• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Magikarp also has several IQ Skills. Although, as it's in the C Group, some are actually to its detriment if they're active. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/IQ#IQ_groups Notable IQ Skills include:

Concentrator: Raises Accuracy by 1 but decreases Evasion by 1.

Practice Swinger: Raises Attack and Special Attack by 1 on the turn after a missed attack.

Aggressor: Raises both Attack stats by 1 each, but decreases both Defense stats by 1 each.

Counter Basher: Lowers Defense by 1, and sometimes sends the damage taken back to the foe if the foe is adjacent.

Clutch Performer: Raises Evasion by 2 when HP is below 25%.

Extra Striker: Sometimes strikes again following an attack.

Intimidator: Sometimes causes attacking foe to cringe.

The result of those IQ Skills being active seems to be that Magikarp's durability & evasion (When above 25% HP.) are worse, but it's AP is great, & it can sometimes counter attack at close range, power up briefly if it misses, & immobilize the foe briefly or attack again if it hits.

Almost as hardcore a fish as Dwarf Fortress carp.

Given Magikarp's apparent statistics advantage (Although its IQ Skills means it may actually be fighting at -2 DEF & -1 Evasion, among other stat changes, if all of them are active.) & it having good range & ability, I suppose so.

SirFrancisOfTheFilth2 said:
Magikarp GODSTOMPS Ninja FRA
That is to say, you propose that this is a stomp of "godly" levels, & thus an invalid match that shouldn't be added?

Incidentally, I did notice that Ninja might have ONE out.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Standard_Battle_Assumptions

"Outside Influence: None. No characters of either verse, aside from those participating in the battle, may influence the outcome of the battle in any way."

However, SBA puts the default location as Central Park, & Ninja has " Statistics Amplification (Becomes more powerful by getting kills) ".

Central Park's residents are from the Real World, not Pokemon or The Most Dangerous Game.

So if Ninja realizes he's outmatched (Something his high stamina might help with, but not his arrogance.), he could avoid the water, & try killing all the local animals & people to power up.

Since he can resurrect others, he could also resurrect & re-kill to power up.

But I dunno if it'd be enough.

He could also try to use his skill; Magikarp can't attack from afar except with Hydro Pump (IIRC, it's monodirectional & a fairly thick column.) & Dragon Rage, which, being a shockwave of pure rage, Magikarp MIGHT need to be angry before it tries.

Heck:

Range: Below standard melee range (Is .9 meters. Standard melee range begins at 1 meter). Likely up to hundreds of meters with Hydro Pump.

Magikarp might not even HAVE good range with Dragon Rage.

However, IDK if Ninja's skill & abusing killing Central Park's people & animals (& resurrecting for repeat kills.) to power up would give it enough of an edge. He'd also have to avoid Magikarp while doing so, even if Magikarp isn't SUPER mobile on land.

Alright, as much as I want my boy Magikarp to win, x3 AP isn't much, and Magikarp is basically unable to fight, it'll spend half its time flopping around and will likely be kind of a coward. NInja definitely has a good shot at just stabbing it in the eyes or gills.

Now, if you excuse me, I'll go wash myself, I feel dirty.

Here's the thing, they won't be constant, Magikarp basically spams random moves, and half of them are a variation of "flop around with various degrees of success", I doubt it has the intelligence to realize it has to zone his foe away with his projectile attack.

Eh, elder Magikarps are said to be physically stronger, but still pathetic in the Pokèdex, and in Platinum there's a post-game area where you can catch Level 100 Magikarps and they are still very worthless (doubly so since they can't evolve)

I mean I dunno only relying on the game isn't really taking the full picture. Every Pokémon is inclined to know how to fight. Also I think it's putting too much benefit in Ninja's favor. You can't just say skill without giving examples.

I guess there is a Magikarp that's really competent in the anime, so if it's that sort we're talking about he wins.

Back