You naturally won't have a way to show for a character to have High Godly regen outside of a verse with at least some level of Universal+ destruction going on. You get the idea

Anyway, small rant on the topic

He has been appointed as an official wiki consultant by the bureaucrats, the same position as DarkLK.

Back