• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New P&A Proposal - Hive Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Ovens

Resident Kitchen Appliance
VS Battles
Administrator
Ok, so it came to my attention that this power did not exist despite many mainstream characters having it.

Here is a draft of the page.

That can be left up to revision and polish, but what I want to talk about is the specifics of such an ability and who it will apply to.

So we know what a Hive Mind is on paper, but to put it bluntly, it is a single consciousness spread across multiple bodies. For mainstream examples think Unity from Rick and Morty or Tyranids from Warhammer 40,000. The former is an example of a true singular entity possessing multiple bodies. The latter is an example of a shared mind that is linked to each other but each individual instance has its own personality, consciousness, agenda, etc.

The benefits of such an ability would include not dying when one instance is killed, sharing information between instances to boost the overall efficiency of the group, coordination, etc.

More can be discussed below.​

No it's the correct sandbox. The ability draft is at the bottom.

This seems uncontroversial to me as well.

This is inverse. This is one entity/consciousness as opposed to numeral inhabiting multiple bodies instead of a singular one.

Also, if everyone is in agreement with the addition of this ability, we should work on finding out who should get it.

Would certain Pokémon fall under this category, then? Ones like Dugtrio, Magneton or Dragapult?

Only if it's proven that they share the same mind, otherwise it's Multiple Selves type 3 due to them being 3 physical beings forming a single one.

The difference between what qualifies for Hive Mind and what for Multiple Selves stands in the number of the actual entities.
A single body with multiple minds/souls/physical beings is Multiple Selves.
Multiple bodies having a single mind/soul is Hive Mind.

Besides the guys listed on the page, off the top of my head:

The Kaiju from Pacific Rim

Starro from DCEU

Mouth from Grappler Baki

Ultron from MCU

Mu Siyun from Iron Ladies

The Arachnids from Starship Troopers

The Zerg Swarm from Starcraft

Sigma from Mega Man

Last edited:
This also seems fine to me!

I would note another common weakness would be that normally if the Hivemind is destroyed or harmed in some way, everybody under its influence is generally affected.

Also, if everyone is in agreement with the addition of this ability, we should work on finding out who should get it.
Some that I remember of the top of my head are
From prototype: (Type 1)
Elizabeth Greene
Supreme Hunter
And to a lesser extent Alex Mercer

From Fate: (Type 2)
Goetia

From To aru: (Type 1)
Kakine

From gurren lagan: (not sure if it's type one or two)
The Anti spiral

Last edited:
I think all Terminator models possess this due to being part of Skynet. The Borg from Star Trek most certainly do.

(I agree with the proposals btw)

I already spoke to Ovens about this. Not opposed at all.

I think that this has sufficient support to be applied then.

Alright, I'll compile a list and make the necessary adjustments.

I think that would be case by case since individuals in Type 2 Hive Minds would probably still be affected by mind manipulation themselves but not the hive.

Type 1s would require manipulation of the whole hive to affect the entity. This is unless the fiction depicts manipulation of a single instance affecting the whole hive. Otherwise I believe we should default to the former.

So the equivalent of these Hive Mind and Multi-Hive Mind, not really opposed to the power, no. However, Type 1 do not quite sounds like Hive Mind, is more akin to a character mind controlling directly a bunch of people or manifesting through aspects or minor embodiments. Also feel it could be expanded, instead of Hive Mind it can be named Hive Trait or similar, and could involve two or more characters sharing senses, minds, souls, etc.

I have added Hive Mind to several pages already. I think it's best if everyone adds Hive Mind to any page I left out. Link this thread to them when you make the adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back